• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ADDICTED2TONE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Floyds Knobs
    The MLOK stuff uses the same T Nut fasteners that 8020 industrial extrusion uses.
    I think its gonna be problems and I can tell you from my experience with 8020 those nuts do not stay tight under vibration without thread locker. I used to work as a maintenance tech for amazon and half of our shift each day was goin around and tightening up those T Nuts..
    I'll stick with my regular rails..

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    imo the only reason to use MLOK is if you're using a magpul rail or guard. Literally every other company in the industry is using keymod it seems like.

I have both and don't have much of a preference as I'm not a hard user nor do I change attachments often enough to care one way or the other. Keymod seems like it would be a bit more sturdy.

saynation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    South Bend, IN
    Honestly it seems that both systems are targeting different markets. Keymod is being adopted by more high quality manufacturers. M-LOK on the other hand is more optimized for wide scale production. It's going to come down to an battle of quality vs quantity in my opinion.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    imo the only reason to use MLOK is if you're using a magpul rail or guard. Literally every other company in the industry is using keymod it seems like.

I have both and don't have much of a preference as I'm not a hard user nor do I change attachments often enough to care one way or the other. Keymod seems like it would be a bit more sturdy.

I was surprised to see that quite a few other accessories manufacturers are starting to come out with mlok compatible parts

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Why do they insist on doing this? The M1913 rail is so wide spread and works so well. This doesn't need to end up like the stupid AK market where there are an infinite number of variations. One rail to rule them all.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Why do they insist on doing this? The M1913 rail is so wide spread and works so well. This doesn't need to end up like the stupid AK market where there are an infinite number of variations. One rail to rule them all.

We're still using the 1913 rail...we're just making segments of it removable when you don't need them to save weight.

Or if you'd like to go the other direction you just attach the segments that you need, where you need them.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I mean I kinda see it. But not really. I'd always be paranoid that the sections would come off at the wrong time. On my carbine length rail it has a gangster grip, aiming lazer, flashlight and a pressure pad. Pretty much all my rail space is taken and needed.. Just need my eotech and magnifier for the top now!

BCMPatriot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2013
    Auburn
    Keymod seems to be what most companies are making parts for. Magpul probably felt left out. I had that MOE forend on my first AR but then I educated myself and switched to rails from then on. I now own a KMR AR.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen

Because configurable rail + rail connection is bigger profile and more weight. Rails everywhere = cheese grater for your paws.
    I think it makes sense to have direct attachment to keep the hand guard light and smooth.
    All I need is a place for a light and maybe a hand stop or VFG. These are a good way to accomplish that.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    To me, Keymod seems simpler. The setting of the screws on the M-lok seems annoying. So far the Keymod seems like a very tight system. I recently acquired a Geissele MKI. Debating whether or not to trade it for a Keymod system like the BCM KMR... Not saying the M-lok is a bad system, but since we're asking opinions here.

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    i remember when keymod was new and innovative and people were giving it crap. I see the samething with M-Lok, I think they are both quite nice and once you see m-lok accessories coming about, both will be widely accepted as a quality and useful product.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I just bought a Magpul MOE SL hand guard for my carbine Rock River. Do I have to use the M-lok rail attachments or will the MOE rails work also?

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    In my opinion the M-Lok system is actually better in almost all he ways. I think had it come out before Keymod, keymod may have never came or would never have gotten as popular as it is. From a manufacturing standpoint the M-Lok is an easier route from both a machining and injection molding standpoint. I feel like it's more versatile, and done correctly, can be more secure. In addition to that it will work better with more materials then just aluminum.

All that said, it may take awhile to catch on, but since it's Magpul it will no doubt. I've been talking to some of the folks at Magpul of late and it seems there are already many many manufactures designing, prototyping, and making M-lok Parts. In a year or so I suspect it will be quite popular.

:twocents:

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I really don't see any advantage of one over the other. I like the fact (that someone already mentioned earlier) that you still have the benefit of being able to attach what you want with either, and not having a whole bunch of unused rail that adds weight and is uncomfortable to hold.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom