Application process snafu with local PD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Asking for a friend of mine that called me today, he did the application online but on listening the advice of a local LEO he was going the old fashioned route instead of L1 but that's not the issue. The problem is he's gone in four times now and the chief is the only one who can get in the system to retrieve the apps and el chieftain can't remember the password. It's a small town department and every time he has gone in the chief just tells him to come back. He's gone in when other officers are in and they say they can't do anything. He tried to stop at the county sheriff to see if they would help and they were hands off which I told him they probably wouldn't get involved. This started about 3 weeks ago and today was his most recent drop in and he said the CoP didn't seem too interested in trying to retrieve his password to get in the system. He knows of another guy waiting too and neither know what route to go at this point. I suggested maybe trying to call ISP firearms division that handles the apps and see what they say or maybe hinting that local CoP doesn't seem bothered by the whole thing. I know some local PD's want you to meet with the chief before the app goes any further but this is different I would think since he can't even retrieve the app from the system. Anyone got anything other than just be a pest and big him to retrieve the password? TIA

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The problem is he's gone in four times now and the chief is the only one who can get in the system to retrieve the apps and el chieftain can't remember the password.

That is the stupidest excuse I have ever heard. That's the BEST he could come up with?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's not a careless attitude. It's a deliberate attempt to prevent your friend from obtaining an LTCH, to stall him in the hopes he'll give up. I'm not buying that password baloney for a second. It takes ONE PHONE CALL to get a lost password fixed.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    He's not the only one. He told me today there's another guy he knows and someone else that was in there one of the times he stopped. My friend is a pretty stand up guy, has family business there in town, never in trouble, hell I'm not sure he's even used foul language LOL so it's not like they think he's a local hood rat. I'm just wondering if there's somewhere else he can start or make a call to get the guy to change his mind.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    He's not the only one. He told me today there's another guy he knows and someone else that was in there one of the times he stopped. My friend is a pretty stand up guy, has family business there in town, never in trouble, hell I'm not sure he's even used foul language LOL so it's not like they think he's a local hood rat. I'm just wondering if there's somewhere else he can start or make a call to get the guy to change his mind.

A lawyer lol.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Why not fill out the app online and instead of hittingn'submit' hit 'print and then carry it to the CoP and say. " here's my app, sir, may we please proceed?"

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Get a writ of mandamus...

Mandamus is a judicial remedy which is in the form of an order from a superior court to any government subordinate court, corporation or public authority to do or forbear from doing some specific act which that body is obliged under law to do or refrain from doing, as the case may be, and which is in the nature of public duty and in certain cases of a statutory duty

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Thank you Jack pretty much what I was looking for but didn't know the legal terminology. Got to thinking about what FMJ posted but then thought the local PD still needs to submit the apparently through the system. Sent my buddy the info, will post back what he finds out. Thanks to those that responded

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Buddy has a call in to ISP, waiting to hear back from someone there.
    I think this was the proper first course of action to try and get some resolution since the ISP is the administrative authority. Hope it works out.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just out of curiosity and for kicks..call the ACLU. They are all the time claiming to stand up for the little guy being oppressed by the government, evil big business, etc.

It's a long shot, and probably a waste of time, but it might be worth a phone call.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Top of the Food Chain:

Your Congressman. TREMENDOUS power, starts with the first phone-message. And it is an election year. HAVE ALL YOUR HISTORY AND FACTS IN A NICE SWEET PACKAGE, including any positive ACLU response. KEEP A COPY for yourself. Your LEO will NEVER forget you, in a positive sort of way. EBG
    Buddy has a call in to ISP, waiting to hear back from someone there.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Update: My buddy spoke with a woman at ISP on monday and she started things rolling said to give her until friday (today). Today he got a call from one of the officers in his town to come in and sign a document and get to process moving forward which he did. He found out there was three others in the same boat and she made a few attempts to get with the CoP with nothing advancing. I'm not sure how they are getting around him or how the whole deal is shaking out but he said everyone has their money (local and state), finger prints and a signed document so they can try and retrieve the electronic app. I think he said she was personally going to handle all of their applications so there would be no more time wasted. Give a big +1 to ISP and whoever it was locally that handled their situation. -1 to the CoP, he still seems to be a bafoon, and hopefully something will be done about it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Update: My buddy spoke with a woman at ISP on monday and she started things rolling said to give her until friday (today). Today he got a call from one of the officers in his town to come in and sign a document and get to process moving forward which he did. He found out there was three others in the same boat and she made a few attempts to get with the CoP with nothing advancing. I'm not sure how they are getting around him or how the whole deal is shaking out but he said everyone has their money (local and state), finger prints and a signed document so they can try and retrieve the electronic app. I think he said she was personally going to handle all of their applications so there would be no more time wasted. Give a big +1 to ISP and whoever it was locally that handled their situation. -1 to the CoP, he still seems to be a bafoon, and hopefully something will be done about it.

So much wasted effort because one person refuses to do his job. At least your friend is getting results.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    So much wasted effort because one person refuses to do his job. At least your friend is getting results.

True, very true. From what he was telling me, it sounds as though ISP was pretty frustrated too. He said the woman helping him tried to reach him multiple times through the week to no avail. Hopefully he loses his job.

Top Bottom