• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I am thinking real hard about doing this. Several places are still offering the AMD65 kits affordably, so I might pick one up and give this a go. Hoping to find one at the Knob Creek shoot Saturday. If anyone has done this more locally, I might be giving you a shout about Form 1 particulars and any other build questions that might arise.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Im not really local anymore, but I have built a SBR AK. Specifically a side folding M92.

Let me know if you run into any issues, but the AK build is... ridiculously simple, esp when your using a non-virgin parts kit. Sent it out to be media-blasted/parkerized, but everything else I did myself, in my kitchen.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    got pics of that m92 side folder?

I did my draco side folder and helped stainer do his mini draco side folder.
    my draco in the early stages
    picture.php

Stainers mini (pic by theuzibutton...WOW)
    NFA_DracoSBR_01.jpg

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I love my little shorty, and so does everyone else too! My Short AK is fun as well! I bought a Mini Draco when they were cheaper ($350) and put an Ace side folder on it with the help from VitaminK. If that was all I was going to do to it, it could have been a really cheap project. But then came rails, G2 trigger, red dot sight, new grip, and AFG. Still relatively cheap and it should like a fire breathing dream!

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think I just may go down this route if I can get the CFO to giver her blessing. All my local buds think it's a cool idea.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I've changed it about 12 frikkin times here is a more recent picture, though i've since taking the lower rail off and i'm using a standard plastic hand guard.

picture.php

picture.php

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    VitaminK and Stainer...when you attached the ACE side folder, did you drill and tap the rear trunion or did you just drill it and use a nut and washer to secure it from the inside of the receiver? I just received my stamp from the ATF and am wavering back and forth on the best/easiest way to attach the stock. Did you freehand the holes or did you use a drill press? I've seen a multitude of ways to do it on other sites. Thanks

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    VitaminK and Stainer...when you attached the ACE side folder, did you drill and tap the rear trunion or did you just drill it and use a nut and washer to secure it from the inside of the receiver? I just received my stamp from the ATF and am wavering back and forth on the best/easiest way to attach the stock. Did you freehand the holes or did you use a drill press? I've seen a multitude of ways to do it on other sites. Thanks
    They drilled and tapped it. VitaminK also drilled and tapped my rear trunion for my SBR too. Here is a pic of my Draco SBR.
    6851491172_23a7dfb3c2.jpg

I moved the red dot up, but it is a crappy cell phone pic, but here it is now:
    6987943646_58b5fc265c.jpg

I am looking into getting a side folding adapter for it so I can make it smaller, but I'm undecided right now.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Yep. All 3 were drilled and tapped. It'll be a lot stronger that way. If you want, u can drill, tap, use longer bolts, and secure the ends with nuts if you're so inclined. Make sure you have the pistol trunion before you go drilling anything. The underfolder trunion is forged out of liquid black diamonds. Another friend got his stamp, but he had the underfolder. If you need to drill it, get a carbide bit (not carbide tipped) and use that. If i had it to do over again, i would have given him my yugo m92 underfolder stock and cut the holes for an UF and saved myself the headache. I've never broken a tap before and broke one off in both holes requiring me to buy a carbide bit to drill through the taps and pick the chunks out. UGH.

You'll know if you have the UF trunion as the sides of the trunion inside the receiver have a large nickel-ish sized hole. If you have issues, send me a PM.

IlikeAk's

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Awesome AK's guys! Not to highjack the thread but does anyone know how difficult it would be to convert one of those Zastava ak pistols to a side folding SBR?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Picked up a matching AMD65 parts kit with barrel today from APEX at the MG shoot. I also rummaged around and grabbed a regular rear trunion. While I don't mind the overall look of the AMD65, I was not impressed with it's little wire stock when I tried a clone a few years back. I think in the end I will build this with a little Hungarian flavor while utilizing a folding stock I know I like.

AKS-74U

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    If i had it to do over again, i would have given him my yugo m92 underfolder stock and cut the holes for an UF and saved myself the headache. I've never broken a tap before and broke one off in both holes requiring me to buy a carbide bit to drill through the taps and pick the chunks out. UGH.

You'll know if you have the UF trunion as the sides of the trunion inside the receiver have a large nickel-ish sized hole. If you have issues, send me a PM.

Vitamink, my post count is too low to PM, but do you still have the M92 UF setup? I may be looking for one.

Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions for the underfolder hole in the receiver/trunnion?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I don't have it my man. Pretty much as soon as I posted the above, someone wanted it and PMed the hell out of me. I think apex gun parts has some for sale and if you google "underfolder template" then click images you'll get your dimensions. I'd do it for you but I'm on my phone and I'm not that skilled.

Top Bottom