• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    I am in the process of build my BOB. Right now I am using a cheap backpack with a hydration system. I am wondering which pack would be better. A dedicated hiking/camping pack or a more "Tacticool" pack like some thing from Blackhawk or Maxpedition. I kinda like the later of the two because of the ability to tailor it to your needs with different pouches and other MOLLE type products. However, the hiking packs have nice support frams, waist belts, and better padding. I guess what I am asking is what types do you guys use and why did you choose them? Thanks.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm currently building my BOB as well. I was on EBay and found a Blackhawk 3 day assault pack new for $40. It's very solidly built (1 main compartment, 1 medium, and 1 small) and I'm sure will last quite awhile. It's designed to have a Blackhawk Hydrastorm 100 oz bladder used with it but I haven't gotten one yet. Also has various straps for tieing stuff onto it. Removable waist straps where you could add more gear included. Mine is the digital camo pattern (I wish it were black) but I couldn't pass up the price.

Hunt around and you can find some deals.

Hope that helps,

FG12351

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    keep in mind that the commercial backpacks intended for camping or, guess what, backpacking are designed to be lightweight. loaded with the heavier items in your bob, they will likely not hold up for long. by using a "tacticool" 3day, patrol pack, alice or molle, they will be heavier and not carry as well, but will withstand the abuse. i use a camelback, i think it is a bmf, and a maxpedition jumbo versipack for my ghb needs. my BOB has a V8 and 4wd. hehe.

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    this is what i use with a hydration pack
    it will not brake the bank and it is very sturdy
    you can also attach a lot of stuff to it
    they have different colors

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have a few ALICE packs (a med and a large w/frame). Definitely old school.

I recently picked up a UTG web pack as a medic pack. I am very impressed by this bag. Extremely well made, lots of extras on and in it plus anywhere they could fit MOLLE webbing on it, they did. Sides, back, bottom, all over. Came with a couple MOLLE pouches ect. Makes a perfect medic pack IMO. Plenty of internal cmopartments to help section off your smaller items. Listed as being an 8 gallon capacity. Definately worth every penny for the 60 bucks I paid for it.

UTG Molle AEP Web 3 Day Assault Back Pack - UTGCOMWEBBKPK

I've seen them new on ebay sell for 60 delivered. If you put a blackhawk label on it you could sell it for 200 bucks and people would buy it up.

I love mine.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Think about how long it has to last you. Got to resupply at some point. I keep an assault pack in the truck with the basics, gloves, cap, 2 MRE, hand warmers, chemlights, 100 rds 45, 200 rds 30carbine, poncho liner, and 2 liters of water. The basics. My extended pack is a modified ALICE large, will last me about a week with 7 MRE's and the water purifier. You can check out tactical tailor if you decide to go with an ALICE pack. My number one plan is use the truck for bugging out. All supplies and equipment are in locking top tubs. Tools, oil and fuel are in the bed already. My kids and I have loaded everything within an hour, to include all weapons, ammo, 20 cases of MRE's, and reloading equipment. Not like we expect anything, though!

m39fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Owen County
    We tried the Blackhawk packs but weren't impressed. We now use (and recommend) a 3 day pack from Tactical Tailor:

Three Day Assault Pack Plus

Not the cheapest but definitely one of the best. Consider this, a BOB's job is to reliably/safely carry the items you are depending on. To my way of thinking, this is NOT a place to save money! To give you an idea of the durabilty of these packs (and everything else they make), a couple of my friends in Iraq have them and love 'em!

HTH,
    Mike

Silverlie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Anderson
    I'm working on making my own pack right now, I don't mean putting things together to put in a pack, well i'm doing that too, but once i've assembled everything I need, i'm tailoring a pack to individually compartmentalize everything for quick access, and since i'm building it/ sewing it/ tailoring it, whatever it's called, i can put whatever accessories i may need on it. the exterior is done in a MOLLE webbing format for additional pockets.
    once i'm not stealing works bandwidth, i'll work on posting pictures of the thing up here for critique.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I'm working on making my own pack right now, I don't mean putting things together to put in a pack, well i'm doing that too, but once i've assembled everything I need, i'm tailoring a pack to individually compartmentalize everything for quick access, and since i'm building it/ sewing it/ tailoring it, whatever it's called, i can put whatever accessories i may need on it. the exterior is done in a MOLLE webbing format for additional pockets.
    once i'm not stealing works bandwidth, i'll work on posting pictures of the thing up here for critique.

Sounds good and interesting, I'd like to see it.

I've been considering buying the three-day bag by 5.11 Tactical, they've got a "slip-stick" system that incorporates all kinds of little pouches and stuff, much like the MOLLE system.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Dude, **** tacticool.

Most modern day packs last for years and years and years. A gal came into my store with a Gregory pack that she had since the early 80's, and it was still going strong. She only uses it about three weekends a month though, so I'm not sure if durability is really proven yet. Oh yeah, Gregory made the Army packs for five years or so too. That was probably a fluke though.

I get the tacticool coolness level guys, but realize that quality outdoor gear will last you, and is made to be used hard, harder then you guys are ever going to put stuff through. Even though it doesn't always come in black.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For a BOB, I lean toward sturdy outdoor gear (non-tactical, non military). Works just as well and is lower profile. Attracting the wrong kind of attention is to be avoided.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My primary BOB is a medium ALICE w/out frame. No other mods at all. ALICE packs, both large and small fit me well and I prefer them to most others besides assault packs, Camel bak etc as mission dictates.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The design of the military packs are different than the recreational packs. It is harder to fight/maneuver with a pack that goes from your ass crack to the top of your head. Many recreational packs are plenty tuff but the design is a hinderance. I would start with finding out what your load is then buy a pack. Leaving room for being able to pick up things you find along the way.

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    bob - mine is a get home bag

We can't bug out. We have to bug in.

My wife can't walk very far. If someone makes a tactical electric cart, I'd get one...

Top Bottom