• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    For next year, I've Been debating on just buying an AR-15 and saving time and effort (or just being lazy) or building a custom AR-15 to my own specs with everything I want without modifying a store bought. All pre-built models and custom-built models I'm considering are approx within $500 or so of each other. Just, 1 model requires time and effort to build, and on would probably stay stock for the most part and go straight to work.

I've got some trigger time with this platform (former military) and am a very quick learner when it comes to general smithing and so on, but this would be my first civi AR purchase/build. The idea of building intrigues me and makes learning the nitty-gritty of the platform easier, but makes me just a bit nervous, in case something goes wrong...

Specs required: MPI/HPT Barrel, MPI BCG, 16" mid-length, chrome lined barrel 1/7 twist, A2 front sight, rails with qd mounts, mil spec everything.

Still debating VLTOR EMOD A5 Stock kit vs reg m4, ctr or other mil-spec stock.

There's so many options out there, I can't seem to decide, so I figured I'd get some feedback from resident experts.

BTW, this would be my SHTF/GTW weapon, so I'd like quality stuff without breaking the bank, at least right away...

Opinions? Thanks for any feedback...

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I can recommend M&A parts if you want to buy a complete upper. I got mine from them with an LMT 16" fluted barrel free floated with a flat top upper with BCG and a railed gas block for about $575 keep in mind this was back when everything was all crazy and back ordered 6 to 8 months so the cost will be a lot less now. Also despite the crazy backlogs from back then M&A parts had my upper on my doorstep in 5 days. I was recently in contact with LMT with a few questions about my barrel and they praised M&A parts saying that they are a class act that builds really good rifles. Their web site isn't the greatest I recommend calling them and talking to them on the phone, you just tell them exactly what you want and they will give you a price. They also have a lot to offer that is not listed on the web site so that is another good reason to call...
    AR15 Parts, M16 Parts, Assault Rifles, Tactical Gear M&A Parts, Inc.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I have been debating on the exact same thing over the past few months... build or buy? Well, about a month ago I started ordering parts for my very first build, and I'm glad I made that decision. It's a hell of a lot of fun to pick out the parts and accessories you want. AR-15s are so damn customizable. You can really build the gun to your EXACT requirements, which is really awesome. Everyone is going to have suppliers they like to buy from. I have several. But a good starting point is Palmetto State Armory. They have some incredible holiday specials on the front page of their site right now. Hope this helps you decide.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Since it seems like you have a good idea of what you want, and have a specific purpose for this weapon I think building would be a good option. That way you can get exactly what you want. It could end up costing more in the long run if you buy one from the box and then swap out several parts to get it where you want it.

For me, I had very limited experience with the AR platform so I would have had no idea where to start with a build. I just went ahead and got a complete rifle that was ready to go from the box. That way I can learn the platform and then if down the road I decide I want something specific I can build at that time.

Nothing wrong with either route, but since you have experience and know what you want, building is definitely worth looking into. Just my :twocents:
    Good luck with your decision.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I started a build about 3 months ago with the intention of taking my time and finding the best bargains I could for what I wanted to fit my personal needs.
    I picked up a very nice complete lower at a great price and then ran across an upper for $80 complete except for barrel and charge handle. I grabbed a charge handle at a local flea market for $5 two weeks ago. I still need a barrel but good to go other than that.
    I'm going to have less than $400 in mine when ready to fire. There's a few options I want but no hurry on them and I'll pick them up used when I run across them.
    In the process of looking for upper parts I picked up a Colt complete factory gun from a buddy for next to nothing.
    I'd let him have one of my rifles last year for next to nothing and he returned the favor in kind. Now I have a complete factory Colt AR and a Rat AR almost finished. I'll end up with 2 ARs for basically the price of a single "store bought" gun.
    If you're not in a hurry you can pick up some good deals.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Buy: Something goes wrong you send it back.

Build: Something goes wrong, you figure it out yourself.

Only build if a reputable manufactorer doesnt offer the model you want.

Otherwise, paying more, and NOT having a warrenty is just.. stupid.

That said, I own 3 rifles, 2 are home built, only one is purchased.

But they are purpose built sporting rifles, not generic carbines.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you are mechanically inclined build it yourself. You will learn a lot more. BCM sells complete uppers configured a lot of different ways if you want something specfic. They are more expensive than Palmetto or Spikes though so it may be cheaper to buy a basic upper from one of those two and then change out what you want. Building the lower is easy and should not take more than an hour the first time. Changing the stock is about a 20 second job once you have the buffer tube on.

If it were me I would get a hammer forged barrel because I think they are all either FN M249 blanks or Daniel Defense. Both are top of the line barrel manufacturers. BCM, Spikes, and Palmetto all sell MPI FA BCGs.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Build at least the lower yourself. It is so easy. That way you can configure it with the trigger group, stock, buffer, etc that you want. If you don't want to tackle the upper, there are now so many suppliers out there that already have most configurations covered in uppers at reasonable prices. Many will tweak that configuration as well for you if needed. Or if you want to invest some more money in the project, go the next step and buy the tools needed to build an upper and then the sky is the limit in what you can build.

I'd build ... but that is just me.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My first one I bought an kind of learned the ends and outs from it. Then I dove into building one from ground up, but like dom1104 said the reason I built it was because I couldnt find anyone who sold what I wanted, or I would have bought it also. Just remember if you decide to dive into building an upper there are tools you will need to aquire as well for the build. Good luck on your project:yesway:

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    Thanks all for the feedback, I'm pretty sure I will build so it is to my specs. I just really like the idea of building my own, and dont mind putting in the effort or tools to build. I already have an almost complete upper in mind, but the lower will take some more research to figure out what exactly I want.

Anybody have any opinions between the standard triggers vs some of these 2 stage triggers? I'm very familiar with the standard trigger, but have heard nice things about 2 stage triggers. That info as well would help in figuring out my specific lower configuration.

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    I just finished my build; a Spikes lower receiver with a RRA parts kit and a PSA 20 in 5.56 NATO FN upper. I just posted it.

The experience you will gain is worth the build and you will save at least $300 or more.

louielouie

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Once you start to build you will never be done. Here are the parts i am working on putting together to mod my rifle, still about $150 short of getting it all so I am getting a few pieces at a time.

Rail

FreeFloat.jpg

YHM Gas Block

YHMLowGasBlock.jpg

Sling Attachment

Adapter.jpg

Trigger guard

Trigger.jpg

Extended Latch

Charginghandle-1.jpg

Trim Ring

TrimRing.jpg

5:11 two point padded sling

Sling.jpg

Lucid HD7 Optic

LUCID.jpg

With extensive searching finding the very best prices possible this all comes to $477.46 and the sad part is I probably still wont be done. I also want a new flash hider and stock.

Black Rain Flash Suppressor

BlackRain.jpg

M4 SOCM Stock

Stock.jpg

That will be another $300 :dunno: :ar15:

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I was in this same position a couple of weeks ago too. I decided on a complete AR from Palmetto State. They specs seem to be of good quality. You can't beat their lifetime parts and labor warranty.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    You should build if you like doing that sort of thing and to get what you want a rifle to be. Doing so to save money is the worst reason to do so.

Top Bottom