• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    A friend of mine has decided to get her LTCH. I was helping her fill it out and we came to the part that asked.

Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care of an emotional or mental illness?

If yes list year of recent treatment, and

submit documentation/recommendation from treating Mental health professional or Treatment Center.

My question is... Is there some standard form she needs to get filled out or just some kind of letter on the Doctor's letterhead saying she is not a threat to herself or others? Does this require her to make an appointment with her doctor?

Thanks.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I would NOT take anything the local PD says as correct. Local PDs have so much bad information. Go stright to The Indiana State Police, they are the ONLY one to determine if you qualify for a permit (as per the IC).

Indiana State Police Firearms Licensing Section 317-233-5054

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    The question on the State Form 36991 to which you refer is:
    "Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care of an emotional or mental illness?" (emphasis added).

"If Yes, (a) list year of recent treatment and (b) submit documentation/recommendation from treating Mental Health Professional or Treatment Center"

Now, despite the semi-literate wording (how does one get treatment for the malady of "psychiatric health care"), I think your friend's answer will have to be "Yes." You take a big risk by not answering truthfully.

There is no form; a recommendation on letter head should suffice. A friend of mine did the same thing-his doc was more than glad to make the recommendation. The doc said he did it for a number of his patients (remembered having to turn down a patient one time).

I think the questions sucks. It should copy the question from the Federal Firearms Form 4473, "Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective . . . or committed to a mental institution." But they didn't ask me when they wrote the 36991
    icon12.gif

Top Bottom