• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I have a Midwest Industries Inc SS-Series SS15 Handguard 15"installed by the previous owner on my AR15. There's two backing nuts trapped beneath the handgaurd (left over from removing the bipod which I didn't purchase). I cannot remove the end trim cover to let these nuts out since I can only loosen/remove one of the four allen screws holding it in place. The other three are locked down tight and the heads slightly wallowed out. After reviewing the MI instalation video I see that I could remove the gaurd in it's entirety and get the nuts out that way. Alas the anti rotation allen set screw in the bottom of the hand gaurd is broken/stripped/partially missing. :xmad:
    Best case I'd like to get all five screws out and replaced and make it all functional again (and get those annoying loose nuts out of course). Worst case I'd settle for just the anti rotational screw being replaced which would also provide me the ability to remove the hand gaurd if and when a future need arises. This is a my first AR and it's very nice and I do not want to F$%^ it up Can anyone recommend a local shop/gunsmith/competent person for this?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You can try an allen wrench the next size up. You may have to tap it in but you said you're replacing the screws anyway. Could try a star shaped bit to give it more bite. :twocents:

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Yeah location would have helped I guess.... North side of Indy not far from Broad Ripple. I tried hammering on a slightly larger allen wrench but still couldn't budge them. I heated them up with a soldering iron also just in case red loctite was used. No good. I will resort to an EZ out or drilling them out as a last resort but since this is my first AR I kind of want to baby it or involve a professional or someone with expertise in this type of thing.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Hmmm.... you're near me but if you've already tried heat I don't know what else to try. I'd drill em out if you don't have an EZ Out. :dunno: You might hit up AllenM. He's in Avon and has plenty of tools and experience.

Top Bottom