• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    i have decided i am going to keep and refinish my cz 82. i want to keep this on a budget since its a 200 dollar gun and im broke, im not going to invest alot of money in it. i just want it to look better as it has some finish problems.

now the question, i know cold bluing is not the best way to finish a firearm but it can look good and last if done properly and with the right kit right?
    what kit or product would you recommend?
    has anyone ever done this? what steps and tips can you give me?

i have refinished rifle stocks before but bluing a gun is new to me so i figured i would try it on my inexpensive cz. :ingo:
    should i just spray paint it like cz did...or what it looks like anyway.

any and all info would be great thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I cold-blued a Winchester .22 with Birchwood Casey stuff. Results were ok for the intended use. the thing STILL STINKS even after several cleanings with solvent and denatured alcohol. Would not want that smell on my waist.

I've heard very good things about Oxpho Blue - if i recall, it's a paste.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I cold-blued a Winchester .22 with Birchwood Casey stuff. Results were ok for the intended use. the thing STILL STINKS even after several cleanings with solvent and denatured alcohol. Would not want that smell on my waist.

I've heard very good things about Oxpho Blue - if i recall, it's a paste.

Make a past of baking soda and water and let it sit on the finish for a few minutes and dunk clean in a pot of boiling water and that will kill the curining process and stink. learned this from you tube video a while back. but do not remember which one.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have had very good luck with "Van's instant gun blue". It doesn't stink like other blues, and it gives a nice, even, dark blue finish. Also, Durabake is a VERY easy spray finish to apply - you simply spray it on, then bake it in your oven for a rock hard black epoxy finish

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    The first thing you want to do is make sure that all the old finish is off the CZ. Prep is EVERYTHING.....

What is the best way to remove the old finish?
    My BDM will rust through the existing finish when kept in a sweaty holster for a long period of time.

Have any pictures of refinished guns?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    . the thing STILL STINKS even after several cleanings with solvent and denatured alcohol.

that is one of my tests on buying something old and used that looks fairly good. Give it a smell. tung oil finsh on stocks and the stink of cold blue have save me from buying a restored gun a few times.

It has also got me a few good shooters for less than asking price.

I had a savage 340 rifle for sale here for a few months. I had little intrest and was consdering keeping it and having it duracoated in winter white scope mounts and all for winter coyote hunting. Would have been perfect for me in hind sight.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've used the little blue bottle before. Birchwood I think. The trick is to either dunk it or keep the wet stuff moving. Don't let any of it dry or it'll make little watter droplet spots.

I just did an old .22 rifle the other night and it looks pretty good.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I have had excellent results with Oxpho Blue, I think is the name, Believe it is put out by Brownells. Great on small parts, very even, not sure how it would do on an entire piece,

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I would recommend doing a goggle search on refinishing the CZ-82. It has small parts that are spring loaded and can go flying off when the grip panels are removed from the frame.

Duracoat is an excellent finish for the CZ-82. With a steel slide and alloy frame, it is tough to get bluing to match up. I have a CZ-82 and it is an excellent pistol. You made a very good choice.

Top Bottom