• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Keep seeing this showing up on the local news, sounds like another government scam like the inspection stickers of years past. The people who make the test machines must be buying lots of dinners at Elmo's and Shula's.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Keep seeing this showing up on the local news, sounds like another government scam like the inspection stickers of years past. The people who make the test machines must be buying lots of dinners at Elmo's and Shula's.

Porter county won't let you renew your plates without jumping through their hoops. Fight off emissions testing before you get screwed with it too.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Lake and Porter counties are the only ones that require it. I haven't heard of a push for the rest of the state. :dunno:

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    We finally got rid of that garbage down here a few years ago. It was a big scam. Some of the local tv stations reported on it but not much ever happened. It's a crock of :poop:.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    As an ex-illinois resident I have to say its not that bad... kinda irritating way to waste an afternooon, but hardly something to get in a tiff over.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    As an ex-illinois resident I have to say its not that bad... kinda irritating way to waste an afternooon, but hardly something to get in a tiff over.

What about when you own a perfectly good 15-year-old Jeep Cherokee that won't pass emissions unless you spend $1000 on sensors and gizmos, so that the freaking Check Engine light will go off, and pass their stupid little test?

It gets a little irritating then.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We used to have this back in Michigan. You could pass the emissions test easily with any car by just disconnecting one thing, then reconnect it afterwards. It was a complete waste of time.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was going to say just unplug it. Or do they test to see if the light is functioning?

In MI, they didn't even look at the Check Engine light. They'd give your car a rectal exam and process the output. It was Pass/No Pass.

Regardless, you could easily connect an ODB scanner and ignore the physical CE light anyway, so it wouldn't be a reliable test.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It was on the news that the EPA, that wonderful out of control agency is thinking about forcing Indiana to start emissions testing of all automobiles.

I am guessing that the manufacturers aren't building their cars the way they are supposed to, and that the emission controls aren't doing their job, so we have to pay to have them fixed!!!

Seriously, just another way for big brother to extort money out of us. EPA like ATF (and others) is out of control. Another of those so-called "unfunded mandates".

Just say no!

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    In MI, they didn't even look at the Check Engine light. They'd give your car a rectal exam and process the output. It was Pass/No Pass.
    I thought that was how it was done in NWI, also. I have a BIL that runs a garage in Porter Co. that does the testing.

But if the only thing that keeps Rambone's Jeep from passing is the check-engine light...and it's truly not belching out more crud than it should...I may be mistaken.

I'm not a big tree hugger. But I like to think that when I'm gone there will still be breathable air for my grandaughter and her kids. If it's just a couple of sensors...pick them up at Pick-a-Part or somewhere cheap. They guarantee they work...but you might have to make a couple of trips to get good ones.

But if all it is the the light...that seems kind of silly if it's functioning the way it should.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But if the only thing that keeps Rambone's Jeep from passing is the check-engine light...and it's truly not belching out more crud than it should...I may be mistaken.

I'm not a big tree hugger. But I like to think that when I'm gone there will still be breathable air for my grandaughter and her kids. If it's just a couple of sensors...pick them up at Pick-a-Part or somewhere cheap. They guarantee they work...but you might have to make a couple of trips to get good ones.

In MI, the problem was that the vehicles that had to be tested were generally the ones putting out the least pollution. Cars older than a certain age, and all trucks (commercial or otherwise) were 100% exempt. The whole thing was a giant boondoggle and the people of Michigan finally wised up and repealed that stupid law.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Porter county won't let you renew your plates without jumping through their hoops. Fight off emissions testing before you get screwed with it too.

I can attest to the engine light problem---they check to see that it is functioning, and if it is on, then they will fail your emissions test. All in all, it's a big waste of time, and I can't see where it does anyone any good.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    If they end up requiring it on my diesel truck :laugh: I just switch the computer setting to 0 for the test :D

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers

Regardless, you could easily connect an ODB scanner and ignore the physical CE light anyway, so it wouldn't be a reliable test.
    We had emissions testing back in New Mexico and they did the same thing (testing the output), plus they did a visual inspection to make sure you had all the parts for emissions standards. I had a $400 Mazda 323 that passed the output but it had no catalytic converter, so they would not pass me. When I went to get a price on a new cat, the shop wanted $300 more then the car was worth. Without the part they wouldn't give me their stamp of approval, and in turn, I could not register the vehicle. The whole thing seemed bogus because the car passed the actual output measurement.
    The whole thing is a scam to take more of our hard earned money.

Eric J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Bloomington
    The car companies love it though. New parts, or new cars either way they win.

The breathable air thing is a nice thought but if you look at the number of vehicles on the road with the amount of emissions that they actually put out. The precentage added by cars that don't fit standard is negligible.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    It may not be that bad, but why should I have to ensure that my vehicle meets government emissions standards? Besides, what fun is a mustang or camaro with a catalytic converter?

Top Bottom