• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I think you can do a lot of good work with carry handle irons. The A2 sights are IMO some of the best irons ever put on an infantry rifle.

I also think something as simple as a 4x ACOG is a massive lethality enhancement over irons and history had born this out. Optics are king in the real world. It's not that irons are awful, it's that optics are amazing.

This. Irons have worked well for a very long time, and I used to run them on my ARs “back in the day” because they were “more robust.” Then one day I caved and bought an Aimpoint T1, and my life has never been the same since. “Force multiplier” is the term that comes to mind, and they do that very well.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    How was the underside sling intended to be used? Is it only good for shoulder carrying and not much else? I see a lot of pics of servicemen with M16s with slings 100 mph-taped to the top of the buttstock and paracord’d to the front sight base.
    IMG_7230.jpeg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    How was the underside sling intended to be used? Is it only good for shoulder carrying and not much else? I see a lot of pics of servicemen with M16s with slings 100 mph-taped to the top of the buttstock and paracord’d to the front sight base.
    View attachment 291878
    BFG buttstock adapter lets you relocate the sling to the top of the stock and it can be used as a modern style support sling just fine.

Bottom sling mounts in front go back to forearm loop slings like on the 1903 and M1. I believe even the M16 slings could be used that way depending on where you put the loop.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I'm glad to see the revival as I don't want to see 20 inch guns be deemed "obsolete" and outright discontiued.

I personally enjoy shooting an AR 15 pattern rifle with the 20 inch barrel because of the more mild recoil felt compared to the carbine that has more twang to me.

Also anymore it seems I like shooting either the rifle or carbine with a carry handle sight over a red dot or buis because old school cool.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    View attachment 291878
    Holdover from M14, M1, and M1903. Where the USMC and the Army taught using the sling for support when shooting.

Same reason the trigger guard was designed to pivot open to accept a MITTEN covered hand. (Though on the M14 and M1 a kit was provided to run with a mitten covered hand)

There were a couple kits provided to put the sling on top.
    1692159184345.jpeg

1692159210627.jpeg

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Where do you find those sling-on-top kits? What are they called?
    Put the NSNs into ebay or google or something. (The numbers that start with 1005)

AVOID at all costs the one with the triangle piece of metal. It will wear the heck out of the finish on your front sight gas block. The second kit is much better.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I picked up an A2 upper from PSA last year. I don't know why they call it an A2 though, since it's a flat top. It has an FN barrel and I run it with a 4x ACOG. I'm a fan of this setup. I have a Colt SP1 with a Colt 4x carry handle sight as well and much prefer the ACOG setup.
    c3bb3252c0a1b5cdf9db0487061a8d12.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

It used to be used for shooting. If you want to use the rifle to shoot 1-2 Minute groups, like this, then the sling is required equipment:

XAnkle.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    DSC_0084.jpg

Found a nice shot of my only 20". Colt uncircumcised ban era A2 Sporter upper, non-HBAR, with a PSA lower.

This upper seemed way undergassed and would not run on the rifle buffer until I changed the weights out for aluminum. Great shooter, though. I was going to get the muzzle threaded, but honestly it shoots like a pussycat as is and the weird look has kinda grown on me. I did get Arms Unlimited to send me $50 for catfishing me with pictures of an upper with a regular flash hider, though. :laugh:

$400 for that complete upper as an LE trade in back in 2019. How things change. With the PSA lower I was probably less than $600 all-in, at least before I picked up a Larue 2S trigger for it.

Man I need to shoot this gun more. It really is a light, slim, fantastic gun to shoot and carry.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    It seems in recent years, the classic 20” mil-spec AR-15 A2/A4 model has experienced renewed interest, with manufacturers like Aero (among others) offering complete 20” A2/A4 uppers complete with detachable carry handle rear sight.
    View attachment 290613
    View attachment 290614
    I’ve even seen complete Colt 20” models on the shelf of my local gun store as part of regular inventory at a (shockingly) reasonable price.

Is this (seeming) resurgence pure nostalgia? I was under the impression shorter is better for most practical purposes. Are the 20” A2/A4s once again practical/tactical? A little of both?

I’m tempted to buy one purely because it’s hard to beat the original look aesthetically.
    I love my A4, and I think it's definitely practical. Especially if you have range to shoot it.

I just started shooting this A4 a lot more than my other carbines, and I really enjoy the balance/mitigated recoil.

Attachments

• 20230930_105727.jpg
      20230930_105727.jpg
      919.2 KB · Views: 6
    Top Bottom