• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    i have ben searching for a barrel liner to redo my bolt action savage 22lr from the stock 1 in 16 twist rate. i want a 1/9 twist rate to shoot 60 grain ammo out of it (not looking for a debate on twist rates). i have not had much luck finding this and thought i would ask for some help. if you know were to get the liner in that twist rate let me know. i can only find 1 in 20 and 1 in 16.

thanks

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IMHO, it might well be impossible to find a ready-made 1-in-9 liner. No offense intended, but I would be mighty surprised if there was sufficient demand out there to make the manufacture of such an item commercially viable.

I'm relatively certain that there are a number of custom shops out there with the skills and equipment necessary to undertake such a project for you, but at what cost I shudder to contemplate.

FWIW, as you probably know, complete firearms and replacement barrels for Ruger 10/22's and 77/22's with that twist rate are available through a company associated with Aquila under the "Poseidon" brand name.

Just MHO, but I'd bet even money that buying a nice used Ruger 77/22 and Poseidon barrel would end up being less costly in the longer run, mostly because of the number of hours of highly skilled labor it'd almost certainly take for such a project.

Also just MO, but if you're dead set on making this project a reality it might be worth your while to look around over at Rimfire Central for the names of some custom shops who specialize in restorations and "exotic" custom projects and make a few phone calls. IME, if you're willing to spend what it takes, there's nearly always somebody out there willing and able to make it happen.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    thanks for the advice.

i have found a shop that is doing the work localy and it will be less then a hundred for the labor to thread and re line the barrel my only other cost will be the liner (about 25 bucks). i got a great deal on the savage bolt action (trade for a paint ball gun i had not used in a long time) and thought about the ruger 77 but could not find one for less than 500 bucks plus 350 for a new barrel.

brownells and numrich both sell the liners in that twist rate but they are not in stock as of now or listed on line (had to call them). i am looking for another place i might find 1 in 9 twist 22lr barrel liners for sale.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Very surprised to hear that things have changed that much! Six or eight years back, I looked into having a pretty-nice-otherwise old Remington 121 I'd gotten in a trade relined. The cost I was quoted from three different shops to bore-out the badly pitted barrel, silver solder a liner in place, rechamber and recrown averaged about half-again that much. In a couple of cases that was in addition to a minimum 1 hr. charge at their shop flat rate ($50 at the time, IIRC) just to set-up the machinery.

With the cost for the new liner and rebluing the barrel (pretty much a necessity after the heat required for that much silver soldering) it all added up to about a third more than it would have taken to just buy another 121 in NRA "Good" or a bit better condition.

While I haven't been doing any serious checking into buying one (I'm a southpaw and don't pay much attention to RF BA's generally), IIRC the last couple of used, NRA VG-to-VG+ condition, unmodified basic-model 77/22's I've looked over casually around here where being offered for around $350. Also wasn't aware that those Poseidon barrels were so costly compared to other quality makes in standard 1-in16. Live and learn.

Glad to hear that you're pretty much good-to-go on your project. Enjoy!

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    thanks, i belive i have a very good smith he just takes a long time like most others. i pay 30 bones for a barrel thread job on a standard barrel without sight moving etc.... you are also correct in the re blueing of the gun and that is included as well for the 100.

i still need to find this liner if anyone out there knows were one is at let me know. 1 in 9 22lr barrel liner 20 inches long or better

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You don't NEED silver soldering to re-line a barrel...

Read a series of articles in Shooting Times where a guy turned a bunch of old M1 Garand parts + 10/22 receiver into a Garand clone. he used an epoxy to bind the liner inside the old nasty Garand barrel. Worked out pretty good for him.

Granted, that was using the epoxy to fill in considerable "dead space" around the .22 liner... Things might be different when boring out a .22 a few hundredths and then re-lining.

-J-

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Let me know

Once you get the reline work done please send me a PM about how it went, and how it shot.

I have an old single shot that I have been looking to get relined and use as a starter gun for the kids.

Thanks

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    Once you get the reline work done please send me a PM about how it went, and how it shot.

I have an old single shot that I have been looking to get relined and use as a starter gun for the kids.

Thanks

i sure will if i can ever find the dang liner. i have ben calling a lot of places but no luck yet. i know they make them i just can't find out who it is yet. i have not heard back from redman and i belive they may be the ones doing all of them.

the guy doing mine had two old 22 lr's in there to do just what your wanting done. i belive you would be looking at about 50 to 75 and the liner but don't quote me on that. some liners are only 6 bucks or so.
    it is a great way to update that old gun or shot out barrel.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    ok i found a liner from redmans. he has made up a small run of them and they are 27 inches long (can be cut down obviously) and a 1/9 twist rate for 22lr. i must order a 100 dollars worth and shippng is a flat 28 dollars for all orders. the liner runs 50 bucks each.

anyone else interested in one of these liners or another liner type or style? regular 1/16 twist liners run 25 each in 22 lr or 50 for the 1/9 twist not sure on other calibers. let me know if you want one and i will place the order and we can meet up later when it comes in. he also only takes a postal money order so it may take a week or two to get in by the time he gets the check and sends out the product.

thanks

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    ok guys i am going to order this today if i can get the money order from the post office before close. thanks hoosier cub for helping fill the minimum order. i will contact you when i get it in. prob be 2 weeks or so.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    i sure will if i can ever find the dang liner. i have ben calling a lot of places but no luck yet. i know they make them i just can't find out who it is yet. i have not heard back from redman and i belive they may be the ones doing all of them.

the guy doing mine had two old 22 lr's in there to do just what your wanting done. i belive you would be looking at about 50 to 75 and the liner but don't quote me on that. some liners are only 6 bucks or so.
    it is a great way to update that old gun or shot out barrel.

Can you send me a PM with their information???

Thanks

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    bobjones i sent you a email as well but if you see this i have a liner for you. just need to know what you want done with it.

i have all the parts in and it is being completed hopefully this week. i will post up the gun and build for anyone interested in the next few weeks. it will be in another thread.

Top Bottom