• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Just a friendly reminder that winter is right around the corner.

Don't forget to winterize your BOB's & BOV's for the oncoming seasonal changes. Winter Clothing, Straps, Shovels, Kitty Litter, etc...

:)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    For those who don't implement a complete BOB, consider this: A spare pair of socks and gloves.

Ever since I started driving I kept spare work gloves and spare socks behind the seat of my truck. I used to misplace gloves frequently, and in the summer had problems with hot boots and sweat. These bare necessities can be a huge benefit when its 20 degrees outside. Of course a full BOB is better, but its also bigger, more expensive, and requires a bit of time to pull all the pieces together.

A good pair of dry wool socks will keep your feet warm even in wet boots. For $10-15 they are almost worth their weight in gold. If I had to pick only one item out of my winter gear supply, it would be the wool socks. You never know when you may end up helping push some old lady's car out of a ditch and sink your feet into a snow drift.

Hopefully none of us will need them.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If anyone is interested, here is a PDF version of an article I was asked to write for, and that was published in, a newsletter last year on putting together an inexpensive survival kit for the car. It might give you some ideas for your BOB.

Regards,

Jim

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You're welcome. We are working on a FREE online BOB course (among others) and I will announce it here when it is available.

Regards,

Jim

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Your vehicle can save you or kill you. Some things people never do in terms of vehicle survival:

Getting your vehicle back on the road and running is the best thing you can do.

A real snow shovel. At least a Glock or equivalent trenching tool.

A tow strap! Many trucks do not have straps in them. The guy who drives up could pull you out if he only had a tow strap. Be honest, a lot of you reading this do not have a tow strap. It ain't for saving others, it is for saving your own ass. Even if you drive a car, toss a strap in the trunk.

Don't assume your vehicle will be in working order and the engine running. That is a bonus. Good scenario. You just spent the last hour trying to dig your car out of a drift in a ditch. You are cold, wet, it is getting dark and your battery just died.

Have a way to get gasoline OUT of your tank. Same way can be used to put some in too. You need matches. Remember in extreme cold propane stuff will fail. You may have to warm a lighter first to use it. I keep one box of triox bars in my truck door slot and a Toologic knife with flint. Nothing is faster for fire then triox and a spark and in cold, time is life vs death. BTDT.

A small handsaw is faster to collect wood to burn then an axe.

Cheap space blankets, razor blades, tape. Tape up blankets over windows, cut to fit with razors, tape in place. The windows are your single biggest source of heat loss. Also good reflectors for searchers to see your vehicle.

Source of heat. Even small candles will warm an igloo. A very small catalytic heater using propane can be great. Do your homework on this topic.

Be sure to clear your tailpipe of snow during a storm. Run engine for 15 minutes per hour. Vehicles burn about a gallon of gas per hour at idle. Good reason to keep your tank full.

Keep water in small manageable containers like nalgene bottles or Platypus bladders. They can be tossed on the dashboard and thawed with the defroster. FYI bottles do not freeze that much in vehicles around Central and Southern Indiana. Especially in daily drivers. Even regular water bottles tend to hold up when frozen.

Assume you will be lost and have maps and compass. Screw road maps, if you are lost that will not be enough. A Delormee Gazetter for your home state is ideal. Road, topo and landmarks in detail all in one. (24x7 year round for this)

They call cotton the death cloth for a reason. I love my Wiggys sleepng bag and Wiggys blankets are the best in my opinion for general use in and out of a vehicle. A few years back he made too many and they didn't sell so they were selling cheap. They were his poncho liners. Worth it any price.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom