• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brwnfldl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Soooo, havent seen this before. Anyone else? One chunk went into the chamber, the other went down into the lower. Thankfully the round failed to seat. I almost thought of using the foward assist for the first time, sooooo glad I stopped to check it out.

101_0389.jpg

101_0382.jpg

brwnfldl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Bushmaster, close to 6k rounds. This a common thing? Metal fatigue, cracks?
    How often should I be replacing the bolt?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Bushmaster, close to 6k rounds. This a common thing? Metal fatigue, cracks? How often should I be replacing the bolt?

Not an especially common failure (particularly in commercial guns), but not unheard of, either. Given the round count, I would say it's just honest wear rather than some kind of manufacturing flaw, though I might expect it closer to 10K assuming a "normal" firing schedule. Replace the bolt and drive on.

If it was a "bad" bolt, I would have expected it to crack at the cam pin hole rather than shearing a lug, and at a much lower round count.

I alway thought after 5k it needed replaced or upgraded. (barrel and bolt)

I do not regard the bolt as a planned replacement part; I'll shoot it until something breaks. That said, I have seen 10K thrown around as a benchmark by knowledgeable folks whose opinions I trust. A good chrome-lined carbine barrel should last at least twice that many rounds, again assuming a normal firing schedule and normal ammo.

My :twocents:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    The round failed to seat, did you pull the trigger, and then notice? That looks scary to me not sure what all else would have came apart if the round had went off. Good for you and anyone around you it didn't! I hope I never see this, well I would like to have the time to shoot that much!

zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It is common, for the fact that if a bolt breaks, it will usually break at the two lugs adjacent to the extractor or the cam pin.

This happens because the ar15 bolt

Get a new bolt from denny/bcm/spikes, or if you want something even more durable, get an enhanced bolt from jp or something

Top Bottom