• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The latest military technology being brought home to be deployed on domestic enemies of the State. Miniature, bird-sized UAVs, called Wasp drones.

They travel several hundred feet into the air and they are silent and discreet. The enemy never knows what hit 'em.

Domestic use of aerial drones by law enforcement likely to prompt privacy debate

WASP-blockIII-lg.jpg

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    they are just spying to see how much ammo you buy ,and i dont know why after all Obama had all the ammo microchipped so he can sit in the oval office and see every time you pull the trigger ..

Look out for the guy in the white van Behind you as you drive ...he is the one controling the EVIL drones with his demonic government Mind :rolleyes::draw::n00b:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    That right there is funny!

Don't go mucking up the scare-mongering with your facts. :D

That had me grinning even before the eminently-predictable response!

And........the OP reminded me of this.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLLAKnVej9o]YouTube - "Gnat" shooting -RC Planes and Shotguns![/ame]

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    These are neither Silent nor are they Discreet...
    Plus Flight time is minutes, not hours...

At 400 feet they are arguably both silent and discreet. When you aren't staring up at the sky and you are surrounded by the usual distractions of an American town.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i will put it this way.

omg! police have guns! and sniper rifles! we should ban that ****!

well. yeah, if they misuse it.
    i carry guns and the general populace is arguing over that being a good idea or not.

MY POINT IS - this is a technology, that can be used properly or improperly. used properly with a warrant during a legitimate purpose, it could be a good tool.
    used improperly against general population just to see if they are using their high cap spoons, then we have a problem.

as for as being for or against police as this forum as a whole deals with quite a bit, i will say, im not overly trusting of any one b/c they are human. i dont trust officers less just b/c they are officers but i also do not trust them more just b/c they are officers. to me, the answer lies in the fact that officers should be and are peer civilians with the job of, well, policing. they should not be above the law. they are still bent humans that need oversight but that does not mean they need to be done away with. b/c we are all bent humans to one degree or another and need to be held accountable somehow. however, we must not forget to also hold the LEOs accountable. the stuff that Rambone posts says to me that we should be looking over our shoulder more, especially those on the left that have absolute trust in the government/law enforcement, however, i cannot hate all LEOs just b/c they are LEOs. I go to church with three officers, and they are great men. there are good and bad in every corner of society.

i could rattle off a bunch of posts of crooked car dealers used or new. does that mean we should not buy a car? or does it mean THOSE dealers should be held accountable and we should buy a car elsewhere.

i know some of the problem with that analogy is we do not have a free market so to speak to choose who our officers are directly. but im saying we dont down them as a whole b/c of the bad.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i kinda got off track in the last post but, if we start taking away stuff from officers b/c it could be misused, is that any different than taking away our right to carry b/c we might shoot school children?

punish the actual crime, not the possibility to commit a crime.

there are opportunities to commit crimes of violence or privacy or whatever EVERYWHERE.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    i kinda got off track in the last post but, if we start taking away stuff from officers b/c it could be misused, is that any different than taking away our right to carry b/c we might shoot school children?

punish the actual crime, not the possibility to commit a crime.

The article says that the deployment of these drones is sparking a privacy debate. They are saying that even when the drones are being used "properly," that they are infringing on people's rights to privacy. We don't even have to wait for some scandal about spying on sunbathers (or whatever) -- just their usage in general is angering privacy advocates.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Unless these drones can see through walls/roofs, I don't see the privacy issue. It is already perfectly legal for someone to stand on a neighboring roof and look into your property, and already legal for someone to fly over your house and take pictures.

I suppose we could end the whole debate, and just spend a few thousand dollars to fly the current police helicopters to take their pictures, rather than a fraction of that to fly their drones. Either way, the cops get their photos. One is just more cost effective.

Top Bottom