• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    I have the final parts for my 300BO on the way finishing my last project. A few days ago I sold my M&P 15, and want to build my first AR10 type rifle. Is the platform reliable? Depending on who you ask, or who's Utube channel you watch or article read, it's a blur of pppppsssslllllllll...... So, who has one, how many rounds down range and how many problems. Just to throw out a little info, I'm going with a Rainier Arms upper lower combo, building a 14" pinned first, then later a 18 or 20, not sure yet.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    In Before Someone says AR10 is only to be used if it is an Armalite...

I have a S&W AR in 308. I have about 200 rounds through it at this point and no problems so far.

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    That's why I said AR10 type rifle. It's kinda the AK/AKM, or the AR15 in general since its specific to the Amalite as well. Speaking in generics.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Parts in a 308 make a huge difference though, you have to know what you're getting into.

I had a DPMS AP4, fun, heavy, put around 500 rounds through it. Had a long chamber so certain handloads would only work in that rifle. Shot 1 load very well, other loads were meh but was fun and it made a large blast.

I have a POF now, I'm happy but only have 39 rounds through it and haven't had the time or energy to work up loads for it

Want to try and build a "light weight" 308 AR sometime in the future

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I'm in the process of building a DPMS pattern rifle on an Aero Precision M5 receiver set.

All I can tell you is do your homework and make sure you get parts that are compatible. There are a lot of companies getting into the game and no set industry standard like you have with the AR15. You will find compatibility issues with various parts, various rail heights, and so forth between the different manufactures.

If building, I'd recomend buying an uper and lower reciever set from the same manufacturer at the very least. This way you shouldn't have issues with them fitting together.

ETA: The major problem you have with building something yourself, is that you are on your own to diagnose and fix any problem that may occur.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm in the process of building a DPMS pattern rifle on an Aero Precision M5 receiver set.

If building, I'd recomend buying an uper and lower reciever set from the same manufacturer at the very least. This way you shouldn't have issues with them fitting together.

ETA: The major problem you have with building something yourself, is that you are on your own to diagnose and fix any problem that may occur.

Got pics of that M5 set? :) I was leaning that way for receivers cause they're decently light weight.

And yes, forgot to mention that. Even if an upper and lower are DPMS pattern from 2 different companies, usually they don't mate up all that well, same goes for different Armalite patterns. So yes, buy an upper and lower from the same manuf.

Seekins is supposed to have their 308 pattern available sometime

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Got pics of that M5 set? :) I was leaning that way for receivers cause they're decently light weight.

And yes, forgot to mention that. Even if an upper and lower are DPMS pattern from 2 different companies, usually they don't mate up all that well, same goes for different Armalite patterns. So yes, buy an upper and lower from the same manuf.

Seekins is supposed to have their 308 pattern available sometime

I don't have any pictures up close. The only thing I need right now to have a (hopefully) functioning rifle is a handguard.

The couple I'm interested in seem to be sold out everywhere I look.

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    The match upper and lower from Rainier is in DPMS pattern. I'm buying the first 14" barrel from them at the same time. The barrel is a Shillen blank in Rainiers name from what I can tell. I did notice that almost everything in .308 is either Armalite or DPMS pattern, as far as builders go?

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Yes, from my understanding everything is either an Armalite or DPMS/SR25 pattern. That doesn't always mean everything will always fit together and work correctly. That being said, I think your chances of having problems are reduced if you stick to quality products from know brands.

Is the Rainer upper a high (.210") or low (.150") tang? You'll need to know that when selecting handguards if you want a continous top rail. SR25 pattern rifles use a .210 upper rail, where as DPMS post 2009 uppers use the the lower rail height to match the AR15 height.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Tactical Machine, Anderson Mfg, and Palmetto State Armory all make VERY affordable uppers/lowers. PSA has their lowers on sale for $129 shipped as of today, PSA "value" line P-TAC is selling a 308 lower for $99.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I can only speak to the DPMS LR308 rifles as Ive had about 4 different models of them. All ran flawless and were very accurate. I never went the route on building one since it would pretty much cost the same or more than to just buy the one I wanted. If you decide to buy one don't hesitate on a DPMS LR308 model. Im not sure were your located but your more than welcome to put a mag through mine to see how you like the DPMS.

Here is a short review vid I did of the Current model I have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6RmhgR9SmA&index=2&list=UUYRnZqthC4LqDXQOX1H7Njg

Top Bottom