• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I own a Swedish Mauser that's beautiful best I've ever seen so I don't want to shoot it much but it also came with close to 800rds of ammo. My questions are first is all 6.5x55 the same? Second does anyone make a more modern gun in that caliber? Third what's your thoughts of the 6.5 and what caliber is closest related to it today?

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Sure wish I had 800 rounds of the mil-surp ammo! The Winchester Model 70, Remington Model 700, and Ruger M77 have all been offered in the 6.5x55 cartridge. Its popularity has likely suffered in this country because of ammo availability, but it is (in my opinion) one of the finest short action long range cartridges ever designed. The Ruger 6.5 Creedmore is quite similar to the 6.5x55, I think.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Love the 6.5 cartridge, flat shooting, recoil is very light. i have military rifles also, but did break down and bought a tikka myself. love it. i reload most all of my ammo so i can find what shoots best out of each rifle.

jonkertb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Putnam County
    I've been watching nearly every day for a 6.5 Swede Mauser to show up in the classified. I used one of a friends while in South Africa hunting and fell in love with it and the round. Low recoil, easy on the ears, and lethal at distance.
    tom....searching

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I own a Swedish Mauser that's beautiful best I've ever seen so I don't want to shoot it much but it also came with close to 800rds of ammo. My questions are first is all 6.5x55 the same? Second does anyone make a more modern gun in that caliber? Third what's your thoughts of the 6.5 and what caliber is closest related to it today?

yes 6.5 x 55 is the same..
    there are many makers of rifles in this chambering, it is very popular acrossed the atlantic..
    the problem you will run into is many of them are very high end

Sauer 202 Two Caliber Set 6.5x55 and .308 for sale (986558108)

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    6.5 x55 has led to the the development of 6.5 Creedmor and 6.5 Grendel. The way the 6.5 bullets travel through the air gives it a much flatter and farther flying trajectory than say .308. If you're wanting a modern, say AR style, in 6.5x55, I don't personally know of any off the shelf ones you could buy. There are companies that will custom make a rifle for you but expect it to be expensive and take a long time. I've actually seen an 8mm mauser AR as well as a 300 win mag AR. But again this were all custom built.

The closest thing you could probably find off the shelf wise is 6.5 grendel in an AR platform.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Personally I would just purchase another Swiss K-31 if you don't want to shoot the one you have. I have a K-31 with a scope mounted, and it is a "Sweet" shooter. I don't have but about 1/2 the rounds you do - all Swiss GP-11 surplus.

Almost all K-31's are in amazing shape. This is due to a few unique ways the Swiss treat their firearms. First the ammo they used (7.5 X 55) was always Non-corrosive, boxer primed and is in my opinion some of the finest ammo made. It is as good or better than any commercial match or custom ammo made. Second, all their rifles were usually kept by the same person from issue until it was removed from service. (some were moved one time to a second "older inactive member" as they upgraded the younger "active" service members to newer weapons). The Swiss maintained their weapons well, using gun "grease" instead of oil, I've never seen anything but a polished, bright bore on any K-31.

The price of a K-31 is somewhere in the $300 to $500 range, real hard to find any firearm that will compare for anywhere near that price.

One issue, if you reload for the K-31, the GP-11 has a unique olgive, I believe there is one manufacturer that does produce a bullet with nearly the same profile - never reloaded any (Yet) so can't remember which one. If you put a standard profile bullet in the case you must change the COL or risk damage to you and/or your gun as the bullet will impact the lands when chambered and could cause extreme pressures. So far I have found the GP-11 for low enough cost that I am just accumulating brass. I'll worry about reloading when the supply dries up or prices raise a lot.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I might look into that. Mine is a 1906 gustaf. I bought 4 sold 3 and just have 1 left they belonged to a school in Sweden like our military school they where dress and ceremony guns.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    6.5 x55 has led to the the development of 6.5 Creedmor and 6.5 Grendel. The way the 6.5 bullets travel through the air gives it a much flatter and farther flying trajectory than say .308. If you're wanting a modern, say AR style, in 6.5x55, I don't personally know of any off the shelf ones you could buy. There are companies that will custom make a rifle for you but expect it to be expensive and take a long time. I've actually seen an 8mm mauser AR as well as a 300 win mag AR. But again this were all custom built.

The closest thing you could probably find off the shelf wise is 6.5 grendel in an AR platform.

.260 remington is an option also,

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    i would get a modern 6.5x55 if u want to use the full potential of the round. Most commercial rounds for it are on the lighter side due to the older guns not being able to handle the hotter loads. if you get a "modern" 6.5x55 rifle then you can use any and all bullets, including your own reloads.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    No I am looking for bolt action possibly. Just something I can you to shoot the ammo I don't want to take the chance of damaging it.

i got bit by the 6.5x55 bug like you, i first got a 6.5 swede and loved the caliber..
    it is a very common chambering for hunting all over the world, check local gun shops & cabela gun library, you will find a few gems once in a while..

Top Bottom