• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    After seeing the Glock mods post yesterday, I decided to thread jack and see what everybody considers the best mods/accessories to an AR-15. And if you could, be brand specific. "Flashlight" isn't what anyone is looking for. (Etc. Surefire mcdirkastein blah yadda) :rockwoot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This can vary widely depending on what type of AR we're talking about, but my taste in "fighting rifles" would always include 1) Aimpoint RDS, 2) PMAGS, and 3) reliable weaponlight (current is Streamlight PolyTac LED in VTAC mount).

Other folks may add or subtract based on their needs, but the above fits mine.

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    As yes I should have mentioned, fighting carbine is definitely what I'm looking for. An AR-15 long range SPR is in my future but not right now.

Last edited:

Kuting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    MSG2 - Frankfort
    A good rail system. Stay away from cheap stuff if you get a drop in. Go with a Troy, Surefire, or MagPul MOE foregrip. If you're getting a floated handguard LaRue is the ONLY option. Look for no others.

Vertical foregrip, Magpul AFG, or rail covers depending on how you shoot.

Surefire flashlight. If you go with the G2 make sure you upgrade it to the LED Lamp. 85 Lumens is better than 65, and 12 hours of battery life beats 2.

Get a GOOD stock. Go with a MagPul MOE, UBR, ACS, CTR, or LMT SOPMOD.

MagPul Enhanced Trigger Guard.

MagPul MOE or MIAD pistol grip. Hogue is ok as well, MagPul's better.

Aimpoint RDS. CompM2 or Better for full size, T1 if you want to run the micro. From what I've seen as of late, the guys who carry rifles on a daily basis love them.

Optics mounts, again LaRue is the only option out there. If you decide to buy an ARMS mount just send me the money and I'll punch you in the face. You'll get a better value that way. Haha

BCM or Badger Tactical charging handle.

PMags are the only mags you should ever run. Windowed or not is fine, Ranger Plates are personal opinion.

MagPul B.A.D.

Vickers or Viking Tactics 2 pt sling. I have a padded VTAC, best sling EVA!

Southpaw options include Nargon Ambi-Catch, Ambi charging handle. Badger makes a good one. Ambi selector switch.

A fighting setup needs more than just a rifle though. Invest in a QUALITY rig. No, a $20 special from Cheaper Than Dirt will not suffice. Buy a solid rig. Eagle Industries makes some really good gear. Buy some good kneepads. Eye pro is always a plus. If you get something multipurpose like Oakleys you've got not only eye pro, but vision enhancement. Last but not least, find a good cap. If you've got a helmet awesome, but a ball cap will keep the sun out of your eyes, sweat off your brow, and make you look like a hardass. That's always good.

Just my $0.02

Kut

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am not an AR guru like a lot of people here but I can say that changing the stock pistol grip for a Hogue or Ergo grip is a nice upgrade.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    i run a 2 point swat sling made by Blackhawk industries, used it on my A2 and M4 when i was in training on active duty, carried it with me through every drill and excerise I had while in the guard, the thing has last over 6 years and is currently on my personal AR, id reccomend it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Two mods that I feel should be mandatory on all ARs out of the box: Magpul Enhanced Trigger guard and new grip. For less than $40 you've got a much more pleasurable shooting experience.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Hogue Grip, rock-river 2-stage trigger, quad-rails (brand is irrelevant, I have everything from UTG to Knights Arm Corp), Magpul CTR stock. From there is really a personal pref game.

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    Doesn't look like I missed anything

Thanks for all the input fellas, currently I'm runnin a Stag Model 1 complete w/ Hogue grip, Quad Rail I picked from Cwood:ingo:, Magpul MOE, Magpul AFG, Aimpoint C3 on Larue Cantilever mount, single pt. sling I picked up at the 1500 about a year ago from "savvy sniper" (its very similar to the magpul MS2),, and as of last night a Surefire M951 that I'll be picking up from E5Ranger tomorrow.:rockwoot:

I had never given much thought to the Magpul enhanced trigger guard, does it make that much of a difference?

Oh and sometime soon the Eagle Ind. chest rig will be inbound, I just need to decide on which one I want

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I had never given much thought to the Magpul enhanced trigger guard, does it make that much of a difference?

It does a few things:

1) It eliminates the "gap" that the winter trigger guard has, which will rub the top of your finger raw after a session of shooting.

2) It enlarges the trigger area, giving you more room for chubby or gloved fingers.

3) Aesthetically it "flows" better with the lower receiver's lines.

Oh and sometime soon the Eagle Ind. chest rig will be inbound, I just need to decide on which one I want

I just picked up an Eagle chest rig myself, and hope to have a full review after I use it at this month's MDFI Carbine 1 class down in Brown County.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Looks like a super nice set up, I dont have must to add but mags.

Pmags but dont buy all Pmags. Mix it up half and half with a good quality metal mag. Pmags are amazing but there still plastic....... Sure I shoot them almost exclusively, but I still keep a stock of IMI contract mags. Magpul followers, and those braided steel springs are must do upgrades for any metal mag.

Dont forget a good trigger, I really love my Chip McCormick single stage. I have it set up for no take up, and a very clean crisp light pull. Can fire it fast enough that a few rounds a second is possible, but its still very accurate and reliable.

Also if this is a fighting carbine you must have a Bayonet, its not an option, its a must have.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Two mods that I feel should be mandatory on all ARs out of the box: Magpul Enhanced Trigger guard and new grip. For less than $40 you've got a much more pleasurable shooting experience.

That's good, cause that's the only 2 mods I have done to my stock AR's. :D I figure I'll take a class, get some more experience with them, and from there decide what it is that I need to change.

Xenophon223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Dyer
    I put my vote in for a trigger also. I have a Bushmaster 2 stage trigger in both my AR's and its a vast improvement over the stock trigger.

zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Most of these things listed in this thread are fairly subjective. Like the Magpul trigger guard, there are many people who prefer the regular trigger guard as you can push the detent to make it fold to shoot with big gloves.

However, these are some of the things I recommend

-9130 bolt from AR Performance/JP.These are made of a stronger steel and have lugs that are radiused and more metal around the cam pin area. They will last much longer than regular bolts and take standard extractors unlike the LMT enhanced bolt.

-POF D.I. Roller cam pin. As the BCG tries to feed a round, resistance on the bolt will cause the cam pin to rotate and hit the side of the receiver. While this is fairly negligible under normal circumstances, after alot of carbon buildup it is another source of friction that your AR has to fight against to feed another round.

-BCM Gunfighter CH. Other latches put all the force on the roll pin holding it in causing it to break; on the BCM the latch and the handle contact each other so all the force goes to the handle.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    2-stage triggers for a fighting carbine?

Is that overkill or are there benefits that would make it worth it for this application?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    2-stage triggers for a fighting carbine?

Is that overkill or are there benefits that would make it worth it for this application?

For me? Yes, overkill. But I wouldn't snub something like a RRA 2-stage if it were already in the gun.

Now if we're talking about adjustable triggers, I'd pass altogether.

Top Bottom