• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't use one, but my understanding is that they're used to retrieve your pistol if you drop it because you had to use your hands for something else, like not doing a faceplant when you're falling. If this is incorrect, I look forward to learning something new. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I think that a similar question was asked here not that long ago and the general consensus was that almost no one used one, outside of one member here who is military and he used it in the line of duty only.

I agree with BOR on its alleged use.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I don't use one, but my understanding is that they're used to retrieve your pistol if you drop it because you had to use your hands for something else, like not doing a faceplant when you're falling. If this is incorrect, I look forward to learning something new. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

I think that a similar question was asked here not that long ago and the general consensus was that almost no one used one, outside of one member here who is military and he used it in the line of duty only.

I agree with BOR on its alleged use.

Bill is on the right track, there are several times when you can and may drop a pistol in an actual combat setting. Sometimes just because it is empty, and takes to long to reload...

I would be that member. And lanyards do have there place. Sometimes... ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is "The Cutting Edge" sub forum. I think Hickman is referring to lanyard use with knives. I'm curious also.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    This is "The Cutting Edge" sub forum. I think Hickman is referring to lanyard use with knives. I'm curious also.

No way would I use a Lanyard on either a knife or a rope wrench. Generally if I have lost control of the blade I want it as far away from my body as I can get it.

However I do know of persons who use wrist loops on their knives...

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i use them ONLY on fixed blades.... i assume the same way as the vid above, which i didn't watch. retain the knife even if i lose my grip and it "falls".

folder.... personally... i think its fruity as all heck. but if you drop it down in a river, or ravine, or similiar, you haven't 100% "lost" it... a hook and line and you could POSSIBLY get it back.

99.9% of the folders you see with lanyards are there for "cool guy" reasons. ie: they think its cool. no real use other than that.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Hey If Angelina Jolie didn't need one in tomb raider they why should I need one?....lol This question only applies if you payed attention to more than just her boobs, hips and lips...lol

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Then what's left? Her sparkling personality?

Please do not ruin my Lara Croft fantasies by telling me she has a great personality. I know what that means, any girl when referred to as having a personality means she is either fat, ugly, has mental issues, or any combination of the before mentioned. So shush! :D

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Hey If Angelina Jolie didn't need one in tomb raider they why should I need one?....lol This question only applies if you payed attention to more than just her boobs, hips and lips...lol

I'm sorry I didn't realize there was anything more in that movie (which is why its my favorite movie :D)

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Please do not ruin my Lara Croft fantasies by telling me she has a great personality. I know what that means, any girl when referred to as having a personality means she is either fat, ugly, has mental issues, or any combination of the before mentioned. So shush! :D

don't know that I have met a woman yet without SOME mental issues :D

emrock32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    FW IN
    My Stiff Kiss knife had one. I usually used it to pull it out of the sheath located on my hip at 4:00. When I actually had to use it I grabbed the grip though to save time from repositioning my hand to grab the actual handle. I think they are helpful except in combat situations unless it is a round one that can loop like the video above. But I dont think I;m going to loop a lanyard around my hand while some dude is coming at me...

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I know some guys that use em overseas cuz they can fall out of pockets and ****. Just a string of 550 cord with a small caribiner on the end. That's actually how I lost my first benchmade, but the lanyard pissese me off enough to not bother with it, lol.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya

a girl can have a good personality and still be hot. BUT, when described, personality will never be the first praised trait. unless she is fat, ugly, etc.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I know some guys that use em overseas cuz they can fall out of pockets and ****. Just a string of 550 cord with a small caribiner on the end. That's actually how I lost my first benchmade, but the lanyard pissese me off enough to not bother with it, lol.

I've used them for that reason after hearing stories from Black Hats about many a good knife lost on the DZ. The last place I trained required us to "tie-down" everything we carried, including my multi-tool. The guys who didn't lost a few things. Including me (lost my Sure Fire G2) while trying to clear a jammed 249 at 4 am.

Top Bottom