• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Where to start with a .22LR for a child?

• Rifle

Votes: 46 97.9%
    • Handgun

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I have a 6 and a 9 year old. Been wanting to get my oldest into shooting. Looking at adding a .22LR firearm to the collection as a starting point. But where do I go? Rifle? Handgun? Obvious brands for rifle would be Ruger and Savage, any others I should look at? Best .22LR handguns if you suggest a handgun?

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    If you go with a rifle, get a bolt action of some sort, as it will train trigger discipline as well as "manual of arms" by learning how a bolt works. Not only that, but it promotes accuracy. If you go with a handgun, I'd suggest a Ruger MK platform. It's a very common handgun that people give to first time shooters. Just ensure they hold it right, or they'll get bit by the slide.

Rifles will be heavier, but will be quieter with less recoil, and less likely to "muzzle" things. New shooters however tend to favor handguns for the low weight, but they can have a little more recoil, louder report, and can be easier to "muzzle" things.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I've started all three of my kids shooting 22's. I use a folding table with a x bag or 22 with a bipod. My kids are taller than most but my 7 year old struggles with a full size savage 22. The Cricket I bought for him last weekend fits him perfectly. He was able to hit a quarter scale idpa steel target at 50 yards sitting with his elbow rested on his knee.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was checking one of these out at the NRA convention today. Being a single shot would probably make it a good kids first exposure to rifles and a nice survival piece as well. It even has a threaded barrel. I will probably pick one up sooner or later.:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Standard Ruger 10/22 with a 4x scope was what I started my kids with...they loved it!
    I then went to an (older) SP101 in .22lr that they learned handgun safety with as well!
    Then I got a Ruger SR-22 and they learned how to handle a .22 semi-auto pistol...safely!
    Over the years, their favorite .22lr pistol has been the Beretta 92 in .22lr...they all LOVE that one!
    No matter what rifle, revolver, or pistol they shoot, safety is stressed as most important and over all else with basic rules that are followed by everyone at all times!

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I started with an old single-shot Savage .22 rifle before moving up to my dads S&W 39–2 in 9mm. My stepson is a little more skittish so I picked up a Ruger MKIV 22-45 Lite. Its controls are closer to what you’d find on most modern firearms than the older MK models. I figured it was a good way to show him how semi-auto handguns operate without scaring him off.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Started my grand kid at that age with a BB gun for gun safety .Plus was able to set a range in my basement --Another tip I found out, kids that young get bored shooting paper -- Went to my local trap club and picked up unbroken bird in the field -- kids love seeing thing brake.
    after you have them sighting the rifle correctly, then reactive targets are the best. Over the years I've use water filled balloons, baby powder filled balloons, shotgun hulls standing on end, unbroken clay targets, spinning targets, falling steel targets, resettable steel targets, fruits ... just about anything the range allows to add some fun to the learning.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Argee with the bolt action rifle. He has been a few times out with the RWS pellet rifle I learned on.
    I picked up a CZ Scout for my boy (we have not had it out) but it is the perfect size and when he outgrows it; a stock and barrel are simple to change and BOOM… rifle for life.
    I spend about 20 min slicking the action and I am happy with it.

Keep an eye on Sportsman’s warehouse for decent price and avail if interested.

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    I say get a rifle BB Gun first to teach them the “rules” of handling a firearm. They make some really nice ones these days that are exact replicas of the real thing. Just got my daughter a Colt Defender she loves it. She already a Daisy rifle.

If you don’t want a BB gun, definitely start with a rifle. It’s bigger and less easy to not be paying attention and wave it wherever you want (as children will do, especially when they get excited). Don’t want kids doing that with a real gun that’s why I suggest a BB gun to start.

Hope this helps!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom