• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is all great info, and I really appreciate it.

Knowing the part names is more than just so I know what to buy, it would also help me follow when people are talking about them, and so I don't sound like an idiot when talking or asking about them.
    I sound like an idiot enough, without adding to it. I know I have and will have more questions.

Looking at the various parts, I see it will cost a chunk to build one. I assume the quality would be better than a manufactured rifle, if using better parts, i.e. Centurion, or Aero pro parts?

I don't have a set budget, since I wasn't intending on building, but I suppose $1500-$2000, if I spaced it out, and bought parts over time.
    Those Matt’s will tell you the name and show the location of every part.

Lpherr

Occupied
    The matched upper/lower set offered by Standard Manf. Is in my mind a serious offering. The cut/finish is on par with any I have seen and I have seen many.
    They are a few dollars more than the Aero pieces but the are sold as a set fit to each other and it is apparent.
    LPKs are all over the place. Don’t jump on cheap. Just avoid cheap. It will pay dividends down the road. ALG makes a very nice enhanced trigger group that is $70-ish.
    A decent quality barrel and hand guard with a serious barrel nut. The BCG is another area to avoid cheap.
    I have gone back to a standard A2 buttstock.
    Sights are a matter of preference. So many options.
    Many of us had the very same questions as you have in our meager beginnings and there was a lot of trial and error along the way. It’s how we learn. Mistakes will be made and learned from.

Set a budget. A realistic one and figure in an optic as you will be getting one anyway.
    Someone on this forum who may be close to you will (I would but did you not say you were well north) set down and show you the ropes. How/where to shop. What you need. And the tools required to assemble it.
    Another way is buy an entry level rifle like an M&P base level and then start changing parts to make it your own.
    I will look at Standard also. Thanks for the info.
    You mention quality barrel. I've seen twist on barrels. Is there a preferred twist?
    Are sights necessary if optics (I assume scope) is installed?
    As for a budget, that will be difficult, until I can determine the best quality and the price that's attached.
    Yep, I'm north central.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You mention quality barrel. I've seen twist on barrels. Is there a preferred twist?
    As for a budget, that will be difficult, until I can determine the best quality and the price that's attached.
    Yep, I'm north central.
    A budget is a base line. What you feel comfy spending.
    Sights or an optic. You can co-witness but one or the other starting out will do.
    Twist is what you choose for the round you intend to run. A 1/7 works as a base line but this is subject to personal taste-experience.

Good thread new guy. Well done.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yep, I'm north central.
    Twist rate would depend on what grain of bullet you want to use most.

Optics if you have poor vision or you want to reach out with accurate MOA shots on targets or varmint hunting.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Twist rate would depend on what grain of bullet you want to use most.

Optics if you have poor vision or you want to reach out with accurate MOA shots on targets or varmint hunting.
    Well damn. I had to look up MOA, and now my head hurts. More good information, and takes me back to class.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well damn. I had to look up MOA, and now my head hurts. More good information, and takes me back to class.
    ar15-twist-rate-vs-bullet-weight-comparison-chart.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Here's another thing. You will need to find what weight of bullet, ammunition maker and type of bullet each barrel likes best. If you are a reloader this is simple and not nearly as costly.
    An example I have a 10/22 and I went through 30 or more bullet types, weights, brands etc... to find what my barrel shot the best. It was Eley force 42gr as the most accurate my barrel liked followed by Agulia Super Extra 40gr.

Now both if my 5.56x45 AR-15's like my reload 75gr Hornady HPBT Match bullet, and 8208xbr load I worked up for them. Both shoot MOA with the same load. Both are 1-8 twist. One is 10.5" barrel the other is a 16.2" barrel.

Once you find the ammunition your rifle likes stock up on it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This one might be worth a look?

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Welcome to the world of AR builds, its been called "Legos for Adults" for good reason.
    Better quality factory builds are usually a bit more predictable than home built, but many a home-build of good parts has been flawless. Plus it is really nice to know what exactly is inside your personal AR-type rifle/carbine/pistol.
    The below chart, popular on the internet, does reflect what i have experienced regarding the quality of parts and complete rifles of the various manufacturers. I'd suggest mid-tier or better.
    Buy once, cry once. And quality stuff holds value well. A DPMS will never be equivalent to an LMT, just saying.

AR15 tier list.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Welcome to the world of AR builds, its been called "Legos for Adults" for good reason.
    Better quality factory builds are usually a bit more predictable than home built, but many a home-build of good parts has been flawless. Plus it is really nice to know what exactly is inside your personal AR-type rifle/carbine/pistol.
    The below chart, popular on the internet, does reflect what i have experienced regarding the quality of parts and complete rifles of the various manufacturers. I'd suggest mid-tier or better.
    Buy once, cry once. And quality stuff holds value well. A DPMS will never be equivalent to an LMT, just saying.

View attachment 174533
    LaRue makes some fine parts and weapons.

Lpherr

Occupied

View attachment 174533
    Thanks for the info. I'll check out some of those options.

Lpherr

Occupied
    If MOA made your head hurt, don't Google spin-drift, or corealis affect
    I'll take some Advil, and look it up. I'm not sure if I need to get as deep into it as some of this info., but it's not bad to learn something new. I'll soon have a Ph.D. in projectiles, and ballistics hanging out with you guys.:shoot:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll take some Advil, and look it up. I'm not sure if I need to get as deep into it as some of this info., but it's not bad to learn something new. I'll soon have a Ph.D. in projectiles, and ballistics hanging out with you guys.:shoot:
    And generally speaking, if you are going to only shoot 100 yards or less, dont worry about those last two. They really only make a huge difference in long range shooting.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Looking at ammunition, I haven't found a 5.56 hollow point. Do they not exist? What's the preferred ammo for self defense?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I could be wrong, but in my experience, plain old hollow points dont do much. IF they expand, they dont do it much. But often they just dont expand. You need a helper. Like a polymer tip to cause the round to expand.

So look up Critical defense and other rounds. Those are JHPs with a polymer tip inserted into the void to provide more consistent feeds and consistent expansion.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I could be wrong, but in my experience, plain old hollow points dont do much. IF they expand, they dont do it much. But often they just dont expand. You need a helper. Like a polymer tip to cause the round to expand.

So look up Critical defense and other rounds. Those are JHPs with a polymer tip inserted into the void to provide more consistent feeds and consistent expansion.
    I was under the impression that the polymer to really only helped hp feed. Standard hollow point or flatter nosed ammo just doesn't like to magazine feed into a fixed chamber. There are a lot of hp choices and if you get into shorter barrels expanding vs frangible makes more sense.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was under the impression that the polymer to really only helped hp feed. Standard hollow point or flatter nosed ammo just doesn't like to magazine feed into a fixed chamber. There are a lot of hp choices and if you get into shorter barrels expanding vs frangible makes more sense.
    You could be right. I thought I recall that just poking a hole by itself doesnt guarantee a reliable expansion. Most HPs are barely missing the tip and the void proportion to larger calibers is far smaller.

Top Bottom