• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    any own one of these or other .22 lr conversion kits for the ar? any input would be appreciated.

I have the Ciener kit and run it in my M4 type and 10.5" SBR. It runs well with everything but subsonics, but does occasionally fail to extract a live round when manually cycling the action (I dunno what that's about; my 10/22 does it as well). Accuracy is as good as I am out to 25 yards or so, and I don't have to change the settings on my Aimpoints when running the .22 kit at those distances. It's not a precision piece by any stretch (nor is any .22LR kit that utilizes a 5.56 AR barrel), but it allows me to "run and gun" inexpensively using my existing AR setups. A buddy of mine also has a Ciener kit and shoots more .22 than he does 5.56; he has had good results with his, as well, even running it suppressed.

I bought my Ciener kit used, and it was extremely inexpensive (less than $50.00). Since then, Spikes and CMMG have both come out with essentially improved versions of the Ciener design. Had I to do it over again, I'd go with either of those in a heartbeat, vs. buying a new Ciener kit (or even a used one at the prices they are currently commanding).

HTH!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I bought the Ceiner kit (only because I couldn't find any of the others ANYWHERE) and so far it's run well on the bulk .22 ammo from Walmart. If I had to do it again, I'd get the Spikes or maybe the Oly kit.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have a dedicated VELOCITY ARMS upper (recent purchase) and my daughter runs a CEINER conversion kit (2 years of experience) on her rifle. Both use the same Black Dog Machine magazines. For economy there is nothing better than the CEINER kit, even if you pay full retail for a CEINER kit it is still 1/2 the cost of a dedicated upper. A dedicated upper gives you a bit more accuracy, especially out to 50 yards.

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    Question for those who Own a Ciener

I have a ciener kit, and I have found something I find interesting.
    When I shoot .223, I have my vltor modstock on position 1, but when I switched to .22 I quickly switched to position 5. The reason is, I'm use to shooting with my "nose against the charging handle" which isn't a problem with .223/5.56
    When I shoot .22lr I get ALOT of blast comming back at my face.
    I think it is from gas shooting from the slight gap between the charging handle and the upper reciever.
    I might replace my charging handle with a Gasbuster if I knew it would make that big of a difference.

Has anyone else experienced some blast comming back at you from the charging handle when using the kit?

I HAVE "Successfully" SHOT SUBS in the ciener kit.
    I use the term sucessfully loosely because I had 2 Failure to Feeds when using the SSS 60 grains. The larger bullet seemed to have gotten jammed between the ciener kit and the front of the charging handle when feeding.
    I use full body BDM, which feed Federals flawless.
    The 60gr bullet works better accuracy wise, and was able to get a much tighter group from the SSS (which wasn't far from the group I obtained with the .223 UMC ammo) then from the Federal Value Pack, which frankly was all over the paper at the 50 range at Wilbur Wright.
    The SSS rounds smell strange.... very strange... and they are "strange" to shoot. AR's don't have much recoil to begin with, but with the subs it's like shooting a pellet gun. The noise level is close to nothing, which also has a "strange" feeling when you don't hear, or feel much of anything. The smell and smoke was terrible though, but smell and smoke isn't much of anything to complain about, especially when your shooting fairly tight groups through your AR at about 9 cents a round.
    Sure is a funny looking round.
    135961.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    When I shoot .22lr I get ALOT of blast comming back at my face.

I shoot with my stock in the same position whether I'm shooting 5.56 or .22LR; I haven't noticed any excess gassing with the .22 kit installed.

I might replace my charging handle with a Gasbuster if I knew it would make that big of a difference.

The Ciener kit is not compatible with the Gas Buster charging handle.

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    I shoot with my stock in the same position whether I'm shooting 5.56 or .22LR; I haven't noticed any excess gassing with the .22 kit installed.

The Ciener kit is not compatible with the Gas Buster charging handle.

Thanks for the heads up, wonder if it's just my AR with this "issue"

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I shoot a Ceiner in mine and have not experienced that issue. Are you sure you're fully seating the upper when you reassemble? (Although I'm not sure how it would shoot if it wasn't fully reassembed...)

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    I shoot a Ceiner in mine and have not experienced that issue. Are you sure you're fully seating the upper when you reassemble? (Although I'm not sure how it would shoot if it wasn't fully reassembed...)

Well yes, I can't imagine shooting the AR without it being completely shut. I plan on going to the range this weekend, if weather/time permits, and hopefully will get some hint as to why I might feel some blowback on my face.
    I would like to note that I'm using a DNTC Comp on my muzzle, which does blow alot of dust around up front, but havnt noticed alot of blowback towards my face when using the .223/5.56 so I don't think that would be it.

Top Bottom