AR 15 Pistols? Help me understand the hype/expense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So what is the weak link on short barreled .556 accuracy? Is it inherently inaccurate or less forgiving due to the short platform?
    I don't see a weak link in accuracy, 100 yards is as far as I have shot it. The weak link with short ARs is almost the same as full sized ones, improper gassing!

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Some cops I know try to run sub 10" barrels on their patrol rifles and as Vigilant said, they have gas issues (not from fast food, though). What research I've done, a 10" bbl still has a carbine length gas tube, so they "should" cycle reliably. Should have mine together in another week or so, will see what happens.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So what is the weak link on short barreled .556 accuracy? Is it inherently inaccurate or less forgiving due to the short platform?

The weak link is velocity, which does ultimately impact accuracy, as the bullet becomes unstable at a closer range, as well as has a lot more drop than a standard 16" or 20" AR. There is certainly enough barrel length to stabilize the bullet such that closer range accuracy isn't affected. The same holds true for those of us with 300BLK pistols / SBR's. You are shooting a projectile that is leaving the muzzle at a speed that is equivalent to the speed it would be going at say 300yds from a rifle with a longer barrel.

The gas system issues can be overcome by matching the correct gas system length (there is a pistol length tube for a reason) and buffer weight to barrel length, but that isn't always the best solution to the problem. Some guys will use a different sized gas port, and some even go with an adjustable gas block to really dial it in.

That is where the better quality short uppers will start to show the difference....the manufacture will have matched the gas system for the shorter length. Some of the less expensive set ups may just be a standard carbine system which may or may not function optimally.

PiccoloPlayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Because Merika
    2014-05-2617-50-49685_zpsfa89435f.jpg

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

There is none, the effective range is just less. Actually shorter barrels are often more accurate due to the barrel being stiffer.

Top Bottom