Anyone have input on having a vehicle transported?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Like the title says, I've never done it but am looking/thinking. Wondered if anyone had good experiences with a specific company. Or bad experiences. Or thoughts that might be good information in my endeavor. Would like to weigh the difference between transport and fly in/drive home type of activity.

Thanks!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    what are you transporting (street car, race car, truck, classic), how far, what's your budget, are road chips from rocks and such acceptable, enclosed or open trailer. There are a lot of details before anyone could give you any good advice.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Well, I knew there was a LOT I didn't know about this!

About 700 mile trip. Street car - not sure I'd call it a classic though it's about 30 years old. It has pretty darn good original paint, so don't want it chipped up on the journey.

I don't know that I have a budget. I haven't made a deal, and just wonder what the transport will add to the cost. I roughly figure I could fly in and drive home for about for about $300, but it's a 4 spd car and I have a bum shoulder (surgery) at the moment so that really won't work for me.

Do the transport companies provide insurance??

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    The only thing I know is that you can negotiate with the companies. A friend had her car shipped to LA for $700 and she played to companies against each other for the best deal

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    There are companies that will do this; I worked for one for a short time in the 90's when I lived in Chicago. They had 3 ways you could have a car transported:

1) casual driver, which was the cheapest. Someone wanting to take a trip to wherever you needed your car would sign up and take your car. We would check their driving record. You'd pay us a few hundred bucks, and the driver would pay us as well, if I recall correctly. With this route you wait for someone to come along who wants to go where you need your car. Sometimes it might take a while.

2) professional driver, who was on our payroll, and drove cars to different places for us. We'd charge you a bit more, and pay the driver.

3) flatbed. We'd arrange for a car hauler to come get your car and flatbed it to wherever you needed it to be (usually a parking lot nearby). This was the most expensive route.

Yes, we were insured. There's a lot I don't remember about this job apparently. I was not a driver; I worked in the office.

Here's a link to the company I worked for:

Autodriveaway Vehicle Transportation Offices

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    I've used "Logistics by Bontreger". Out of Bristol, IN.

Moved a car from Santa Barbara, CA to Carmel, In for 'bout $900. Personalized service to my driveway. Other than some tar on the sides of the car, the open trailer avenue was OK. This was in November and the pick-up time to my driveway time was (I think) 5 days.

pm me for contact.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Yes federal law says that while the vehicle is being transported it is the responsibility of the transporter. The are liable for damage however it is sort of like car insurance they only cover so much until the cars "Value" is reached then they just cut a check and wash there hands or it.

S8MS-01904 is a fare price, inclosed trailers cost more. being on the top row of cars costs more as well.

My experience has only been with race cars and high end classic cars and they pay a ton of money to transport them. But the trailers are the same ones professional race teams use and they can only get 4-6 cars per trailer. So sorry I won't be of much help.

Top Bottom