• ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Always a good re-read.

I still remember the "light-bulb" that went off when I first saw this picture:

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northside Indpls
    its pretty eye opening if you really "study" that....how many 9mm vs. .45 threads have you read? There's obviously a difference in the two in ballistics gelatin, but really...not that much.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    anyone have extensive experience shooting 147gr from a glock 19? Ive stuck with 124 but that image has got me thinking a little.

I think 9mm 147 grain bullets are always worth trying in a carry gun, simply because I've found that more often than not, 147 grain bullets are more accurate, and modern 147 gr hollowpoints perform very well.

Not to mention I reload my ammo, and I can reload cast 147 grain bullets to service ammo velocities without leading the heck out of the barrel. Which keeps costs way down, while giving me ammo that hits to the same point of aim as carry ammo.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Just for the sake of discussion, what story does that chart tell you guys?

Scott

That somebody didn't want to show the temporary cavity a 125 gr .357 Magnum hollowpoint creates, which would have once again proven the superiority of the revolver as a defensive weapon :D

Also, lots of folks are discounting aforementioned temporary cavity when it comes to the effectiveness of defensive handgun ammo. Pics of said temporary cavity in that chart pretty much follow the percentages of one shot stops, which makes .45 ACP a slightly more effective defensive round than 9mm. IF one discounts other factors such as the lighter recoil of the 9mm, which leads to more training and provides an easier to handle firearm, the availability of the 9mm in smaller firearms which people are more likely to actually carry, and for people who do not reload the much cheaper costs of 9mm ammo which leads to more practice and greater proficiency. And that latter is much more important than slightly larger caliber bullets and temporary cavities.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Expansion. The 45ACP obviously expanded beyond that of any of the others. Bullet expansion contributes a lot to the penetration depth.

When personal defense ammo is discussed, it's often about stopping power, but what about penetration? Everyone who looks at that picture automatically says "Oh look the 9MM penetrated the furthest!", therefore it must be "better" than the 45ACP. In my home, I certainly do not want a round that will pass through and possibly continue through another wall into another room. I would want a round that would inflict the most possible damage within the shortest amount of penetration.

What is the depth of the average person's upper chest? 12 inches? 8 inches? If using 12" then each round above may pass through, depending on what the projectile encounters along its path.

Sure some will argue "well you should know what's beyond your target before pulling the trigger" but (playing the what-if game here) what happens if you hear a bump in the night and stumble upon an armed person in your home who draws on you? Will you shoot out of reaction or run for cover and wait for them to get into a more favorable line of sight to where you know the possiblility of a pass through would be harmless? Just some food for thought I guess.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just for the sake of discussion, what story does that chart tell you guys?

It tells me there's been more development in pistol bullets in the last 20 years than there has been in the last 200.

It tells me that companies are trying to design to the FBI protocol, and in gel, have been pretty successful at getting the necessary penetration and expansion out of most calibers.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    the issue of pass through is a catch 22...because if you use a round that cant penetrate gelatin, then it will be lesss effective going through bone, and or thick clothing (leather jackets, winter layering, etc) The biggest takeaway from that image IMO, is that they will all be OK to use for SD, and they will all more than likely go through drywalls in a house if you miss.

Top Bottom