• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave McD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2023
    Monticello
    From my searches through this forum and Google, it doesn't appear that benchrest shooting has much traction in Indiana. If I'm missing something, please let me know; I'd love to find a central site for that info. I just get individual clubs, state conservation ranges, etc.

I did some 1,000 yard shooting a few weeks ago, and I'm hooked. Like to go out and do some of that, but rather not have to drive 5 hours to the range I went to in Ohio!

Boilermaker2012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2022
    Union City
    Short range benchrest matches will be easier to find than long range. We have several shoots scheduled at the Farmland Conservation Club. Most matches are on the second Saturday of the month. Depending on the event we shoot out to 300 yds.

What range did you visit in ohio?

Dave McD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2023
    Monticello
    I've been curious about Farmland. My wife's from Winchester originally.

I went to Thunder Valley Precision ( https://thundervalleyprecision.com/ ), where Tom Sarver put on a 1,000 yard benchrest course. It was a freezing cold, windy day, and I learned a lot. I was so thrilled just to be on the paper at that range, that even when wild fliers ruined my "group", I was happy!

I could give shorter range a try, I guess. My impression is that it's a lot more precise than long range, so the equipment is going to be a little more important. By current standards, my equipment is "dated", to put it politely.

Attachments

• 1st ever target at 1,000 yards, march 2023.jpg
      1st ever target at 1,000 yards, march 2023.jpg
      320.8 KB · Views: 19
    • 3rd target at 1,000 yards.jpg
      3rd target at 1,000 yards.jpg
      368.3 KB · Views: 19
    • Ohio 1,000 yard school, March, 2023.jpg
      Ohio 1,000 yard school, March, 2023.jpg
      444.4 KB · Views: 19

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    308 at 1000 and 22 lr at 200 are very similar for practice and much cheaper and finding a 200 yard range is easier. this is for practice but 200 yard 22 matches I believe still can count to shoot national at camp perry At 1000. If your 22 is running say 1080 fps you don’t break the sound barrier twice so that is a bit different but modern 308 ammo helps that.

dated equipment still shines it just takes longer to dial in. As long as the barrel is not shot out and there is always your definition of shot out verses the major players version of shot out.

there are some good matches in Anderson Indiana and Madison county.

Boilermaker2012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2022
    Union City
    I have a couple friends that talk about shooting at Thunder Valley. It sounds like a great time. I think the headhunter match there would be a fun challenge.

I don’t think the equipment precision for short range is much different betweenshort range and long range. They just have some different focuses and cartridges to meet those requirements. At short range gun tuning and wind reading ability become major factors.

As far as equipment goes, I would not be concerned with shooting with older equipment. We shoot three classes: Factory, Custom, and Unlimited. If you’re interested in more information on those classes and where your gun would classify let me know.

At the end of the day we shoot for fun and friendly competition. You can have a great time regardless where your name is at the end of the match.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    1000 yard matches of any kind are tough to find in the midwest. Other than an occasional LR match at Camp Atterberry, where they have to close down range road, I only shot LR at Camp Perry and Oak Ridge. In effect, I was traveling and paying for a match just for an opportunity to practice until I was good enough to start gaining classification. Even back then, there was starting to get some F class competitors for people who like to use a scope and bipods.

Dave McD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2023
    Monticello
    Thanks guys, good points.

Boilermaker, I AM interested... My target gun is a Savage Model 10FP. It was originally a .223, but now has a Shilen barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. Everything else is stock. To me it seems heavy, but I haven't weighed it. Based on what I see some guys shooting, maybe it fits in "Light Gun"?

.22 at 200 does sound interesting. I don't suppose there are any matches like that for .22 Win Mag, are there? I love my little Savage 93, but sometimes feel like I'm the only guy on the planet with a .22 mag! :-) I also have a Ruger 10/22 with a heavy barrel, which would probably be an OK entry level gun.

Yes, at this point, I'm all about just DOING it. Of course I want to do well, but I'm really just calculating cost, time, and effort as it relates to enjoyment, not winning matches. If we waited until we had perfect gear and perfect training, we'd never do anything. Most of my competition shooting has been done with "service weapons", and of course, I've lived on a cop salary my whole adult life, so haven't splurged on high-end gear. Recently I've bought aftermarket triggers for a couple of guns, which felt like a real luxury, and the Shilen barrel for the Savage, well, that was Rockefeller stuff right there! If I can find matches, have some fun shooting, and improve my skills, I'll be perfectly fine with that.

-Dave-

Boilermaker2012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2022
    Union City
    Dave,

The Farmland matches are scheduled for the second Saturday of the month on the following months:

April, May, July, and August.

There is another match in October on the 3rd Saturday.

I believe match fees are $30 except for the May match. That is a UBR match and will be around $75. We shoot different distances and disciplines depending on the match. Shooters meeting is at 9 am and the match begins shortly after.

With an aftermarket barrel your gun will be considered either custom or unlimited depending on weight. Anything over 13.5 lb is considered unlimited at our matches.

Let me know if you want further information or have additional questions.

Joshua

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've been curious about Farmland. My wife's from Winchester originally.

I went to Thunder Valley Precision ( https://thundervalleyprecision.com/ ), where Tom Sarver put on a 1,000 yard benchrest course. It was a freezing cold, windy day, and I learned a lot. I was so thrilled just to be on the paper at that range, that even when wild fliers ruined my "group", I was happy!

I could give shorter range a try, I guess. My impression is that it's a lot more precise than long range, so the equipment is going to be a little more important. By current standards, my equipment is "dated", to put it politely.
    I’ve known Tom for many years, great guy and TVP is my favorite place on earth. Recently discovered Indiana Ordnance in Connersville. Nothing like TVP with GBA competitions and the like, but such a treasure to find. You can also check out Young’s Longshot and Bass’n’bucks. CIHPRS hosts 1000 yard f-class at Camp Atterbury also. Love me some long range.

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    ProTEQ in Brazil has 500yd, and should have 600yd soon if they don’t already. No matches there as far as I know.

Riley CC does .22LR matches with 75-200yd targets. Check the post by Hawkeye7br in this forum. Prettty sure they don’t allow .22WMR.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    ProTEQ in Brazil has 500yd, and should have 600yd soon if they don’t already. No matches there as far as I know.

Riley CC does .22LR matches with 75-200yd targets. Check the post by Hawkeye7br in this forum. Prettty sure they don’t allow .22WMR.
    Thank you.

At RCC, we only have inclusion of 22 LR. No 22 Mag. My LRR matches go to 240y. You have 6 minutes to fire sighters at all 3 of your distances, which you have to work up to based on your skill level. There is no purpose in allowing you to shoot at 240 if you can't hit targets at 75y. This is a tried and true system based on several different shooting sports.

We want you to have fun, as you do.

We want you to be successful, as you do.

I want your entry fee ( I'm not good at lying) and if you can't hit targets at 75, you won't hit at 200/240 and you will drop out and we won't make money from you, and we will lose your future entry fee and that's not good for me.....you get the picture....

That said, if there is demand for 200y benchrest, we will look at it and try to accommodate it. But be advised, I run 4H Shooting Sports, 10m rifle/pistol in Jan/Feb, indoor handgun silhouette, outdoor handgun silhouette, 22 Long Range Rimfire, and National Championship Handgun Silhouette, so my time is limited. There are clubs such as Danville Conservation Club that run 50y sanctioned .22 br matches and I encourage you to shoot there.

My 22 Long Range Rimfire match was copied from a High power match I attended in Reno (where the best shooters go out to 800m), and I scaled the targets to fit our 240 range at RCC for 22 Rimfire and started matches here in 2017. In about 1200 entries, we have had exactly 4 perfect scores. You are invited to come shoot with us, we welcome you, we will overload you with advice. All I ask is that you leave your ego at the gate.

Likewise, if you want to shoot center-fire br, we can look at it but we have a handful of MD's that are all stretched pretty thin. I'm ok with a lot of disciplines, just don't have time to run them all as I believe in reciprocation and I attend and support surrounding facilities and events.

Rich

Dave McD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2023
    Monticello
    Thank you Goodcat! Gotta look into that Connorsville range. I'm starting to see that there are several places in Indiana to shoot long range. People just don't talk about it much. I guess it's kind of an obscure hobby, in terms of numbers of people who do it. I sure wish I owned a large chunk of land, where I could build a range with long shooting distances.

Dave McD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2023
    Monticello
    Hawkeye, thanks for the info, I'll definitely be looking you up. Thanks for all of the work you do; it's the future of our sport!

Gotta say, the .22 "long range" is sounding better and better!

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    As mentioned above, CIHPRS hosts 4 matches a month at Atterbury...1st weekend of the month is midrange Saturday and a 3x1000 Sunday, 3rd weekend is a 3x1000 Saturday and a Palma match (800, 900, 1000) Sunday.

PM me if you'd like more details. I'm on the board.

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    … interested in some nearby .22 shoots if there's anything going on. Also centerfire but I'd prefer to get used to br with rimfire first.
    See if anyone is running NRL22 matches in your area. With targets to 100yd, and options for longer, and very small targets it feels like a long range match. I’d like to try it again, but need to upgrade my scope first.

Top Bottom