• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I picked up a gently used Auto Ordnance 1911A1 this week and took it to the range today. I'm highly impressed with it so far. I ran 50 rounds through her today and she functioned very well. The trigger on this gun is excellent and the accuracy is pretty good. Here's my first mag through it at 7 yards. Anybody else have a newer model AO?

1911target_zps05eec011.jpg

19cc194f-0a33-4100-a655-bd7ced191c9a_zpsef2c5bde.jpg

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Functioned very well? Meaning it didn't malfunction? Or that it malfunctioned a little? Just curious, my cousin was looking at these.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My son bought the Stainless model with all the toys, guide rod, trigger, hammer and beaver tail grip safety. POS actually. Jamb-O-matic.
    I just put a bunch of new parts and a lot of time in it and hopefully it will run through an entire mag without jamming.

I wish you the best of luck with yours.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I have one that looks exactly like yours. It has been a very smooth shooter for me. It isn't my carry gun, so I've only shot FMJs, but it has been 100% reliable. It seems that the key is to get one that was built by Kahr. The pre-Kahr Auto Ordnance 1911s were very uneven quality.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have one that looks exactly like yours. It has been a very smooth shooter for me. It isn't my carry gun, so I've only shot FMJs, but it has been 100% reliable. It seems that the key is to get one that was built by Kahr. The pre-Kahr Auto Ordnance 1911s were very uneven quality.

You are correct but.....mine is a brand new Kahr built piece. I am just cursed.

Again OP....I wish you thousands of rounds of enjoyment.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Functioned very well? Meaning it didn't malfunction? Or that it malfunctioned a little? Just curious, my cousin was looking at these.
    Actually the function was flawless. I used the factory mag as well as a couple Colt mags and experienced no FTF/FTE problems. The build quality seems really good to me. I love this gun so far. I bought it because I wanted an old school 1911 GI Model and preferred it to be made in the USA. Kahr actually redesigned this gun within the last 2 years or so. On the older guns the front strap was much larger. There was about 1/4 inch space between the front of the grip and the beginning of the front strap. Now it's more like a Colt. I also read about people complaining of a long trigger pull but mine is great. I'd estimate about 4lbs maybe? Mine has a nice plastic case with cut out foam inside with space for 2 extra mags as well. Before they just came with a plain old clam shell/foam lined case. It looks like Kahr is doing some good things with this piece.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry to hear that. Surprised you didn't contact Kahr for help, but hopefully you've got the kinks worked out.

I did. It took them a few days to get back to me. 6 to 8 weeks turn around. No thank you. I opted to work on it myself as we have the skills. I just felt that for the price it should run.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Thats my next. I really like the look of the plastic grips better than the wood.
    U gonna rid it of the series 80's shtuff? They say it helps the trigger.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN

Kahr actually bought AO back in 1999. Previously AO was owned by Numrich Gun Parts and built in West Hurley NY. Evidently they produced some real turds and gave AO a terrible reputation. Kahr basically bought the rights to the name and began building the AO guns in their facility in MA. Hopefully Kahr will continue to improve the gun and provide shooters with an affordable American made 1911 that they can be proud to own. I'll have a Colt someday but until then I'm pretty happy with this one. We'll see how it goes with more range time.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Thats my next. I really like the look of the plastic grips better than the wood.
    U gonna rid it of the series 80's shtuff? They say it helps the trigger.
    I thought about doing that before I shot it but the trigger is pretty good so I think I'll leave it alone for now.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    My son bought the Stainless model with all the toys, guide rod, trigger, hammer and beaver tail grip safety. POS actually. Jamb-O-matic.
    I just put a bunch of new parts and a lot of time in it and hopefully it will run through an entire mag without jamming.

I wish you the best of luck with yours.

Thanks Church, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hopefully you'll get it figured out.

Top Bottom