• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I used to be an automotive tech about 3 years ago. Back then I wasnt carrying yet. My old boss was telling me his tech left and hes been working alone. Been pretty busy and needing help. So after chatting we decided I could come in after my full time job and help knock out some lighter work like oil changes, tire rotations, etc. and make a few extra bucks to help pay off debt while still indulging in my Jeep and gun hobbies.

From working in my garage, I know that my EDC XD-40 on my hip wont work. When laying on my side, leaning, etc, it digs into my hip too much and hurts, plus i dont like the idea of constantly grinding the gun against the concrete when setting lifts or crawling under cars.

Ive also got a Bersa Firestorm .380 (I believe its pretty much identical to the Thunder .380s). Its a lot smaller than the my full size XD, so its probably gonna be the better choice for carry in the shop. Just looking for input on how to carry it. The hip wont work. I figure an ankle holster on the inside of my leg will probably be best in keeping it out of my way when i have to get down low to set the lift, crawl under hoods, etc., while also keeping it concealed. My wife picked up a cheap universal ankle holster at the last gun show here at the Coliseum. Gonna wear that during my full time job tomorrow with the Bersa to see how I like it.

Any suggestions on other methods? Good ankle holsters? Im a lefty too, which sometimes makes it difficult. Some manufacturers tend to not make holsters for both sides, jerks :xmad:

Thanks in advance!:ingo:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    386   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Appendix carry?

^^^I don't think so--Do you realize how often a Tech is leaning over a fender, hood, or grill??

I have not carried this way, but a Small of the Back rig may work for you. May want a light vest over it if you CC??

I am a retired GM Master Tech, and after around 45 years of turning wrenches, I feel for you.

NOW--Tell me-with you being Left (Wrong)Handed, does the "Lefty Lucy-Righty Tighty" still apply?? HA HA...Bill.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Appendix definitely wont work with the leaning over fenders and such. Just checked the Galco Glove. Looks like a good rig, but not offered for the Bersa .380 or full size XD :(

Thought about small of the back. Still worried about crawling around on the ground or if i have to use a creeper. Also not sure how that would feel getting in and out of cars, as well as driving them? Never tried it either though. Something to think about at least

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    ^^^I don't think so--Do you realize how often a Tech is leaning over a fender, hood, or grill??

I have not carried this way, but a Small of the Back rig may work for you. May want a light vest over it if you CC??

I am a retired GM Master Tech, and after around 45 years of turning wrenches, I feel for you.

NOW--Tell me-with you being Left (Wrong)Handed, does the "Lefty Lucy-Righty Tighty" still apply?? HA HA...Bill.

I would think SOB would be miserable when laying under a car or on a creeper.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    511-holster-shirt-side2.jpg

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When I installed stereos, those installers that carried placed it in their tool box. They were never very far from it and we wore shorts half the year so ankle was out of the question.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I work in a fabrication shop, mainly bending parts on a press brake, and I pocket carry a PT 745 in a Blackhawk pocket holster, I occasionally bump something with it, but have found it is the most concealable, and out of the way place for me to carry and still have easy access to it.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    When I installed stereos, those installers that carried placed it in their tool box. They were never very far from it and we wore shorts half the year so ankle was out of the question.

I never wore shorts, even on the hottest days, so I dont imagine I will now. No problem there. The shop is also a gas station, and Ill be doing a lot of running around away from my box. Being the nature of gas stations to be robbed and what seems to be quite an increase in robberies as of late here in Ft Wayne, Id like to have it on me at all times. My XD will still be on my hip during my full time job, so that will either be put in the box when I arrive at the shop, or just stay locked up in the my vehicle.

The Bersa is too big to be a pocket gun in my opinion. But perhaps that will allow me to convince the wife I NEED to buy another :D. Or just get a SC XD-40 to fit that Galco holster lol

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The Bersa is too big to be a pocket gun in my opinion. But perhaps that will allow me to convince the wife I NEED to buy another :D. Or just get a SC XD-40 to fit that Galco holster lol
    I'm not very familiar with Bersa, but, yes, I had to completely rethink my wardrobe when deciding how to carry at work. No blue jeans, I now only wear cargo type pants and shorts, and the 745 barely, if at all, prints. I've carried that way for 4 years at work, and never had a problem with it, I even pocket carry in shorts in the summer.

I've actually worn cargo pants for so long, I can hardly even wear blue jeans anymore.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I am a recent convert to shoulder holsters. I have my 1911 in one right now. Something like that under your overshirt will be concealed, readily accessible and comfortable. Especially if you get one for the Bersa.

Just about any small pistol holster should work since they are secured by a thumbstrap. The problem is the price, mine was $150... :eek:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County

Awsome, if I ever get pulled over in your neck of the woods dont be surprised if I ask you to fix my trucks stereo lol.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have some insight on this issue.

Im a full time powersports tech, When Im at work I pocket carry my Ruger LCR. I talk to customer all day and the ones who dont know I carry, dont know I carry. But its always there.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Wore the ankle holster my wife got along with her S&W BG .380 to my full time job today. It worked out pretty good. She hasnt been too happy with the way it shoots as of late (long, heavy trigger pull and hurts her hand). So I think shes gonna start toting the Bersa to work since she has to leave it in her vehicle anyway and Ill carry the BG .380 while at the shop. Until we get something else. I dont particularly like the way the BG shoots either

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    Ever think about a necklace type holster? They make them for smaller guns and you wear it like a necklace.
    I know when I work on cars I'm almost never laying on my stomach and it would be above your waist for leaning over fenders.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    When I worked construction and wore overalls (so no pants belt), I used ThunderWear.

Gun Holsters Glock Holsters Concealment Holsters

Obviously not the fastest holster to get too, but even when you are crawling around you take care not to bang your giblets so you won't be banging your gun either. Even with a carpenter's tool belt it was never uncomfortable and no one ever realized I was carrying. Even if they do notice a bulge, who's likely to question you about a bulge in the crotch of your pants?

Top Bottom