• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Interesting article. I figure it’s only a matter of time before all new guns will be required to be entered into this database (and perhaps even all guns legally transferred). It’s been a while since I’ve seen a new gun sold with fired shell casings for submission to LE. Did they stop doing that?

ATF says NIBIN computer imaging can help reduce gun crimes across the country

https://www.foxnews.com/us/atf-nibin-computer-imaging-reduce-gun-crimes

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Interesting article. I figure it’s only a matter of time before all new guns will be required to be entered into this database (and perhaps even all guns legally transferred). It’s been a while since I’ve seen a new gun sold with fired shell casings for submission to LE. Did they stop doing that?

What could go wrong?

ATF is the scum of scum.

They take an oath to protect and defend the constitution of the united States, and then spend their entire career doing all that can ne done to shred it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It’s been a while since I’ve seen a new gun sold with fired shell casings for submission to LE. Did they stop doing that?

Depends on who "they" is, as it was only a requirement in certain jurisdictions. It was never a thing in Indiana. With modern "QC" or the lack thereof I wouldn't be surprised if they figured out they could save a nickel a gun and only include it in those shipped to those specific locals.

NIBIN rarely helped me solve any crimes, and even fewer with an unknown suspect. Rarely isn't never, but given the sheer number of cases I worked I suspect the resources could be better used elsewhere. Now, direct tool mark comparison was helpful several times. IE we figure Joe did it because reasons so get Joe's gun and test fire/compare. But generic shell casings with know known suspect wasn't of much use in all but the rarest occasions. What it does do is tie certain crimes together, though, which can occasionally help in looking for patterns or knowing how to target an interview when a suspect is identified through other means.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Are you sure it is only those arrested for alleged felonies?
    I'm not sure. I haven't looked into it recently, but I remember hearing about it a few years ago. I thought it was only felonies. It may be anyone arrested. Haven't been arrested in quite some time.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Just to continue being a law abiding citizen, I'm going to start turning in all the primers caught in my decapping/sizing process. I've found there is no market for once-fired primers anyway.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Depends on who "they" is, as it was only a requirement in certain jurisdictions. It was never a thing in Indiana. With modern "QC" or the lack thereof I wouldn't be surprised if they figured out they could save a nickel a gun and only include it in those shipped to those specific locals.

NIBIN rarely helped me solve any crimes, and even fewer with an unknown suspect. Rarely isn't never, but given the sheer number of cases I worked I suspect the resources could be better used elsewhere. Now, direct tool mark comparison was helpful several times. IE we figure Joe did it because reasons so get Joe's gun and test fire/compare. But generic shell casings with know known suspect wasn't of much use in all but the rarest occasions. What it does do is tie certain crimes together, though, which can occasionally help in looking for patterns or knowing how to target an interview when a suspect is identified through other means.
    I got some NIBIN hits, but none that solved anything. I could see how it might be helpful to know if there are connections to other cases, if those cases had more info to help mine. But, as often at guns are stolen, sold, etc. it would only be decent lead info. I know the MCFSA firearms guy was big on it.

Top Bottom