• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    New to the ar15 platform here and I'm going over whether or not I should buy a magnifying scope for 500 yard shooting....I'm curious how far out there the ar15 ironsights can get you a consistant hit on a "mansized" target...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    500 yards with iron sights is fine, as long as you know what you're doing.....at 300 yards and beyond you need to account for windage......500 yards with iron sights are what we (U.S. Marines) must qualify at .....beyond that is possible, but it gets hard to see people as they are smaller than the front sight post....

darthfader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    NWI
    your better off to learn your iron sights before you try optics. it was well worth for me to shoot 2000 rnds on iron sights before i got an optic...

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    Yeah, i guess my question basically is, how far out there till the front sight covers too much area limiting your ability to hit a mansized target...curious if anyone has a general number of yards on how far out the ironsights can help you pick off targets.

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    500 yards with iron sights is fine, as long as you know what you're doing.....at 300 yards and beyond you need to account for windage......500 yards with iron sights are what we (U.S. Marines) must qualify at .....beyond that is possible, but it gets hard to see people as they are smaller than the front sight post....

That is a real good answer, thanx!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Never shot over 300yrds but Iron is all I use. Got a small scope to mount on the carry handle, but it's collecting dust in my closet. You just need the right size target, and a little training and practice!

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    i shot up to 550 meters (max effective range for a point target for m16) in the marine corps but all of us shoot to 500meters ever time we qualifiy with our weapons. and once i qualify one the range with a m4 up to 500 meters your pretty much maxing out the elevation but it will do it

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to configure my sights. I want one sight for long range and one sight for close quarters. Sounds like I can go Ironsights for 400 meters and red dot for 75 meters, etc,etc.

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Well my friend that is a big question. One of the first things to think about is: 500 yards is about the end game for the 5.56. So now you are trying to hit a target that most likely is under 6 foot, ,man that is realy pushing it! Like several have told you to get that rifle and shoot and shoot and shoot some more:ar15: I don't think you have time to do that:dunno: Okay, If hitting this target means life or death, you better get you the best scope that you can afford and get it mounted on a rifle and get out there and shoot and shoot and shoot some more:ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15:
    There are a lot of folks that shoot open sights out past a 1000 yards but they just didn't go out and buy a rifle that had a cood set of Iron Sights and think they ar going to hit a target at 500 meters right off :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well, it's your life, and all I was trying to do was giving you things to think about! I have added my :twocents:
    And if need be, I will pray for you.
    Greg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Not that worried about it, myself; as much as things are flat around here, I can't really think of anywhere I can see that far off.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    if you're going to invest that much effort and money in sights....just spend the $800 and pick up an ACOG....it's what we're issued in USMC...and they're AWESOME....you sight it in at about 36.6 yards (if I remember that correctly) and the bullet will strike at the exact same elevation as it will at 300 yards....with the proper model of ACOG the tick marks are already set up for the rounds trajectory and you just place the tick mark on what you want to hit...and it doesn't have an excessive amount of zoom like typical scopes so they are great for close range all the way out to 800 meters you can't beat the versatility of this sight

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    of course that whole 36.6 yards and the ACOG is designed for military issue ammo (m855)...which isn't always the cheapest for just plinking, but you can play around with other ammo and their statistics to see what will be cheaper and as close to it as possible......if SHTF I alway have military penetrator rounds stored away

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yeah, i guess my question basically is, how far out there till the front sight covers too much area limiting your ability to hit a mansized target...curious if anyone has a general number of yards on how far out the ironsights can help you pick off targets.

With Iron Sights...
    One should be able to drop Man Sized Targets with a reliable % at 300 Meters (330 Yards). With some practice a shooter should be able to reach out to 500 Meters (550 Yards) with a reasonable expectation of providing hits on a Man Sized Silhouette.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    With Iron Sights...
    One should be able to drop Man Sized Targets with a reliable % at 300 Meters (330 Yards). With some practice a shooter should be able to reach out to 500 Meters (550 Yards) with a reasonable expectation of providing hits on a Man Sized Silhouette.

You can hit 500 meters consistently...but anything beyond 300 you will have to know how to judge and correct for wind.....if you do not have excellent eye sight you will struggle to decipher the target and front sight post...but you can hit them.....the ACOG will help drastically for those with not so good eyes

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You can hit 500 meters consistently...but anything beyond 300 you will have to know how to judge and correct for wind.....if you do not have excellent eye sight you will struggle to decipher the target and front sight post...but you can hit them.....the ACOG will help drastically for those with not so good eyes

Really?!
    BS...

I used to have terrible eyesight and have always been able to score hits out to and beyond 500 Meters with just Iron Sights. The ACOG is not needed. Correct your fundamentals if you can not score hits out to 500 with Irons... :popcorn:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Really?!
    BS...

I used to have terrible eyesight and have always been able to score hits out to and beyond 500 Meters with just Iron Sights. The ACOG is not needed. Correct your fundamentals if you can not score hits out to 500 with Irons... :popcorn:

I didn't say that "I" couldn't hit at 500 meters nor was I staking a personal attack towards you.....I must qualify at 500 meters all the time...and regularly shoot well beyond that with an array of weapons.....

you have no knowledge of another man's health/eye sight capabilities no matter how "bad" you think yours is....everyone is different....I was merely offering friendly advise to a gentlemen who asked whom likewise, I don't know how his eyes are

on a further note, anyone can hit a "target" at 500 yards...i.e. How large is your target? Your reference leaves a wide range of knowledge open for interpretation......I shoot at "man sized" targets, just as the OP asked about and my original post said BEYOND 500 you will have trouble seeing both the sight and the man

my fundamentals don't need correction, your attitude does

Top Bottom