• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am not sure what model I shot, but it belonged to Indyrodie. It was a 9mm of some sort. I think it was the compact model.

I ran a mag through it and thought the recoil was nice, the accuracy was great. function was 100%. The finish looked good, but I am not sure how it holds up.

I am sure he will chime in on the thread about his thoughts.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I used to be a fan of the Bersa line. They are generally well built and affordable. I cannot say that I am a fan of the Bersa Thunder .380 line.

Why? There is a well known issue with the Bersa 380's disconnecter spring and Bersa has not addressed this issue at all. Even the BersaTalk forums cover up the issue and ban anyone who wants to discuss it.

My wife and oldest daughter both had their Bersa's and each experienced the disconnecter spring failure at different round counts. My wife was so put off with her failure that she had me sell the brand new 380CC replacement when she got it back from service. (The warranty replaced it due to an incorrectly cut ramp.) My daughter is giving her repaired Bersa Duo-Tone a chance, but I am leary, and I dread that the disconnecter spring will fail when she needs it the most.

I am sure that the rest of the Bersa line is perfectly fine. My only issue is with the Bersa Thunder 380 line.

As an aside... My wife loves her Ruger LCR revolver. She says that she now has confidence that her self defense gun will go bang if and when she needs it the most.

JohnN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you want one to shoot great buy one, if on the other hand you are buying it for personal defense, no. There are much better choices.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Bersa 9UC (13 rds) and a Bersa 9HC (17 rds) and love them both. I also have a Bersa Thunder 380 and 380CC and both have had the disconnector spring failures, which was common with the batch produced in 2008. In both cases, their warranty service took care of the issue and I've had no trouble since. I shoot a lot of 380 since it's cheap to reload and have put several hundred rounds through the first one I got back from warranty without a single hiccup.

The 9UC/HC, 40UC/HC and 45UC are the best of their line though. All enjoy excellent reputations and I can attest to that in the case of the 9UC/HC and my son can with the 45UC. They are accurate, reliable, have good sights, carry well and shoot well. The 45 needed about 100 rounds to break it in, but the 9mms have not failed from the get go. They've ate everything I've fed them without a problem.

They are one of the best pistols on the market for the money. One other thing I like is the safety on the 9/40/45s which is identical in action to my 1911s. The only thing I wish was that the safety did not act as a de-cocker. Since I carry 1911s, I'd prefer to carrying the Bersa's in condition 1 but the de-cocker limits the first round to double action. Still though, they are great pistols and are worth checking out.

lacroixdp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They are terrific, reliable firearms that are nothing short of a bargain at their price point. Virtually any review that you'll find will have positive remarks. In particular Gunblast gave them a great review, and he is quite particular about his firearms.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am not sure what model I shot, but it belonged to Indyrodie. It was a 9mm of some sort. I think it was the compact model.

I ran a mag through it and thought the recoil was nice, the accuracy was great. function was 100%. The finish looked good, but I am not sure how it holds up.

I am sure he will chime in on the thread about his thoughts.

Indeed :D
    I have the 9UC Pro. $350 or less with two 13rd mags, and a lifetime warranty. I have not had a single failure of any kind after over 600rds. I even TRIED to get mine to fail by limp wristing it through a mag as fast as I could pull the trigger.

If you want one to shoot great buy one, if on the other hand you are buying it for personal defense, no. There are much better choices.

I, too, would like to hear your reasoning behind this. Considering PDs all over Argentina use them as their carry weapon, I would have to say there is evidence against your position.

JohnN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Indianapolis

Really? Can you elaborate?

Bersa's are hobby guns. I have been to many training classes, don't remember seeing many Bersa's. The two I did see didn't make it through 300 rds. without problems. If you want to trust your life to a Bersa have at it. Good Luck.

JohnN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Indeed :D
    I have the 9UC Pro. $350 or less with two 13rd mags, and a lifetime warranty. I have not had a single failure of any kind after over 600rds. I even TRIED to get mine to fail by limp wristing it through a mag as fast as I could pull the trigger.

I, too, would like to hear your reasoning behind this. Considering PDs all over Argentina use them as their carry weapon, I would have to say there is evidence against your position.

That's a hell of an endorsement if I lived in Argentina. Don't care. Can you name me one American law enforcement agency that uses them? Can they digest 500 rds. a day for a 2 or 3 day class? I doubt it, IMHO if you feel comfortable using a Bersa go for it but I take personal defense a little more seriously.

Lifetime warranty's wont help you if the gun malfunctions when you need it.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    That's a hell of an endorsement if I lived in Argentina. Don't care. Can you name me one American law enforcement agency that uses them? Can they digest 500 rds. a day for a 2 or 3 day class? I doubt it, IMHO if you feel comfortable using a Bersa go for it but I take personal defense a little more seriously.

Lifetime warranty's wont help you if the gun malfunctions when you need it.

So, even though thousands of LEOs in Argentina carry Bersas, since they aren't in the US, then that automatically makes their choice a bad one?

Can they digest 500rds a day for 2-3 days classes? Heck yes they can, and better than many guns twice their price. Your opinion has no basis in facts, whatsoever.

Then, to top it off, you insinuate that you take personal defense more seriously than I do, when you do not even KNOW me?

So, Mr. Gun Snob, what do YOU carry?

JohnN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So, even though thousands of LEOs in Argentina carry Bersas, since they aren't in the US, then that automatically makes their choice a bad one?

Can they digest 500rds a day for 2-3 days classes? Heck yes they can, and better than many guns twice their price. Your opinion has no basis in facts, whatsoever.

Then, to top it off, you insinuate that you take personal defense more seriously than I do, when you do not even KNOW me?

So, Mr. Gun Snob, what do YOU carry?

A little thin skinned are we? The OP asked for opinions, I gave him mine. Maybe they'll make you poster boy for the Bersa Gun Owners Group, you can always hope.

Gun snob has got nothing to do with it. I prefer to carry what I believe to be the best tool for the job, Bersa ain't it IMHO. Sorry if I called your personal carry piece less than optimal except of course for the Argentine Police. Who cares?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    A little thin skinned are we? The OP asked for opinions, I gave him mine. Maybe they'll make you poster boy for the Bersa Gun Owners Group, you can always hope.

Gun snob has got nothing to do with it. I prefer to carry what I believe to be the best tool for the job, Bersa ain't it IMHO. Sorry if I called your personal carry piece less than optimal except of course for the Argentine Police. Who cares?

You see, the difference is, other posters based their opinion on real world experiences and facts. You heard somewhere that Bersas were inferior weapons, and that became fact to you. Supposedly you saw 2 Bersa 9mms fail, yet, thousands of other reviews on the Internet are to the contrary.

I would bet that you saw someone with a Bersa 380 from the production run that had a disconnector spring issue. However, even though there are cases of Glocks and M&Ps failing all over the internet, you still carry those, right?

You dismiss the fact that thousands of LEOs carry them, JUST because they are in Argentina?

Opinions are fine, but most rational people base their opinions on facts, and are open to changing those opinions when presented with evidence to the contrary.

Welcome to INGO :rolleyes:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Uhm, yeah, I started that Group :dumbass:

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Bersa pistols are still a great unknown although they are becoming more popular which is causing their prices to rise and they are hard to find in stock.

I personally feel that they are more than "Hobby Pistols". I would trust my life to my Bersa .45 UC, in fact I have. I've also used it in two training classes and it held up great. I've heard the 9mm Bersas are the best of the bunch and someday I may just get one ($299 at SOG right now). There are numerous reports of 100% reliability well over 5,000 rounds. Team Bersa has been winning a lot of IPSC competitions lately which has surprised many.

I can also accept JohnN's opinion especially if he has seen some fail in real life (during training classes). I'm sure if you hang out around enough training classes you'll see $1,000 pistols fail. If I saw a certain brand fail over and over I would also have a negative opinion.

Are they the best tool for the job??? That's debatable, but I think they are the best tool in the sub $350 price range for what you get. You are normally not buying a Bersa if you have an unlimited budget. However, there are plenty of very "high end" guns that have issues as well.

All the more reason to put 500+ rounds through a gun before you decide to carry it.

I think you'll find more positive reviews of Bersas than negative ones. A lot of folks talk bad about them because they don't cost as much as other guns, even though they have no actual experience with Bersas (that's human nature).

The BT380s are having disconnector spring issues right now so you'll see some bad press on that. They are fixing them as needed under warranty.

Top Bottom