• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Bank robbers put gun to girl's head, police say

Police continued searching late Saturday for two men who they say temporarily held an 11-year-old girl hostage while robbing a Westside bank.
    The incident occurred at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Huntington Bank, 6714 Rockville Road. Both masked men were wearing dark gray shirts and carrying handguns.

One reportedly held a gun to the head of the girl during the robbery. She was released before they left the bank and was not injured, police said.
    The men fled in a tan Dodge Intrepid that was reported stolen two days ago. It was recovered in the 7400 block of Bentley Drive on the Far Westside about 20 minutes after the robbery, according to police.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Don't mess with kids. Bank robberies, to us non-LEOs, seem like the thing of old westerns. It's not.

My wife's aunt and uncle were murdered, execution style, outside of Spartanburg, SC. They were customers in a "temporary" bank (trailer,) while the real one was being built on a frontage road back in 2003. One teller in the bank, also murdered, and no working video security system.

Ugly, ugly stuff.

I hope they find the dirtbags that would put a a child's life in the balance.

Couple remembered for many kind deeds | GoUpstate.com | Spartanburg Herald-Journal | Spartanburg SC

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I always carry into my bank. Always.

paddling_man; that is a terrible story. My sympathies..............

And what is a "no guns airlock?" I'm a bit of a hick from a small town.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    That particular branch has been robbed at least 2 other times this year. It averages about 2 or 3 robberies annually, and it changes to different franchises often...

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Don't mess with kids. Bank robberies, to us non-LEOs, seem like the thing of old westerns. It's not.
    When I was very young, bank robberies were almost exclusively in old western movies. But I also remember every bank having an armed guard stationed in the lobby. Of course this is back when banks actually paid YOU for the privelige of safekeeping your money with them, instead of fleecing you with hundreds of "fees".

At some point the skinflint bank executives figured out, "Hey! Why are we paying a guy $X.XX/hour to protect our customers' money when it is federally insured? We'll just fire the guards, pocket the savings, and give every two-bit thief, who hands us a threatening note, all the money he wants. Uncle Sam will just cover our losses."

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I have gotten to the point where I don't go inside the bank to conduct business. I instead us the drive-thru, that way I would never be held in a hostage type situation. When I use the ATM after hours, I always check the area to make sure there are no folks present. The moment anyone even starts walking my way I am outta there. Bank cards and money can be replace, my life can't!!

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    At some point the skinflint bank executives figured out, "Hey! Why are we paying a guy .XX/hour to protect our customers' money when it is federally insured? We'll just fire the guards, pocket the savings, and give every two-bit thief, who hands us a threatening note, all the money he wants. Uncle Sam will just cover our losses."

That's about what happened. Unfortunately (and even though so many bank robbers are caught fairly quickly), that logic has trained the idiots of the world that the places with the most money are actually the softest targets. Other than video coverage and the possibility that police happen to be just around the corner when the alarm activates, there is no resistance at a bank.

I'm not advocating gunfights in banks, but I've gotta agree that the mere presence of an armed guard in the bank changes the game plan of the "note" robbers.

It's funny you know...banks made plenty of cash in those days too. The difference was that I seemed to matter more to them.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    :n00b:

That story was the most confusing report I think I've read in a looonnngg time.

WTF were they trying to say?

I think I get the gist of it but...geez.

Top Bottom