• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    Was wanting to make some targets and I have three pieces of AR steel. One is AR400 3/8 inch 12x96 , 1/2 inch 20x35”, and 1/2 inch 24x37”. Don’t know what calibers they are able to handle . I want to shoot rifles and make some plates for handguns. Would like some ideas on size of targets and knowledge on what caliber the 400AR 3/8 is good for? Thanks for any input.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A quick google looks like nothing above 22LR if its 1/4". But at 3/8 and properly hardened you can go up to 9mm. Are you sure its hardened?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Old handgun silhouette targets were often rated about AR400. You should be good with standard handgun calibers. It's the velocity that will eat targets. I have targets rated to about 2200 fps, 2400 fps will crater. 2500 will chew thru with multiple hits. Welding craters can make it worse, you're removing what little hardness you have.
    Just take your steel to the range and test it with assorted calibers, one shot at a time. Start with slow calibers and work into faster calibers. Stop when you see damage.

Top Bottom