• ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    No real world experience other than grand jury duty and seeing the results of a "get off me gun".
    Dude was in bed, brother came on top of him to beat the :poop: out of him.
    Dude had a .380 under his pillow, pulled it out and shot brother once and got up to run.
    Brother's blood trail followed dude through the basement then to the top of the stairs before
    he expired.
    Wonder how far brother could have run if hit with a 22.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I’m curious if you have tried your NAA with the folding grip.

IMG_4975.png

The two seem similar. And if you’ve already got the NAA this might be a better option.

Although I still feel for the size and weight LCP makes more sense for a get off me gun. To each their own.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    If you need a GTFOM gun, give serious consideration to the Keltec P32, loaded w/Fiocchi 73gr hardball. It weighs 6 oz. unloaded and 6+1 and a spare magazine full are barely noticeable when carrying. DAO, no manual safety to fiddle with. It is ready to go as soon as you get you hand on it. Mine is over 20 years old, with over 1,000 rounds through it, and never a hiccup. Oh, and less expensive than your posted 'gimmick' gun.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    If you need a GTFOM gun, give serious consideration to the Keltec P32, loaded w/Fiocchi 73gr hardball. It weighs 6 oz. unloaded and 6+1 and a spare magazine full are barely noticeable when carrying. DAO, no manual safety to fiddle with. It is ready to go as soon as you get you hand on it. Mine is over 20 years old, with over 1,000 rounds through it, and never a hiccup. Oh, and less expensive than your posted 'gimmick' gun.
    THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ full disclosure.. I have 2, and I love them, my wife has one at her desk, and I carry mine whenever I'm not wearing jeans with a belt....PJ's, sweats, shorts....

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Better than nothing for sure.
    Honestly disagree.
    I remember seeing a Paul Harrell video once where he discussed the saying "better than nothing."

He did it in his typical humorous way, by setting up two soda jugs and first engaging them with "nothing" and then with a 22lr pocket pistol.

I remember it stuck with me, because at first when he said he was going to test the effect of "nothing" on soda jugs, I laughed out loud, and thought that he was just going to video himself staring at the two bottles of soda and doing nothing for a few seconds.

But when it came time to test "nothing", he ran over and sent the two jugs flying with a solid kick.

For some reason this slightly goofy exercise really drilled into me the idea that one rarely, if ever, has "nothing" to defend oneself with. Knives, hammers, screwdrivers, or even just feet and fists can do a heck of a lot of damage to the human body, and although I'm afraid I lack the real world experience the OP asked for, I really must concur with BBI that I'd sooner rely on my own two fists to get someone off me than this amusing contraption.

YMMV.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No real world experience other than grand jury duty and seeing the results of a "get off me gun".
    Dude was in bed, brother came on top of him to beat the :poop: out of him.
    Dude had a .380 under his pillow, pulled it out and shot brother once and got up to run.
    Brother's blood trail followed dude through the basement then to the top of the stairs before
    he expired.
    Wonder how far brother could have run if hit with a 22.

Even discounting difference in caliber:

.380: reach under pillow, you're in a firing grip already, get gun on line with bad guy bits, pull trigger. Maybe deactivate a manual safety depending on gun.

Rube Goldberg revolver: Reach under pillow. Remove 'gun'. Push button. Adjust grip to newly shaped 'gun'. Thumb cock, compromising your grip as your thumb is no longer part of the equation. Get gun on line with bad guy bits. Deal with the little single action trigger.

First shot didn't work, bad guy knows you've got a weapon for sure...pull trigger again or partially break grip to thumb cock?

Wonder how many people would manage to not drop the gun when getting beaten and, if the bad guy notices, be able to retain it while going through the required manipulations?

100% rather have a fixed blade in the same scenario. Much lower skill level required to go 'monkey with a screwdriver' than attempt to get this thing in what it thinks is fighting condition.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I remember seeing a Paul Harrell video once where he discussed the saying "better than nothing."

He did it in his typical humorous way, by setting up two soda jugs and first engaging them with "nothing" and then with a 22lr pocket pistol.

I remember it stuck with me, because at first when he said he was going to test the effect of "nothing" on soda jugs, I laughed out loud, and thought that he was just going to video himself staring at the two bottles of soda and doing nothing for a few seconds.

But when it came time to test "nothing", he ran over and sent the two jugs flying with a solid kick.

For some reason this slightly goofy exercise really drilled into me the idea that one rarely, if ever, has "nothing" to defend oneself with. Knives, hammers, screwdrivers, or even just feet and fists can do a heck of a lot of damage to the human body, and although I'm afraid I lack the real world experience the OP asked for, I really must concur with BBI that I'd sooner rely on my own two fists to get someone off me than this amusing contraption.

YMMV.

This, or simply thinking you can fight when you can't. Presenting a non-functional (mechanically or operator induced) firearm is generally more dangerous than compliance or avoidance in the same scenario. You think you can deal with the mugger so you try instead of just giving up your wallet and get shot for it sort of thing.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    You won't find many anecdotal stories here because the few people that have been on INGO more than 10 minutes and still have one aren't crazy enough to admit it. Lots of reasons already given so won't rehash them.

I once met a guy at the range who got excited when I said I liked oddities and started digging around in his pants. After a solid 40 seconds fishing around in his pocket he pulled out a loaded life card pistol (sorry to disappoint you guys) and was REAL proud of it. I tried to be diplomatic...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You won't find many anecdotal stories here because the few people that have been on INGO more than 10 minutes and still have one aren't crazy enough to admit it. Lots of reasons already given so won't rehash them.

I once met a guy at the range who got excited when I said I liked oddities and started digging around in his pants. After a solid 40 seconds fishing around in his pocket he pulled out a loaded life card pistol (sorry to disappoint you guys) and was REAL proud of it. I tried to be diplomatic...

...and just like that, I had a new signature.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll take "things taken out of context" for 400

oh dear

I suppose there are worse ways to be remembered.

tumblr_o26aqfflyu1v4a8wfo1_540.jpg

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Way way way back in the day when I pretended to train in martial arts, we would do what I guess you could call GTFOM drills. Someone in the class would be deemed an attacker unbeknownst to the rest of us while we went through a normal self-defense class but armed with a blue gun or safety knife or nothing until the attacker "attacked".

Very very very seldom was the defender successful by use of a weapon...

My recollection is that at the point that the parties were locked up or the attacker had two hands on you, the defender "won" by use of their hands/feet - not a weapon. If you could anticipate the attack with at least a few feet of distance - you had a chance with a weapon.

My guess is the defender wins would be even less in the case of a real attacker.

Before anyone says it - yes - this was playtime and not the real world. Yes; I would most likely lose this type of a real world encounter.

but I have a keyboard.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Way way way back in the day when I pretended to train in martial arts, we would do what I guess you could call GTFOM drills. Someone in the class would be deemed an attacker unbeknownst to the rest of us while we went through a normal self-defense class but armed with a blue gun or safety knife or nothing until the attacker "attacked".

Very very very seldom was the defender successful by use of a weapon...

My recollection is that at the point that the parties were locked up or the attacker had two hands on you, the defender "won" by use of their hands/feet - not a weapon. If you could anticipate the attack with at least a few feet of distance - you had a chance with a weapon.

My guess is the defender wins would be even less in the case of a real attacker.

Before anyone says it - yes - this was playtime and not the real world. Yes; I would most likely lose this type of a real world encounter.

but I have a keyboard.

FWIW, Craig Douglas (Shivworks) teaches to not attempt to access a weapon until you're in control of the grapple, else it just becomes a fight over the weapon(s) in play and your ability to control the outcome greatly diminishes. IE, random chance becomes a bigger component. Craig is a widely recognized expert in this arena, and not without real world experience.

HCALREF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have an NAA revolver that I carry about 1/2 the time. Depends on where I am at or where I am going. I have shot at least 1000 rds thru this gun and it has always been 100 % reliable. Since you already own one, why not try some different grips on your gun. Much cheaper than buying another gun for $500. Just a thought.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Going for a weapon "to get somebody off of you," is a recipe for failure.

Any bad guy experienced in real fighting will quickly immobilize whichever arm reaches for any weapon.

Short of already having your flashlight/kubaton in your hand and possibly pepper spray in the other, it's already too late to act.

Doesn't really matter what the gun is at bad breath distance. It'd be better to pick a gun that you can shoot well a bit farther out, after making some distance with your hand to hand techniques.

:twocents:

Top Bottom