• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    So I've decided I really need to put together a get home bag to keep in the truck.

First things first, I need recommendations on a nice backpack to use for this.

I don't wanna spend a fortune, but I don't want a cheap p.o.s. that won't last. I want it to have a lot of room for junk, and be built strong enough to hold a fair bit of weight reliably. I don't need nothing fancy though.

If it makes a difference, I'm 5'8" and 200lbs. Out of shape but not terribly so. That's something else I'm working on.

So what back-packs do you guys recommend? I will start building a list of items after I get the back-pack bought.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like my 5.11 tactical Rush 24. Not exactly cheap, but very versatile, and built like a tank. They also make a size smaller, and a size larger.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I would go with a medium Alice pack and frame. Tough as nails and can be found for a good price. Not the most comfortable but if it is a GHB you don't plan to do a lot of hiking with it any way.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I picked up one of my packs at the 1500, a Camelbak trizip for $100, and they usually retail for $240 or so. Great pack, a little small, but I added a couple general purpose utility pouches to it.

It works well, supports a lot of weight well.

But, I'd stay away from alice packs unless they fit you, I have a medium sized one and it's too small of frame.

Anyway, packs to go for would be Kelty, Camelback, Maxpedition, and Jansport.

Kifaru are top of the line, great packs, but they will break the bank (just saying incase you want to save a bit)

Good luck with your search

toddk

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Lake / Porter Co
    I ended up using a Jansport daypack.

When I put mine together, I had a few things I wanted...
    Sternum strap, waist strap, decent capacity, and non "Tactical" look.
    I figure if something happens, and i am hiking home, last thing I want is to have a bag that says mall ninja, prepper, or survivalist. (I call it Social Camouflage.)

Stayed with a smaller pack on purpose, wanted to keep the weight down, and I have a tendency to fill bags to the capacity.

Just my personal take... YMMV.
    BTW the fun part is stocking them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    1st define your price range. If you want the cheapest high quality pack out there, then I'd 2nd the alice pack. A used large one with a frame in great condition can be had for under $30. If you're ok spending more, then I'd say camelbak is a great choice. I took a camelbak motherload with me overseas and I beat the hell out of that bag. Now it's in the back of my tahoe and still ready to go to work any time I need it. Since then I've also bought a camelbak BFM and that's also an outstanding pack that's much larger than my motherload. I use it for bear hunting trips in the middle of nowhere, where I carry just about everything with me "just in case".

Lots of great packs out there, but I'm only personally experienced with camelbak and I've never regretted it.

rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    I have a kelty Red Cloud 5600 pack. When i purchased it five years ago they where running about $160.00 now you can find them for under $100.00. I have taken many treks of over a week at a time and carried every thing to be self reliant for that amount of time. My backpack is always packed for a ten day trip,that includes a Henry survival rifle W/100 rounds of ammo and a Glock 17 with 3 loaded mags.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    The question is, do you want a military looking pack or something to fit in with the sheeple? I have a Mountain Smith day pack that is in my vehicle along with a SOTECH Go Bag.

I carried an ALICE ruck for a while, and while they can carry a kitchen sink, the pack never fit my frame well with the frame. Just an observation.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Backpacks come in two forms external frame and internal frame. You have many choices and a wide price range. I always used North Face brand but many others are just as good. If you get a external frame check the pins and rings, make sure to buy extras because they can break. Packs come in different load sizes and also are made for different body sizes. If you don't want to spend much on a new one many used packs can be found for a good price. How you load a pack has big impact on how comfortable it is.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    You can buy a good all-purpose computer bag that will hold more than you can comfortably carry. I have a Targus model that I used to carry my computer & peripherals, extra clothing, and flight manuals. I carried a CamelBak Talon to our Hurricane Katrina deployment and a CamelBak BFM in Iraq. My current BOB is a CamelBak Urban Survival. If you don't care if your bag looks "military" any of the CamelBak models will work well for you. If you want to blend in with the general population, just about any quality computer/book bag/day pack will do.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I'd like to keep it $50 or less.

I'm not sure what external/internal frame means.

I don't really care if it looks military or not. Just as long as it's not pink

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    surplus stores and gun shows have the old army alice packs for 25-35 bucks. you wont find a quality frame backpack any cheaper. I bought one at the rushville gun show yesterday for 25$.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    $50 or less, you're looking at alice packs. Large ones are OD only, medium can be OD or camo.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    External frame packs have the frame on the outside of pack usually aluminium. Internal frame packs you can't see the frame of the pack it is inside of pack. Most newer packs are going towards the internal frame.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My GHB is a Maxpedition that I bought from a guy off here. My BOB is a military bag (Med Alice), but I wanted this one to blend better. I pull it out of my truck and put it in any vehicle that I travel in. Small size so it doesn't have too much weight. Bigger than a wallet though and holds plenty to get me home or hopefully out of a bad situation short term.

When I started I was trying to load this like a BOB. I still don't have it correct, but I am getting there. This has a somewhat padded shoulder strap and padding on the side that rides against you. This is supposed to make it more comfortable when trekking over a distance and maybe some rougher terrain.

Make sure that whatever you get you will carry. I know a couple people that have nice set-ups for a GHB. They can show you anytime you want, as long as you are in the house with them. They can't get in the habit of taking it with them.

I have other items in my truck that stay there all the time. Shovels, extra firearms and ammo, knives, lights, money, food, clothing, etc. This bag comes in every night and back out every morning, and like I said earlier if I am getting into someone else's vehicle it comes with me. Some call it a man purse, but it's all good.

Top Bottom