• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asevans

Sharpshooter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Hey
    I have a navy conversion 38 special and a SAA 45 colt. Wanting to reload some black powder cartridges.
    I have some FFFg black powder. Is this what I would use?
    Also. Are LRN or wad cutters ok to use? I would assume so.
    Any black powder load recommendations or pointers?
    I have loaded smokeless before just want to shoot some more original loads.
    Thanks

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yes, the fffg is pistol powder.
    The number of f's determine the granular size
    I'm not sure if 3f is finer than 1f or the other way around.
    Do not use anything marked RS.
    That is rifle/ shotgun powder.

Wadcutters or lrn should work fine. Just pay attention to the overall length.

One note about black powder revolvers.
    There is a situation that can occur that is known as "cross-fire" or "chain-fire" and this can be a very bad day.
    Basically it happens when burning embers touch off a neighboring cylinder.
    The problem there is the next cylinder from the barrel is usually lined up on the frame of the gun.
    If these go off it could destroy your gun, not to mention your hand, eyes,...

The solution is simple, if not a bit messy.
    Once the cylinders are loaded, pack the open end of each chamber with Crisco cooking grease.
    This will seal the chambers from errant sparks but will not affect shooting.
    It actually makes cleaning the bore a little easier.
    Black powder guns are fun, but they can be finicky.
    Stay safe.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yes, the fffg is pistol powder.
    The number of f's determine the granular size
    I'm not sure if 3f is finer than 1f or the other way around.
    Do not use anything marked RS.
    That is rifle/ shotgun powder.

Wadcutters or lrn should work fine. Just pay attention to the overall length.

One note about black powder revolvers.
    There is a situation that can occur that is known as "cross-fire" or "chain-fire" and this can be a very bad day.
    Basically it happens when burning embers touch off a neighboring cylinder.
    The problem there is the next cylinder from the barrel is usually lined up on the frame of the gun.
    If these go off it could destroy your gun, not to mention your hand, eyes,...

The solution is simple, if not a bit messy.
    Once the cylinders are loaded, pack the open end of each chamber with Crisco cooking grease.
    This will seal the chambers from errant sparks but will not affect shooting.
    It actually makes cleaning the bore a little easier.
    Black powder guns are fun, but they can be finicky.
    Stay safe.
    38 Special and 45 Colt are cartridges, no chain fire with them.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Hey
    I have a navy conversion 38 special and a SAA 45 colt. Wanting to reload some black powder cartridges.
    I have some FFFg black powder. Is this what I would use?
    Also. Are LRN or wad cutters ok to use? I would assume so.
    Any black powder load recommendations or pointers?
    I have loaded smokeless before just want to shoot some more original loads.
    Thanks
    I would suggest that you read up on loading black powder cartridges, the biggest thing to remember is not to have an "Air" space between the powder and the bullet.
    Make sure the powder is compressed a bit.
    There are plenty of books on loading black from Lyman and others.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...usg=AOvVaw3Jyt1ZibEqeCcqPk0mEhFW&opi=89978449

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Check out "Cast Boolits" website and forum. TONS of info on good loads, etc. I used to have an Uberti 45 Long Colt. (yes, wish I still had it!) Along with all the smokeless reloading fun I would also make up some black powder loads for the 45. Can't recall the exact load but I do remember adding a paper wad over the powder, then Cream of Wheat, followed by the bullet.

Made for a kind of "nutty/toasty" smell to the smoke!

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Yeah. I’ll read up on it. Didn’t know if it was as simple as subbing black powder for smokeless powder.
    Thanks

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I used to load BP and Pyrodex for Cowboy action shooting. If you are just wanting to load a few rounds to see how it feels and smells, your bullets will work ok. If you plan on shooting them regularly, you should look at bullets cast on the softer end of the spect and some that use more of a BP lube. Most commercial cast bullets are pretty hard and use a very hard lube.
    you want to compress the black powder a slight bit when seating your bullet. A basic way of figuring it out it so lay a case down and lay the bullet next to it, where it would be seated to. Mark the case with a sharpie or whatever and then fill the case to that point, plus about 1/8”. Dump the powder out and weigh it or check the volume, depending on how you will be loading it and that should be your charge. After that, just dump powder and seat and crimp the bullet as normal. Like I said, you want a little compression when seating your bullet. It has been said that magnum primers give a cleaner burn but I’ve not noticed a difference in pistol calibers. Like with smokeless, there is much more small things you can get into when loading rifle rounds for longer ranges, lube cookies, compression dies, blow tubes, etc etc etc, but for pistols, none of that is really needed.

Also, your cases will need cleaned like your revolvers will. If you shoot a ways from home, it’s helpful to take a jug of soapy water with you and drop your cases down in them after you fire them. Deprive them as soon as possible and clean them well. Stainless pins do an excellent job of cleaning up BP fired brass.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Feb 26, 2011
    ok. Got it. Thanks for the info.
    Looks like a rainy day so I might mess around with that. Just want a few rounds to play around with.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Yeah so I was researching shooting and loading black powder cartridges and I guess the lube is the most critical part.
    I’m not going to shoot the bullets I got. I am going to get the proper bullets and lube. Other than that looks like fun.
    Thanks for the help

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I like SPG lube for black powder. For pistol I load 18-20 gr of FFFg black then cornmeal to give me about 1/8" compression when the bullet is seated to OAL. For rifle I load full cae of FFFg (about 31-32 gr) to give me an 1/8" compression with a RNFP lead lubed with SPG. Do not use Round Nose bullets in a tube feed rifle.

The .38 sp load a full case that gives you 1/16"-1/8" compression at OAL. Bullet can be RN or RNFP.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    BP cartridges open up a lot of guns to shooting that can be damaged by smokeless. My best results for accuracy and reduced fouling are using SPG lube as has already been suggested, magnum primers, and soft lead cast bullets. 1878.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    You
    Yeah so I was researching shooting and loading black powder cartridges and I guess the lube is the most critical part.
    I’m not going to shoot the bullets I got. I am going to get the proper bullets and lube. Other than that looks like fun.
    Thanks for the help
    You can shoot regular, commercial cast and lubed bullets, but the fouling will build up a bit faster and will be a bit harder to clean out. If you’re just wanting to shoot acouple cylinders full to see if you like them, you’ll be fine.

Top Bottom