At what age did you teach your kids to shoot firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I had both my son and grandson through the hunters ed course and hunting by 7yo.

Shooting came much earlier because I didn't want video games to be their source of education.

First deer taken by my son, when I cut it open on the cold day steam poured out. He said, "Mistic!"

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I shot handgun silhouette. My girls were age 10-12 when they started plinking metal targets. My son shot competition at age 9. When he was 3-4, we would go the the range and I would hold the gun (Ruger Mk II) and he would reach in from the side and pinch the trigger against the rear trigger guard.

True gun control is for you to hold the gun on target while someone else pulls the trigger!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    BB guns at 5, shooting .22 at 7, had his first rifle at 8, been training him since then on gun safety, will turn 19 tomorrow, He inherited a shotgun 2 years ago, bought him a .22 pistol 4 years ago, got him his first carry gun last year after he got his LTCH, just got him a 9mm 1911 yesterday....He's my Huckleberry........
    About the same here.

At 5 or 6, we did airsoft in the basement using bean bag chairs as "cover" from enemy positions. LOL

Someone, maybe on INGO, told me, "When a child starts showing the maturity to take care of a pet (dog, cat, whatever) then they are ready to learn how to use a real firearm." I'm sure that varies, but oddly, within a few weeks after being told that, my oldest boy asked me and Mrs. Miguel he if he could start feeding and watering the dog as his household chore. I think he was 7 or 8. Within a few weeks I had bought a Cricket and he was throwing lead down range!

Top Bottom