Anyone know anything about Cherry trees?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I have a small orchard. Most of the fruit trees were planted last spring. I have Apple, Peach, Pear, Plumb, and Cherry trees. All the trees looked good through last year. The Cherry trees are all around 3’-4’ tall. I have one Stella, one Bing, and one Montmercy. The Stella has a couple of small leaves. The other two still seam to be alive, but none of their blooms have opened yet. No signs of leaves. All the other fruit trees are doing great. So, what’s the deal with the Cherry trees? Are they late bloomers? Can they be saved?

drumsscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carmel
    My wife is the horticulturist for Brehob's Nursery.
    She definitely thinks the condition was due to the severe winter and drastic temperature changes.
    Cherry trees should have already leafed out by now. Last ditch effort give them a good soaking once a week.
    Also, get your fingernail and scrap the bark of an area..see if there is any green underneath..if not that's a good indication.
    Give it a few more weeks and then if nothing happens it's time for George Washington.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Drums Scott, Thanks for the info. I did scrape the bark and they are alll green still. I’ll make sure it stays watered and give them a few weeks.

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I lost my Cherry tree 2 years ago due to a hard freeze. Was bloomed out a we had a hard frost. Last year it only had a small branch bloom out and by summer it had lost most of the leaves on it. I cut it down but not all the way it had a new start coming up from the base and this year it is about 2 ft tall and had blooms on it. Any sign of a new start any where?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am way north of you and both of my cherry trees are fully leaved out, already blossomed and starting to drop their blooms now.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I lost my Cherry tree 2 years ago due to a hard freeze. Was bloomed out a we had a hard frost. Last year it only had a small branch bloom out and by summer it had lost most of the leaves on it. I cut it down but not all the way it had a new start coming up from the base and this year it is about 2 ft tall and had blooms on it. Any sign of a new start any where?
    One of them does appear or have a new start coming from the dirt. Think I should cut that one down a bit?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    One of them does appear or have a new start coming from the dirt. Think I should cut that one down a bit?

It's not uncommon for trees that have been killed by freezing or pests to sprout from the roots. If the roots are healthy, you can get a nice tree, eventually. But, if your cherry tree was grafted (and I think most are), that means the new tree will probably be a different variety than the old part that died. You won't know until the tree gets old enough to bear fruit.

If I had my heart set on a particular kind of cherry, I'd get a new tree, but I'd probably keep the little sprout growing out of curiosity.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    It's not uncommon for trees that have been killed by freezing or pests to sprout from the roots. If the roots are healthy, you can get a nice tree, eventually. But, if your cherry tree was grafted (and I think most are), that means the new tree will probably be a different variety than the old part that died. You won't know until the tree gets old enough to bear fruit.

If I had my heart set on a particular kind of cherry, I'd get a new tree, but I'd probably keep the little sprout growing out of curiosity.

I think this is what I will do. I’d like to get a couple new Cherry trees, then if the sprout turns into a nice cherry tree as well, that just means more cherries for me!

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I think this is what I will do. I’d like to get a couple new Cherry trees, then if the sprout turns into a nice cherry tree as well, that just means more cherries for me!

They sprout will likely be a full height variety rather than the dwarf or semi-dwarf that you bought.

Top Bottom