• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So woke up at 4am sitting having my coffee enjoying Mountain View’s in Gatlinburg start breakfast at 6 for the family…

Out of the corner of my eye I see something pass by the window….. I go to the front door…. Where a cheap exterior door with a large window is the only thing between me and mama bear. She sees me and proceeds to jump up onto the door….. every cub there after does the same all learning to check the doors.

So it was a pretty cool experience for an Indiana boy…. But I am just thinking how many times does that work? And the bear gets in? Because she wouldn’t try it if it hasn’t worked in the past and she is training 4 cubs to do the same. I couldn’t IMAGINE waking up to 4 LARGE cubs and giant mama rummaging through the house.

Really had me reconsidering my lcr .38 on me only. (When I was out hiking I had 43x so plenty for a black bear but this was just in the cabin)

On a side note heard from a local the day before a guy wanted to be “tough” shot a mom and cubs that were over 40yds away with obstacles in between the judge made an example of him 5 YEARS without parole. They said he wasn’t in imminent danger because instead of going in the cabin he went into his trunk and loaded his gun to shoot the bear and a cub.

Attachments

• 215F0862-CFBA-42E0-8EF4-89313BF96764.jpeg
      215F0862-CFBA-42E0-8EF4-89313BF96764.jpeg
      562.3 KB · Views: 41
    • C8EA32B5-BC33-47E8-B832-BB7FE125D9AC.jpeg
      C8EA32B5-BC33-47E8-B832-BB7FE125D9AC.jpeg
      656.7 KB · Views: 41
    • 9B104AC1-BB40-43A8-B9A8-7648F7DE3A24.jpeg
      9B104AC1-BB40-43A8-B9A8-7648F7DE3A24.jpeg
      753.6 KB · Views: 41

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I know a tourist shot one on the breeze way of a hotel a few years back and went to jail for it.

That had to be a pretty cool experience having them up that close. I was probably 5 yards from one a couple weeks ago and I felt way too close and we were in a locked car.

I used to carry my 43 with hard cast buffalo bore in a chest rig while hiking in black bear country only because a usfs ranger said he's seen HSTs fail on big game. Now I carry a 10mm for brown and black bear. Or a 357 for just black. That ranger recommended a duty size 9mm loaded with hard cast and a light that extends beyond the muzzle to use as a stand off if you're being mauled. That was for black and brown up in Alaska.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I know a tourist shot one on the breeze way of a hotel a few years back and went to jail for it.

That had to be a pretty cool experience having them up that close. I was probably 5 yards from one a couple weeks ago and I felt way too close and we were in a locked car.

I used to carry my 43 with hard cast buffalo bore in a chest rig while hiking in black bear country only because a usfs ranger said he's seen HSTs fail on big game. Now I carry a 10mm for brown and black bear. Or a 357 for just black. That ranger recommended a duty size 9mm loaded with hard cast and a light that extends beyond the muzzle to use as a stand off if you're being mauled. That was for black and brown up in Alaska.
    Ok in the breezeway of a hotel could be and I think should be perceived as a threat. But obvious the situation would have a lot of variables. Maybe I will get a 10 for next time but I don’t feel undergunned with the 15rnds of 9mm in black bear country.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    The Airbnb is replacing the door apparently they said they haven’t had that issue in this particular area and I guess I was in actual danger lol they said once they start hopping up like that only a matter of time before they break the glass

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Ok in the breezeway of a hotel could be and I think should be perceived as a threat. But obvious the situation would have a lot of variables. Maybe I will get a 10 for next time but I don’t feel undergunned with the 15rnds of 9mm in black bear country.
    If I remember right he wasn't even all the way out the door so they argued he could take one step back and not be in danger anymore.

Some of the bears I seen I think my mean 3 year old son could have taken them down bare handed so I never felt undergunned with my 43. The bigger guns are for the wife's comfort. She's always worried about the bear bait... I mean kids.

Those cabins down slope from anakeesta?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    So woke up at 4am sitting having my coffee enjoying Mountain View’s in Gatlinburg start breakfast at 6 for the family…

Out of the corner of my eye I see something pass by the window….. I go to the front door…. Where a cheap exterior door with a large window is the only thing between me and mama bear. She sees me and proceeds to jump up onto the door….. every cub there after does the same all learning to check the doors.

So it was a pretty cool experience for an Indiana boy…. But I am just thinking how many times does that work? And the bear gets in? Because she wouldn’t try it if it hasn’t worked in the past and she is training 4 cubs to do the same. I couldn’t IMAGINE waking up to 4 LARGE cubs and giant mama rummaging through the house.

Really had me reconsidering my lcr .38 on me only. (When I was out hiking I had 43x so plenty for a black bear but this was just in the cabin)

On a side note heard from a local the day before a guy wanted to be “tough” shot a mom and cubs that were over 40yds away with obstacles in between the judge made an example of him 5 YEARS without parole. They said he wasn’t in imminent danger because instead of going in the cabin he went into his trunk and loaded his gun to shoot the bear and a cub.

I've been putting in for points in Michigan for 10 years.

Maybe I should just book an airbnb in Gatlinburg!

"I feared for my life! Swear to God I did! Do you know a good taxidermist?"

IMG_0744.JPG

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I've been putting in for points in Michigan for 10 years.

Maybe I should just book an airbnb in Gatlinburg!

"I feared for my life! Swear to God I did! Do you know a good taxidermist?"

10yrs and still not enough points? Or just haven’t gotten around to it yet? I’ve been putting in for 4.

View attachment 274199

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    If I remember right he wasn't even all the way out the door so they argued he could take one step back and not be in danger anymore.

Some of the bears I seen I think my mean 3 year old son could have taken them down bare handed so I never felt undergunned with my 43. The bigger guns are for the wife's comfort. She's always worried about the bear bait... I mean kids.

This time we were in wears valley. Off the beaten path a bit and I liked it we got to see stuff we never have in wears valley and townsend

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012

So they have signs all over that say if bears get too accustomed to people that they get put down by dnr…. But a ”civilian” does it and gets 5yrs…. Not sure how I feel about that.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Different areas require different levels of points for the draw
    Gotcha what is your plan? You have to go guided there don’t you? Bait or dogs?

admittedly I haven’t done much research other than applying for points I started applying when my daughter told me that was the #1 animal she wanted to hunt.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

admittedly I haven’t done much research other than applying for points I started applying when my daughter told me that was the #1 animal she wanted to hunt.

Still working on it.

Getting drawn as a nonresident is a long shot...approx 5%!

Also looking into KY and TN. Chances are higher, but MI is on the bucket list.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

There are several outfitters in VT and Maine that are out there as well, but I'm hoping for a wild hunt

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Still working on it.

Getting drawn as a nonresident is a long shot...approx 5%!

Also looking into KY and TN. Chances are higher, but MI is on the bucket list.

Well I guess I will just keep getting points then. Any other “close” states that have a points system I should start donating to?

Applied for youth elk draw in KY this year my first time applying out of state

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Well I guess I will just keep getting points then. Any other “close” states that have a points system I should start donating to?

Applied for youth elk draw in KY this year my first time applying out of state
    KY looks interesting for bear.

Finding land to hunt can be the tough part

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Top Bottom