• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I like to ponder things that I know are way beyond the scope of things I should mess with but it's entertainment thinking.

What prevents an alternate design for the charging handle that looks more like a pull cord on your mower?
    Thoughts that led me down this road:
    -The charging handles function is only ever tension, it never has a function that requires pushing.
    -It's long been said to be the weak part of the platform.
    -A metal rope cable wouldn't have to come out of the upper in the same location allowing for various design options.
    -current design requires it be pulled straight back. Yes, it's not soooo fragile it breaks if not 100% the correct line of force but you get my point.

Thoughts?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Yeah, a design would have to prevent any danglers for sure.
    That brings up an issue I didn't consider. During the fire cycle there would have to be something to keep it in tension (straight) or you would invite many problems. Deal breaker if not designed around.

Reactions: Leo
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I've moved to the new Springfield Levar charging handle. The new design give you more leverage on removing a stuck case.
    Another thing to consider about if having to pogo the rifle to remove a stuck case, you need something solid to grab onto. It would be really hard to do that with a flexible type handle.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LeVar CH I believe addresses the issues you envision.

Bartocci discusses it from earlier this year, 7:29 LeVar discussion and use demonstration begins:

Yeah, that's why I brought it up. Never had a case stick in any of the ARs but, it has got to be better that the pogo, lol.

ltromann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2022
    Santa Claus, IN
    I like to ponder things that I know are way beyond the scope of things I should mess with but it's entertainment thinking.

What prevents an alternate design for the charging handle that looks more like a pull cord on your mower?
    Thoughts that led me down this road:
    -The charging handles function is only ever tension, it never has a function that requires pushing.
    -It's long been said to be the weak part of the platform.
    -A metal rope cable wouldn't have to come out of the upper in the same location allowing for various design options.
    -current design requires it be pulled straight back. Yes, it's not soooo fragile it breaks if not 100% the correct line of force but you get my point.

Thoughts?
    Seems like a corded handle could be an issue. It could cause weird wear patterns and could punch up inside the upper.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Yeah, that's why I brought it up. Never had a case stick in any of the ARs but, it has got to be better that the pogo, lol.
    On the subject of stuck cases….. had a steel Tula case stick in the chamber. Couldn’t remove with normal operation.

Held the handle then impacted the butt on the ground to “mortar” it. Action opened, handle was fine but the extractor just rounded off the rim.

So basically the case rim should fail before the handle breaks.

Ended up having to pound it out with a steel rod. Glad I had it in my range kit.

That charging handle is surprisingly strong. I’m still curious how the original trigger handle would be to use. Like what you see on the early armalite AR10s and the FA-MAS rifles.
    DC60E266-1D31-433B-BDE4-0D5E57DC5546.jpeg
    A1A4DFEE-820E-4436-B608-2F27754A91F1.jpeg

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, a design would have to prevent any danglers for sure.
    That brings up an issue I didn't consider. During the fire cycle there would have to be something to keep it in tension (straight) or you would invite many problems. Deal breaker if not designed around.
    The charging handle is indeed a week spot but its also simple in its function. That out weights its weekness in my opinion. It would be a neet alternative to the charging handle but in practical use id think it would end up like the trigger crank.

Top Bottom