Bedford man sentenced to 14 months in federal prison following gun store break in.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    He wasn't stealing 16 cartons cigarettes.
    With all the "anti-gun" rhetoric spewed out these days, and 14 months is all the judicial system could do?
    Not even a month per stolen weapon!

Surely this will teach young Calvin a lesson. He can think about what he did and change his ways.
    Maybe he'll come out of prison and turn over a new leaf, becoming a productive member of society.
    Who knows, the sentencing judge may have an extra room she can rent to young Calvin when he gets out.

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    Local prosecutor would have gotten a longer sentence for commercial burglary. Low end on that is 2 years. Probably could have gotten him to plea to 2 years by scaring him with 12. What a weak federal prosecutor.

Federal felonies cannot be expunged. No legal firearms for him, ever. Thats worse than the 14 months.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Local prosecutor would have gotten a longer sentence for commercial burglary. Low end on that is 2 years. Probably could have gotten him to plea to 2 years by scaring him with 12. What a weak federal prosecutor.

Federal felonies cannot be expunged. No legal firearms for him, ever. Thats worse than the 14 months.
    You act like that will stop him. He will just go steal more.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    You act like that will stop him. He will just go steal more.
    His situation may just be a case of youthful indiscretion. A young man of his tender age can get caught up in a bad crowd.
    He'll be on supervised probation for two years after he gets out.
    You have to remember, he's really still a child at 20. If he had been 21, I'd say he's officially an adult and should have the book thrown at him.
    But "20", come on, look at that baby face!

Well now that I think about it, 21 really isn't some magical number.
    Thousands upon thousands of sub-21 year old young men have laid down life and limb in such conflicts as WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan.

Forgive me for even mentioning this 20 year old criminal in the same post as those young men that sacrificed their lives and bodies for their country.

Reactions: Leo

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I agree with all here that this was far to light a sentence for the crime committed.

One question, does anyone have a link to what the prosecutor recommended for a sentence?

All I see is what the judge, an Obama appointee, handed down...

Too light of a sentence... but was it the prosecutor or the judge? Or both?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    It gets even "better" (i.e. worse). Calvin was one of FIVE participants... three of which were juveniles/minors at the time!!!

Calvin and Ian Canfield were 19 at the time of the break-ins... I can't find anything on Ian's case other than he had been arrested also.

I thought in cases like this the "adults" get smacked hard for involving minors in the crime... apparently not.

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    His lawyer was probably garbage. The lawyer should have fought to keep it in state court. His sentence would have been a little longer but the implications on the rest of his life would have been much less. With such a light sentence it doesn’t seem like federal prosecutor cared very much. Half a lawyer probably could have got back in state court or kept it in state court. That would have probably cost $10,000 he didn’t have so he got the public pretender who just says “yea, whatever, is it 4:00 yet, I’m ready to go home.”

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A guy breaks into a gunshop, and steals firearms, and according to some it's because he was hanging with the wrong crowd at the moment?

I disagree he probably has been a criminal for some time, and finally got caught.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Definitely not enough prison time! Why the prosecutor and judge were so lenient is beyond me. Should have been at least five years IMHO.

vantex502

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 16, 2023
    Lebanon
    He wasn't stealing 16 cartons cigarettes.
    With all the "anti-gun" rhetoric spewed out these days, and 14 months is all the judicial system could do?
    Not even a month per stolen weapon!

Surely this will teach young Calvin a lesson. He can think about what he did and change his ways.
    Maybe he'll come out of prison and turn over a new leaf, becoming a productive member of society.
    Who knows, the sentencing judge may have an extra room she can rent to young Calvin when he gets out.
    That is crazy to think a judge is that soft. I’m sorry to offend anyone, but guns in the wrong hands are weapons to hurt people. Younger generations don’t understand consequences.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Maybe his momma told them about his charitable work and that he sang in the church choir. Robbing a gun store is NOT just a youthful indiscretion. He didn’t pocket a candy bar at the Walgreens.

Top Bottom