• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info. I'll check it out and see what I can find.

I looked at the previously mentioned Hornady's, but they are out of stock every place I looked.

So, something like the PMC X-TAC 5.56MM and 5.56MM NATO, would be good for target practice? I was given a few boxes of the 55 grain.

My concern is using the incorrect round for PP and over-penetrating. I would think that chance increases, as the distance decreases.

Anything will be fine to practice/plink with. 55gr FMJ will be the cheapest and easiest to find, but also has the greatest risk of over-penetration. A fast-moving 55gr FMJ will start to yaw or tumble when it hits a non-hardened target instead of mushroom or fragment. The slower your bullet, the less likely to significantly yaw or tumble, a bit counter to your last sentence. Might be worth searching YouTube for gel tests so you can see the effects of different rounds / velocities for yourself. This guy does a ton of these, and present the data pretty clearly.

As long as you aren’t using 55gr FMJ for defense, you’re probably ok. Either way, it’s not a bad idea to plan out your fields of fire to reduce the effect of over penetration if it were to happen; where it is/isn’t ok to shoot, and how you need to position yourself to keep from firing into the proverbial baby’s room. Think of it as considering the 4th rule of firearm safety ahead of time.

Might be worth checking the classifieds for ammo.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've got cheap stuff that runs on the edge of functioning.
    Cheap stuff that runs exceptionally well and puts down groups that make my jaw drop.

Then I've got a Colt and an FN that both run like a sewing machine, and the only component I'd consider changing is a trigger.

The price difference between the lot really wasn't that vast, at least before the panic. I'd say the different is mostly down to consistency and quality control. You can get lucky with a really cheap gun that was built when the stars aligned sometimes, I have a 450 bushmaster barrel from BCA that is one of those examples.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've got cheap stuff that runs on the edge of functioning.
    Cheap stuff that runs exceptionally well and puts down groups that make my jaw drop.

Then I've got a Colt and an FN that both run like a sewing machine, and the only component I'd consider changing is a trigger.

The price difference between the lot really wasn't that vast, at least before the panic. I'd say the different is mostly down to consistency and quality control. You can get lucky with a really cheap gun that was built when the stars aligned sometimes, I have a 450 bushmaster barrel from BCA that is one of those examples.
    Or build your own using quality parts and putting it together properly. They will run well also. My Franken AR-15's and AR-10's are usually Aero Precision, Fail Zero, LaRue, Bravo, BCA, and Ballistic Advantage for Barrels, and CMMG parts. They all run fine, they all passed my 2,000 rd no cleaning test. Which I doubt they will ever see that many rds without cleaning again, but they definitely can do that plus.

It's all on the parts and how you put it together. Even expensive AR's can toss out a lemon because of quality control sleeping on the job or thinking about the weekend BBQ instead of doing their job. However, when you do it proudly and properly they will run well.

Top Bottom