• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    Yeah, it's not an appealing title for this thread, but I would appreciate your advice. May wife has arthritis in her hands, making it very difficult to rack the slide on my XD9 Servce Model, for example. She has a Taurus 85 revolver and it kills her hands when she fires it. She does much better shooting the XD and S&W of the same size. The problem comes when she must rack the slide and release the slide. Yes, guns with a hammer rather than a striker block help...but here's the question:

In your experience, what semi-auto 9mm has the easiest slide to rack and release?
    Thanks

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I was just talking with a local shop owner Thursday about how Ruger pistols mostly seem to be easier to rack and release the slide.

I'd agree with this. Not that you talked to a shop owner, but that the Rugers are easiest to rack the slide. My wife especially likes the P95.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Baretta makes tip up barrel models (model 86) so you do not have to rack the slide. Just tip up the rear of the barrel, insert a round, lower the barrel and cock the hammer.

I know they made or made a model like this in .25 (950BS?). Do they make it in other calibers?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I know they made or made a model like this in .25 (950BS?). Do they make it in other calibers?

Model 21A Bobcat - .22LR

Model 3032 Tomcat - .32ACP

Model 86 Cheetah - .380

All have the tipping barrel system. Additionally, Taurus offers small pistols in .22 and .25 with tip-up barrels.

Of the traditional styles, the Bersa Thunder .380s have very smooth actions; I sell a lot of those to women and have seen very few that have problems cycling it.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    She has a Taurus 85 revolver and it kills her hands when she fires it.

Do you still have the factory grips on the Taurus? We changed the grips out on our S&W J-Frame. It can make a noticable difference on the "kick". Some people forget that the snubby is a defensive handgun, not a range gun. Yes, it will hurt an arthritic hand, but you aren't shooting alot of shots at a given time in a defensive situation.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    My wife has carried a Beretta Tomcat in .32 acp for years because of her lack of hand strength. She really likes the tip barrel and the little gun has performed flawlessly.

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    Do you still have the factory grips on the Taurus? We changed the grips out on our S&W J-Frame. It can make a noticable difference on the "kick". Some people forget that the snubby is a defensive handgun, not a range gun. Yes, it will hurt an arthritic hand, but you aren't shooting alot of shots at a given time in a defensive situation.
    Six Forty-two,
    Yup, it's all original...and yes, it's not ment to be a range gun so you've given me something to think about. Thanks.

Top Bottom