• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Recently in the gun control topic threads, there has been some conversation about "felons", with a variety of opinions from "if they've done their time, full rights restored" to "Lock em up and throw away the key". I wanted to start a thread and let others pitch in with examples and conversation to demonstrate just how easy it is to become a dreaded "felon" now days. We assume to become a felon you have to do something pretty heinous, which is not always the case.

Lets begin:

You find some Jazz Cabbage (marijuana) in your kids room and flush it down the toilet. Obstruction of Justice and tampering with evidence

You tell your boss your sick to get the day off. Violation of the honest services fraud act. The “honest services” statute criminalizes “a scheme or artifice to deprive another of the intangible right of honest services.” This criminalized an employee lying to his employer, and as Justice Scalia pointed out, “would seemingly cover a salaried employee’s phoning in sick to go to a ball game.” Prosecutors were able to get those convicted up to five years in federal prison, a $250,000 fine, or both.

You throw away any piece of mail not addressed to you. “Obstruction of Correspondence.”

You are out looking for antler sheds and mushroom and find a cool feather that you pick up to keep or show someone. Turns out it was from any bird listed in the The Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. There's over 1000 species listed. You're now a felon.

Make an error on your taxes and sign the form. Tax Evasion.

I know someone who is... short. They noticed an SUV riding their bumper, after a bit sped up to get em off their butt, and then realized they were so close they couldn't see the lights on the unmarked vehicle. Almost went to jail for Evading/resisting. (OK that's a Class A Misdemeanor but there's always aggravating circumstances that could be added and raise it to a felony.)

I'm sure there is a million more but that's enough to get the conversation started.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is intersting

What are the most common felonies committed in the US? What are common punishments for these felonies? A list of the 20 most common felonies in the US.
    (1) Drug abuse violations 1,841,182
    (2) Driving while Intoxicated 1,427,494 (aka Felony DUI)
    (3) Property crime 1,610,088 (includes burglary, larceny, theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson.)
    (4) Larceny-theft 1,172,762
    (5) Assault 1,305,693
    (6) Disorderly conduct 709,105
    (7) Liquor laws 633,654
    (8) Violent crime 597,447 (including murder, non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, aggravated assault.
    (9) Drunkenness 589,402
    (10) Aggravated assault 433,945

(11) Burglary 303,853
    (12) Vandalism 291,575
    (13) Fraud 252,873
    (14) Weapons violations (carrying or possession) 188,891
    (15) Curfew and loitering 143,002
    (16) Robbery 126,715
    (17) Offenses against family and children 122,812
    (18) Stolen property (buying, receiving, possession) 122,061
    (19) Motor vehicle theft 118,231
    (20) Forgery and counterfeiting 103,448

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The way things are going now, before 2024 we'll ALL be felons. As to prior to that? I'm gonna plead the 5th. :rules:

And since I haven't ever been convicted for anything I might or might not have done as a younger man, well, nevermind--let's just leave it right there.

Reactions: Leo

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    How many felony charges have never been reduced and sentences were on the original charges? How many felony charges were able to show intent? Remember Hillary didn’t intend to break the law with the destruction of her server, so she couldn’t have broken the law.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Governments write laws to control the people. Not to protect us. "Show me the man, I'll show you the crime." But I cannot recall the source. All of us are but one wrong word from the alphabet agencies applying a law we've never heard of to keep us in line, in prison, or off the front lines.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    The point is for them to make virtually everything a felony, because then they (government) own us... Anger the wrong liberal, they'll prosecute to the fullest extent. :(

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I am not admitting anything, but if I have ever done anything illegal it is already well past the statute of limitations. Jim.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    An oldie, but a goodie...

We're All Felons, Now

"There's no way to rule innocent men.
    The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
    Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
    One declares so many things to be a crime
    that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

—Ayn Rand

In his new book, the Boston-based civil liberties advocate and occasional Reason contributor Harvey Silverglate estimates that in 2009, the average American commits about three federal felonies per day... The federal criminal code has become so vast and open to interpretation, Silverglate argues, that a U.S. Attorney can find a way to charge just about anyone with violating federal law. In fact, it's nearly impossible for some business owners to comply with one federal regulation without violating another one. We're no longer governed by laws, we're governed by the whims of lawyers.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I think there are three types of people that should not have access to firearms:
    1. Violent felons
    2. Unsupervised children
    3. Mentally deranged people

The examples you give are all non-violent felonies. In principle I'm in favor of restoring gun rights to convicted non-violent offenders after they complete their sentence. Violent felony convictions are a different matter.

Top Bottom