• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fire Lord

Marksman
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    Thanks for the response, Sun. The rifle has a conventional sidelock, like a hawken. The rust is light, just everywhere. It's kind of the rust you would just wipe off with some steel wool. I don't know enough about these rifles to help too much more. The fore stock has what looks like a wedge pinning the barrel to it. It may be replaceable. If I get it, I plan on rebluing it. Dumb question time. Can one blue the inside of the barrel, or just keep it oiled? I would hunt/target shoot with it. It's not really a collector to me. I would post some pics, but I really don't know how. I barely can fool around on this here darn internets. Thanks again.

sun

Marksman
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the additional details. I suppose that it has a U.S. made barrel and lock on it too. Yes, the inside of the barrel can be blued. A gun smith did a hot chemical blue on a muzzle loader barrel of mine and he blued the inside of it. So do many of the European makers such as Pedersoli. However, I also have a muzzle loader barrel that was built from a kit that had cold blue applied to the inside and it has a rougher matte finish that's not as smooth and glossy as a hot chemical blue job. That barrel just doesn't have the same level of finish on the inside or outside. So some types of bluing are better than others. If you can have a hot chemical bluing job done then that would probably be better.

AndrewBrown

Plinker
    Nov 25, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Thompson Center Omega that is by far my favorite gun to take a deer with. It's the most accurate muzzleloader I have ever used. I use pellets for my powder. With the impressive performance of this gun i rarely take my shotgun during shotgun season.

rcox

Plinker
    May 31, 2009
    Jackson County
    I've never had a muzzleloader, don't know squat about them. Yet I am in search for something inexpensive, and easy to finish up hunting with next week. Found a CVA Wolf at a local dealer for $219. Have seen the same gun online for $180. I understand there is more equipment to make it useful, powder, loads etc. Gander had a CVA Optima kit for $339. I'm looking CVA, because all my network of friends have pointed me that way. I am open to the input of the experts on this sight.

warhawk77

Expert
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone know if the group still meets the first Sunday or every month at Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver? Or any other groups around Fort Wayne that shoot BP?

pilgrim

Plinker
    May 5, 2012
    Columbus
    You can go to the N.M.L.R.A. web site and look under programs for charter clubs and they have a list of member clubs for each state.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Jul 2, 2011
    There's no reason for you to blue the inside of the barrel. The only reason you would see it on factory built guns is they batch blue dozens of barrels at a time and don't plug the barrels. A buyer would like to see blue in there and not bare metal. If you are loading a good tight patch/ball combination, that factory blue on the inside will be gone after a few shots anyway.If you are shooting a gun with fast enough twist to shoot bullets, it'll come out of there even faster.Tingle guns may or may not have extra value. It would have to be someone that collects them. Quite frankly, back in the day they were good guns because not much was available. Quality from then to now has grown by leaps and bounds.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Jul 2, 2011
    By the way, Fish Creek Longrifles at North Vernon still shoots every 1st Saturday at 10am. Paper targets and steel woodswalk alternate every other month.

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    I've never had a muzzleloader, don't know squat about them. Yet I am in search for something inexpensive, and easy to finish up hunting with next week. Found a CVA Wolf at a local dealer for $219. Have seen the same gun online for $180. I understand there is more equipment to make it useful, powder, loads etc. Gander had a CVA Optima kit for $339. I'm looking CVA, because all my network of friends have pointed me that way. I am open to the input of the experts on this sight.

I have a CVA Wolf. Had it for 3-4 years. Light weight, compact. Shoots well. Easy to clean. I use 240 grain powerbelt bullets. Groups well, kills deer. I like it a lot. The older wolf muzzleloaders had a breech that had to be removed with a wrench. The new ones have a plug that can be removed with fingers only. Verify with the manual, but it takes up to 100 grains loose or 150 grains pellets.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Apr 21, 2010
    Just get yourself a flintlock and start learning how. Seriously, you're gonna love landing a chunk of soft lead in on what ever needs hit.
    And have you read about those incredible long range groups in the old history books that men shot with .45 bore percussion cap rifles? Well, people still do it in competition today just like back then.
    And for the cook pot you need a shot. Just one. Wheeeeeeeeew - splat.

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    I have a CVA Wolf. Had it for 3-4 years. Light weight, compact. Shoots well. Easy to clean. I use 240 grain powerbelt bullets. Groups well, kills deer. I like it a lot. The older wolf muzzleloaders had a breech that had to be removed with a wrench. The new ones have a plug that can be removed with fingers only. Verify with the manual, but it takes up to 100 grains loose or 150 grains pellets.

just received the the same gun this year as an early Christmas gift, shoots good, next year I'm switching breech plugs and going to try that Blackhorn powder

macafly

Plinker
    Jan 27, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Haven't read all the posts yet and don't have a BP weapon YET. However, in my dabbling in fireworks, I make my own BP. Been considering one of the reproduction BP pistols, and giving my BP a shot.
    Any of you BP shooters make your own? Any pitfalls to watch out for?
    Cheers

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I have only read up to Page 24 of this post. I think it's a great idea to have a Black powder forum. As a matter of fact I think it's a fantastic idea to have a black powder forum. Did I say it's a great idea? I agree, concur, definitely think it's a great idea to have a black powder forum.

It would definitely save me time from browsing thru all the pages looking for BP/muzzle loading posts. The only problem is that, I'll probably be on here a lot more reading the posts.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Haven't read all the posts yet and don't have a BP weapon YET. However, in my dabbling in fireworks, I make my own BP. Been considering one of the reproduction BP pistols, and giving my BP a shot.
    Any of you BP shooters make your own? Any pitfalls to watch out for?
    Cheers
    A few problems here, Sir. I too have made a little black powder. First problem is consistency. Accurate, reliable shooting with a BP firearm requires consistency. Hard part about making your own BP is consistent grain size. Not an issue in fireworks but it is in firearms. Second issue will be volume. If you do any serious amount of shooting with a BP gun you are going to burn a little powder. Be safe and buy commercial BP to play around with your pistol. Have fun!

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Guess I should make a follow up on my above post. Grain size issue: Larger grains 1F -2F, burns slower than 3F or 4F. A .50 caliber pistol loaded with 40 grains of 3F, good. Same pistol with 40 grain load of 4F (or smaller fines) could cause an over pressure issue.
    If you are just learning BP guns, be safe and buy some powder.

richardraw316

Master
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I have a black powder question for y'all. Actually lots o questions. A friend of mine is thinking about getting a 32 caliber pocket revolver that is black powder for self defense. (he is not able to carry anything else). I was wondering if he has to use lead round ball or could he just use 32 cal fmj or modern hollow points as long as they are 32cal does it matter? How long can the pistol be loaded and still be dependable to fire when needed? Is their a way to unload with out firing it? Thanks for the help all.

45fan

Master
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have a black powder question for y'all. Actually lots o questions. A friend of mine is thinking about getting a 32 caliber pocket revolver that is black powder for self defense. (he is not able to carry anything else). I was wondering if he has to use lead round ball or could he just use 32 cal fmj or modern hollow points as long as they are 32cal does it matter? How long can the pistol be loaded and still be dependable to fire when needed? Is their a way to unload with out firing it? Thanks for the help all.

My first thought here is that if this friend isnt able to carry anything else ( I am assuming because of a felony conviction) said friend should look into the legal process of getting their rights restored. Being caught with any type of firearm, BP or otherwise, is sure to cause them a great deal of headaches at the very least. Not even considering if they try to actually use it.

To answer the questions you asked, lead round balls, or a conical bullet intended to load in a cap and ball revolver are it, jacketed bullets would not be the correct size, or seal properly to ensure reliable and safe ignition.

As far as how long it can stay loaded and still be dependable, I would think a day or two, depending on the environment it is left in, possibly more, but honestly I would not consider any cap and ball revolver reliable enough to use in a SD situation, unless it was an absolute last resort. I would consider pepper spray before using a .32 BP revolver.

The cylinder can be unloaded without firing by either removing the nipples and pushing the load out from the back, or with a ball puller that screws into the ball and pulls the ball out the front. Neither is a very simple task, and tends to create a mess with the loose powder.

Top Bottom