Anyone local have a Spyderco Sharpmaker?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Curious as to how well these work. I have a S&W M&P pocket knife that needs a edge and I was wanting to see how well they worked before buying one. I have read nothing but great things about them but still can't tell how sharp a knife is till you have it in your hands. I've seen quite a few people do amazing things with a regular ol rock but I just can't seem to get the angle right. Any insight would be great, even if it's a business that you can point me to.

Thanks in advance Rich

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm not near you, but my spyderco sharpener is outstanding. I also bought the diamond sharpeners years after the first purchase. You'll be glad you bought it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Don't mess with the angle, get a LANSKY.

Just ordered one off of Amazon this morning:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Diamond-Deluxe-Sharpening-System/dp/B000B8L6LS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1254420843&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Lansky Diamond Deluxe Sharpening System with Extra Coarse, Coarse, Medium and Fine Hones: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I have the Lansky deluxe sharpening kit with extra hones, I've not gotten the greatest results out of it. It'll get the job done, but I'm not really impressed by it.

For what it's worth, Spyderco started making sharpeners back in 1978, then went on to make knives from 1981 on. I just ordered my first Spyderco knife this weekend, so their sharpmaker is on my list as well. I've yet to hear any real criticism of the Sharpmaker system, but just about everyone I know with a Lanksy is just "ehh, it works ok I guess" about it. I fall into that category as well.

I also need to get a leather strop and some compound for polishing finished edges.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I was going to get the sharpmaker, but I read some people didn't like it because the angles weren't precise because the user still controlled the blade.

I did get the black and green compounds, but need to find some good leather for a strop.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I'm sure the sharpmaker is excellent, I just haven't had a need for it yet. I use a lansky and have been happy with it.
    I hate the diamond set though... it removes too much metal too fast and doesn't include a true fine-grit stone. My diamond lansky set has been sitting for two years without use. I like the standard lansky kit with the 1,000 grit ceramic hone. The extra-fine stone brings my blades to a razor sharp edge.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Hmmmm, I tore between the two. I'm concerned about proper angle for the most part. I worry that I will be buying something I can't use to it fullest potential. Anyone else?

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    In my opinion, the Sharpmaker is the easiest to use for someone that does not want to take a lot of time sharpening knives. Once you get all your common knives to the right bevel, it is easy to keep them sharp.

Comes with a video to show you how to use it. Personally I like the Edge Pro best, but they are expensive and more for someone that sharpens a lot of knives and scissors.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'll feel confident that the Lansky will do what I want, got lots of recommendations on bladeforums.com

We'll see, it's better than what I have at home now, which is nothing :D

Top Bottom