Board member of the Brady Campaign buys a gun (parts 2-4)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    So terminally thick-headed Brady activist Heidi Yewman finally published the rest of her "experiment" in what it is like to be a gun owner. If you haven't read the first part, you might want to reference the first thread on this topic. She has not published anything in quite some time and decided to post parts #2-4 of the 4-part series all at once on a different web site. The first episode was an amazing run through how to be an irresponsible gun owner and despite many comments, both online and from a face-to-face conversation with a policeman, she still refused to get any form of training to understand how, when, where or why to use a firearm properly.

Among the many failures:
    • Keeping the gun in her purse and leaving it unguarded, not once, but multiple times, both at home and when visiting others.
    • Being continuously stressed out about having the gun around, even when it is in a safe.
    • When she is around anyone that she has any concerns about, she is unprepared and untrained in how to use the firearm.
    • A large man enters a stairway behind her at a parking garage. She stares at him to warn him off (as the Oprah show "trained" her) and considers pointing the gun at him. Note that his only offense was to have entered the same stairwell.
    • Doesn't know how to handle hugs while having a gun holstered.
    • Thought that a gun would magically make her feel more powerful, confident, and less fearful. (Guns are a magical talisman after all) Surprised that she isn't because she is more afraid of the gun.
    • Thinks about how she would have to live with the fact that she shot/killed someone if they entered her home and attacked her son. I understand that not everyone can deal with this, but she certainly didn't mention how she would feel if she was in those circumstances and didn't protect her son.
    • Repeatedly quoted debunked statistics about how much more likely you are to killed by your own gun than to use it in self defense. Concludes that having a gun doesn't allow you to protect yourself or others.
    • Finally, took a perfectly good Glock 19 and had is disabled and turned into a "work of art". The poor thing never even got to shoot beyond its one test round. It died far too young and not even in a good cause.

She went into the experiment not to learn anything, but instead to prove her point. She did. Irresponsible people shouldn't own firearms.

Last edited:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Thanks. I plan to review this - but later - my tolerance bank for the level of 'dumb' shown in the first article is nearly depleted (or filled ?) today. ...

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    You have to admit, she got plenty of "ammunition" for her 2-4 articles from some of the crazy comments she received from the first. Whoever told her to put it in her mouth and pull the trigger really did not help the situation.

Overall it is what I expected to read. I was hoping she would actually go to a range and try to shoot the thing...I thought, a little bit of use and she may just start to lose her irrational fear of them. No such luck, destroyed before she even tried it out. I feel sorry for her more so than anger...I wish she would have taken the opportunity to get more comfortable with guns and shooting. That was obviously never her intention - perhaps she was even afraid that might happen? Her fear of guns is the basis of who she is and everything she stands for, she would have to turn her back on all that if she got too comfortable with guns or started to enjoy shooting them.

The only good out of all of this is that the flood of comments from gun owners caused this to get posted all at once instead of dragging it out for no good reason...other than to perhaps gain more attention to herself.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Tagging for later...But Pudly, you've probably summarized well enough that actually reading it might only serve to give me a migraine :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We should all join the Brady Campaign. They're a bunch of clear thinkin' geniuses who know what's best for us little people.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Guns aren't for everyone. I do not care one wit if she has a problem with owning guns personally. Do not project your fears onto others. Period.

Beardown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern Indy
    I'm with brotherbill. I read the first post and then stopped reading the second when she said she left her gun loaded and in her purse with kids around. If she ever jumped on a site like INGO or my old site bayoushooter.com (when I was living in Louisiana), she would notice the importance of safety in the gun community. You cannot go a few posts without reading the rules for safely owning a gun. We're not a bunch of barbarians waving our guns around at random people and places. The huge huge majority of us know the great responsibility it is to own a firearm. I have personally spread the love of firearms to several people, and every single time, I make sure they take a proper class, or I work with them to understand their guns and how to properly use/keep them safe. I'll second pudly's comment too: "Irresponsible people shouldn't own firearms"

Zig'sbird

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I did not read any article outside of the first but sadly I feel that if a child had been hurt by her unsecured pistol she would have blamed it, the NRA, anything and everything EXCEPT herself.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have neither the time, nor the inclination to follow this story.

Let me know when the gun takes possession of her will and causes her to shoot up a day care center. Until that hapens, she hasn't made her point.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Sounds like my dimwitted aunt who was in town for my wedding a little while ago. My grandpa (this aunt and her parents are neighbors in Seattle) was discussing about his time at Gunsite academy and mentioned he didn't bring his glock with him when she broke in stating how unsafe it would be for her and her daughter to be in the same house as his gun. She then stated it is a myth that guns in the house make you safer. I immediately asked him if he owns any ARs yet...he said no and I pointed to the safe and said if he wanted to check some out to let me know since there were 5 or 6 in the safe 10 feet away...
    The look on her face was absolutely priceless!! Apparently she is terrified to live next to him since he owns a gun now LOL!!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The title says it all

"Stupid,’ ‘Immoral,’ ‘Dangerous,’ ‘Coward’: My Month With a Gun"

That is exactly the picture I got of her, stupid, immoral, dangerous and a coward. I would add one of the mindless sheep of the Liberal left.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Did anyone almost pass out from the reek of arrogance. Only the safe and well-fed could write something that stupid.

Yes - I had a headache after I finished it all ...

The title says it all

"Stupid,’ ‘Immoral,’ ‘Dangerous,’ ‘Coward’: My Month With a Gun"

That is exactly the picture I got of her, stupid, immoral, dangerous and a coward. I would add one of the mindless sheep of the Liberal left.

I would add IRRESPONSIBLE to the description of HER.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    Doing the minimum the law required for the article I don't feel includes being deliberately reckless and irresponsible. I was in shock she allowed herself to be in a situation worrying about a loaded gun in her purse in a common room at a party. If you felt that off go to the car and lock it up.

Im really tired of the one size fits all thinking that goes on in gun debates, from both sides. Only God controls all the factors of life.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Doing the minimum the law required for the article I don't feel includes being deliberately reckless and irresponsible. I was in shock she allowed herself to be in a situation worrying about a loaded gun in her purse in a common room at a party. If you felt that off go to the car and lock it up.

Im really tired of the one size fits all thinking that goes on in gun debates, from both sides. Only God controls all the factors of life.

I have to re-read all these ... I don't recall her ever stating she loaded the thing ... or bought ammo
    ... given the hyper-extended-sensitivity and fear ... surely these actions would exacerbate her mental state and required being included
    ... with the amazement that the gun didn't just ... err ... " come to life " and go off ... or some bewildering fear/powertrip ... so I wonder.

... also given the 'fee' and 'no-delay' for a "permit" ... I've not seen an actual state matching what she wrote ... I tried looking; but now I forget.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Doing the minimum the law required for the article I don't feel includes being deliberately reckless and irresponsible.

I reject the premise that doing the minimum required by law to purchase a gun is a predictor of future irresponsible actions. After the purchase was made in compliance with the letter of the law, responsible or irresponsible behavior is 100% due to the authors actions. The author CHOSE to do stupid things that have nothing to do with law. The author CHOSE to carry a gun without, apparently, knowing how to load or fire a weapon. Would she buy a car without learning how to fill the tank with gas? Even the least capable among us learn which end of the hammer drives the nail. This author demonstrated her mental capability to be at a level below basic common sense. Of course, that was intentional in order to portray all gun owners as mindless fools such as herself.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I had to quit reading it halfway through part 3. this woman is so stupid and so ridiculous that I would think even people who are against guns would say - are you stupid that is no way to handle that situation.

She is just a complete fool.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I reject the premise that doing the minimum required by law to purchase a gun is a predictor of future irresponsible actions. After the purchase was made in compliance with the letter of the law, responsible or irresponsible behavior is 100% due to the authors actions. The author CHOSE to do stupid things that have nothing to do with law. The author CHOSE to carry a gun without, apparently, knowing how to load or fire a weapon. Would she buy a car without learning how to fill the tank with gas? Even the least capable among us learn which end of the hammer drives the nail. This author demonstrated her mental capability to be at a level below basic common sense. Of course, that was intentional in order to portray all gun owners as mindless fools such as herself.
    You may have a point about being intentional. It's almost like she's trying to demonstrate how easy it would be for some dumb irresponsible rube to obtain a firearm. Well, I've got news for her. There are dumb, irresponsible rubes in all walks of life that do stupid irresponsible things with plenty of objects other than firearms.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Stupid is as stupid does. She's a liberal and wants to force her opinions and beliefs on everybody because she thinks she knows best. Is anyone surprised at all by her?

Top Bottom