Are these things put on with an impact wrench???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    So I bought a TORO upgrade slide for my G3c, and a Vortex Venom red dot. Attempting to install the red dot this morning and 1 of the 2 screws on the optics cover plate must've been installed at the auto dealership with an impact wrench, because I just can't get it to budge.

Any suggestions how to get this screw to break loose?

TIA

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Also insert the screwdriver in the screw, push down, turn hard counterclockwise and tap the end of the screwdriver with a hammer, creating an impact driver of sorts. Be careful to apply enough downward pressure that it won't rip the corners off inside the head of the fastener.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    Also insert the screwdriver in the screw, push down, turn hard counterclockwise and tap the end of the screwdriver with a hammer, creating an impact driver of sorts. Be careful to apply enough downward pressure that it won't rip the corners off inside the head of the fastener.

Fortunately it's an allen head screw - had to use the barrel to tap the wrench into the hole due to its tightness. Guess for this 3-handed application I'll get to try out my new gun vise! Woohoo!

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    The heat will probably do the trick.

Clean all threads thoroughly and use Loctite 222 to reassemble.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It may be Loctited in. Try a bit of heat from a heat gun (don't go crazy with it), or place a tip of soldering gun on the screw, then try again.
    This works. Just remember it has to get hot to the touch to get loctite to loosen up. Heat gun works best and is a great thing to have around for other jobs like putting on diy rubber grip tape. There are more uses, but at this moment I can't think of the others I've used it for in firearms related work.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I once had a screw on a plate that I couldn't remove even with heat. The other screw was very tight but I did get it out. The remaining screw wouldn't budge. I ended up stripping the head out, even with a very quality tool.

I went ahead and drilled the head off of the screw. Then I could remove the plate. There was a bit of the screw still sticking out of the hole about the thickness of the plate. The weird thing was that I could actually now turn the screw by hand and removed it. There was no locktight on this screw, I guess it was just overtightened.

1690039712749.png

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    I once had a screw on a plate that I couldn't remove even with heat. The other screw was very tight but I did get it out. The remaining screw wouldn't budge. I ended up stripping the head out, even with a very quality tool.

I went ahead and drilled the head off of the screw. Then I could remove the plate. There was a bit of the screw still sticking out of the hole about the thickness of the plate. The weird thing was that I could actually now turn the screw by hand and removed it. There was no locktight on this screw, I guess it was just overtightened.

View attachment 288607

This is a brand new slide (optics cover plate) screw that refuses to budge, so I may just send it back under factory warranty and let them deal with it. I'll admit I'm trying this using the tiny factory allen wrench provided with the kit, and maybe a t-handle wrench will give the extra leverage needed to break it loose after heating - if not, call will be made to manufacturer Monday morning.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    This is a brand new slide (optics cover plate) screw that refuses to budge, so I may just send it back under factory warranty and let them deal with it. I'll admit I'm trying this using the tiny factory allen wrench provided with the kit, and maybe a t-handle wrench will give the extra leverage needed to break it loose after heating - if not, call will be made to manufacturer Monday morning.
    That is probably the best idea. There is always the chance that you could mess something permanently up.

I wish I had your patience; I could have saved myself some lots of grief over the years :>).

Good luck!

Ron

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    THIS. Let them screw it up.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I didn’t feel like reading every response. What you need is heat, and Constant pressure. I’d you want to get something loose I’ll grab an Allen set, turn (counterclockwise) until there is a decent amount of tension. Then I apply heat. I hold the tension for awhile and with continued heat it breaks free.

Top Bottom