• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just went to sell a rifle and the buyer asked me to sign a bill of sale. Was wondering what the reason people have for things like this? He had a page drawn up and wanted my name and signature. From reading it, it looked mostly like it was to prevent me from reporting the firearm stolen/absolving him from responsibility if the firearm had previously been used in a crime.

I don't like bills of sale, and after the fact I'm feeling weird and uncomfortable about it. He seemed like the professional salesman type, and was probably just covering his ass so he won't lose what he has.

I'd like to know some reasons for bills of sale and also whether or not I should be worried he has my name and address?

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    A bill of sale under these circumstances is pretty much worthless. Some guys ask for them for their own piece of mind so I really dont mind signing one if it makes them feel better. There is no registration of firearms in Indiana, if there were transfers and receipts and all that might make since. As things are a bill of sale neither harms nor protects anyone. Some folks are just paranoid I guess...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I can't think of any reasons for bills of sale apart from helping some people "feel" protected

...from something. :scratch:

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    The main reason is to prove a transfer in ownership. You should have gotten a copy as well so both ends are protected. Any gun i sell i write up some form of receipt.

Hypothetically speaking, i'd want to have myself covered if i sold a handgun to a stranger who (seemed) nice who then went on a shooting rampage. At least if the gun were to be traced back to me i'd have the receipt to show the gun was not in my possession and who might have it. And it works on the buyers end as well (assuming you got a copy). Then the seller couldn't report the gun "stolen" or anything and try to get their money back and the gun.

I try to see the best in everyone, but as my father always used to say in poker: "Trust everyone, but ALWAYS cut the cards!" ;)

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can't think of any reasons for bills of sale apart from helping some people "feel" protected

...from something. :scratch:

I'm with you, had the BOS been mentioned in the e-mail before I got there, I probably would have ignored him.

I've passed on a lot of guns on here b/c the guy wants to "See my LTCH and fill out a bill of sale."

To each their own, but I don't care to be a part of it.

That being said, since I was all ready there I said to hell with it. I don't really see how any of that could back fire on me, as I purchased and sold the gun well within my legal rights.

chadc11

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Venice, FL
    I don't think it could possibly come back on you. It is just that guy trying to cover himself. I don't personally see the big deal. But thats just me.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I don't think it could back fire on you except he has your name and address. I would like to know the person I'm buying from is not afraid to give me that info just so I can feel assured I'm not buying a stolen weapon.

I bought a P22 from a guy a couple weeks ago off of arms list and he wrote out a receipt from a receipt book with both our full names, our LTCH#'s and the gun's SN# I didn't mind giving him that info.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    I can't think on any situation, outside of a store purchase, that I would feel comfortable giving my address to someone who knows that I'm in possession of X amount of cash and obviously has a firearm...call me paranoid but I've had my place broken into in the past, therefore knowing that a bill of sell is worthless I'd have to decline giving my address....if the police need to track me for some reason, they have my phone number.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Pure tin foil paranoia for the seller, who is sure that one day ATF will come beating down his door looking for the firearm and he will be able to provide a bill of sale showing he no longer owns it.

You do know that ATF has a record of every firearm ever made and with current satellite and other technology can track any firearm ever sold. Of course if that were true, you wouldn't need a bill of sale, would you?!?!!!?!??!?!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would not sign a bill of sale unless for some reasons the saler thinks that would protect him.
    I dont ask the buyer to sign any when I sell a gun and I dont ask for personal info.
    In that case if I do sign one I would ask the saler to make a copy of that document for me.If I have to put my name and address on the document I would ask the saler to do the same and keep a copy for myself, both documents would be signed by the saler and by myself.
    But I would not sign a document with my name and address for someone if that person is not willing to give the same informations about himself on that document, and provide me with a copy.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    When you buy a gun at the dealer, don't they call in with the serial number of the gun? So then you are recorded as buying that weapon. If I sell it to you and you kill someone with it, I will have alot of questions to answer to prove I no longer have the gun. Is this correct or do they just call in with your personal info for the ok to sell you a gun? I really don't know. I just wait for them to say ok here ya go.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I know I am in the minority here but I see nothing wrong with some kind of receipt or bill of sale. If I sell to someone that lets the gun get into the wrong hands I can at least say I sold it this guy on this paper.

I fully agree that I would not want my name and address on the receipt. If you are concerned enough that someone might rob you once they have your address, then you might be concerned with what they might do with the gun you sold them. I am.

I don't think this is being too paranoid. But if it is, then I'm OK with that.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    When you buy a gun at the dealer, don't they call in with the serial number of the gun? So then you are recorded as buying that weapon. If I sell it to you and you kill someone with it, I will have alot of questions to answer to prove I no longer have the gun. Is this correct or do they just call in with your personal info for the ok to sell you a gun? I really don't know. I just wait for them to say ok here ya go.

They call to know if you can legally buy the gun, not to register it in your name.
    You can then sell the gun to anyone you want (as long as they can legally own a gun) so they cant track the gun and dont know who owns what.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the info on that. I have wondered what all they did on that call. I have sold a few guns and two of them asked for a bill of sale. Maybe so they had proof if it was reported stolen.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks for the info on that. I have wondered what all they did on that call. I have sold a few guns and two of them asked for a bill of sale. Maybe so they had proof if it was reported stolen.

Yes some people ask that in case you report your gun stolen just after you sold it to them.
    But im not sure if anyone ever reported his gun stolen after a sale.
    That would be pretty stupid and could bring your in jail.

I just sale or buy based on trust, I dont ask the buyer to sign any document.

Also the FFL dealer that sells you a gun may register who bought what and when but it's just to keep track of his sales, it's not for a national or state registration (they would need a huge database and that would be useless since you can just sell the gun to someone else during a private sale anyway).

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I don't mind signing them if it gives piece of mind. I also show my LTCH and DL even if not asked. If ever I do part with one I ask if they have ever been convicted of a felony and may lawfully own a firearm. This is more to get their reaction, and cover my arse. I do like to verify they are Indiana residents as I am close to 3 other states. The firearm community is a wide range of different types of people. From construction workers to medical doctors etc. all of which have their certain ideas of how a transaction should be done. You can usually get a good idea of who you're dealing with right off the jump. But what is nice about INGO transactions is, I'd say 90% of the guys I have bought or traded with are to this day friends. Some very good people can be met

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Every gun that I've sold on this site I've asked for a Bill Of Sale. I had 2 wrote up, one for the seller and buyer.

I know it's something that's not required. Maybe it is for piece of mind. But I also ask to see a drivers license, to make sure you're an IN resident. And if it's a handgun, I must see a LTCH. I don't copy any info from it either.

If you don't want to sign one, then don't make me an offer on my classifieds ad. It's my gun, and I can sell to whoever I want.

Top Bottom