Anyone have experience with Tier 1 Concealed appendix holsters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yep. I'm leaning towards IWB not working for me in any form. I went through this a few years ago, but I'm a bit too... erm, hirsute for IWB to work for me. I am not one who wears a tucked in shirt with another shirt over it. I'm a guy who wears a super baggy Tshirt and loves it. In the cooler months I could probably IWB, but certainly not when it's warm. I get hair pulled occasionally even with carrying OWB, so IWB would just be worse. I just remembered the X Macro I bought from an INGO member came with a small IWB holster. I just tried it out and I could barely reholster without getting hairs yanked out. No thank you!

There is pressure to go appendix carry. We all know lots of respected trainers, carriers, INGOers, YouTubers, etc. who do this very successfully. Just watch some YouTube videos of classes with nearly all shooters on the line carrying appendix.

I'll never forget the gent in a FOF class I took way back before appendix carry was the "norm" it is today. This competition seasoned shooter just could not match a defense training appendix carry shooter's draw. :ugh:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If it makes sense I'll do it. If it doesn't, meh. I carry OWB at 2 o'clock / 2:30 and it works quite well for me. I like having the gun in front of me instead of in back of me and it's reasonably comfortable. It prints slightly, but I also don't really care.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Yep. I'm leaning towards IWB not working for me in any form. I went through this a few years ago, but I'm a bit too... erm, hirsute for IWB to work for me. I am not one who wears a tucked in shirt with another shirt over it. I'm a guy who wears a super baggy Tshirt and loves it. In the cooler months I could probably IWB, but certainly not when it's warm. I get hair pulled occasionally even with carrying OWB, so IWB would just be worse. I just remembered the X Macro I bought from an INGO member came with a small IWB holster. I just tried it out and I could barely reholster without getting hairs yanked out. No thank you!

May I suggest a trip to here !?! ;)

1686157086404.png

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Tier1 Concealments bread and butter is their AIWB holsters.

Imo if you plan to keep carrying at the OWB 2oclock position, there’s other options that are the same quality and cheaper. There’s only so much you can do with kydex and belt loops.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Tier1 Concealments bread and butter is their AIWB holsters.

Imo if you plan to keep carrying at the OWB 2oclock position, there’s other options that are the same quality and cheaper. There’s only so much you can do with kydex and belt loops.

I have a Gunfightersinc Baba Yaga Ronin holster on order that I'm looking forward to trying out. If it carries as well as my standard Ronin holster with my P10C OR, I'll be a happy man.

MidwesternStructures

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2023
    Indiana
    Big question is whether you can carry with ANY holster and tolerate appendix carry?

I love the concealability of appendix carry. However, I'm just not convinced that there is a way for me to do it? Maybe with twenty pounds of belly fat gone? Trying to chip that away, as I have for years.

I had a much respected INGOer give a cool demonstration of his Enigma a month ago. It was very cool, very adjustable and adaptable. Quite an investment for something that still might not work though.

Then there is still the compromise that you make running an appendix holster. No getting around the idea that you grow used to pointing your pistol at yourself drawing and holstering in certain body positions. The clip-on holster alleviates the problem for me, at least partially. One can remove the holster for reholstering and reclip a holstered unshootable pistol on the belt. :twocents:

300th parallel. Great video if you haven’t seen it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks. Something tells me that this could be an expensive journey, unless I happen to roll the dice and come up a winner with the first selection.

One reason I suggested the one I did is it's adaptability. You can adjust it quite a bit. The wing claw thing is really what sets apart the made for appendix holsters vs a general IWB, to me. It rotates the grip in and helps with concealment but doesn't add any 'hot spot'. I also find a longer gun is more comfortable. I use a G48 holster for my G43X, makes it less likely to roll outward and is more stable.

The junk pillow add on can make a big difference. No hard plastic contacting your skin down below and the wedge shape helps prevent roll out again.

Appendix has it's pros and cons. Yes, it's marginally faster. I think it conceals better if you're doing a lot of moving, bending, etc. I like it with a buttoned suit jacket for vanity purposes. I like it with a backpack for non-interference with straps purposes. BUT it is harder to conceal the draw/talk your way to the gun under observation. I find it easier to get to when seat belted in, whereas before I "needed" an ankle holster to have an easy to get to gun while wearing a suit jacket and seat belted in. I personally won't carry a gun without a hammer or striker controlled device because "nobody ever needs to speed holster" has not been true in my personal experience.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm down almost 30lbs from last year and am starting to think about giving appendix carry a shot. How much does thinness of a pistol impact comfort? Pistol size too. Does anyone appendix carry a 75B or P226?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm down almost 30lbs from last year and am starting to think about giving appendix carry a shot. How much does thinness of a pistol impact comfort? Pistol size too. Does anyone appendix carry a 75B or P226?

Thinner is better. It's more comfortable as it takes less room in your jeans/pants/shorts.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I carry both my Tactical and a 226SAO both with Romeo1 pros and I like them both. About the same size as the P320, just heavier.
    With the recent P229 purchase discovered the shorter length makes it much more comfortable to bend over. I can’t answer many questions about thin, though. I’m pretty barrel chested and shirts generally hang off, I carry those without printing in a button up, but a t shirt may print some.

I have yet to make a holster for the Omega, which I’m looking forward to carrying. Not sure why that hasn’t happened yet but it’s on the short list. I’m sure it will be very comfortable.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Thickness hasn't mattered much to me for comfort, but does impact concealment. Length seems to be the biggest variable.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My OWB holster for the X Macro came in yesterday and I wore it all day afterwards. Pretty comfortable, but yeah, the gun is almost exactly the same size as my old P10C OR, only difference is thickness and capacity and a slightly shorter barrel. The thinness doesn't change anything much since I'm carrying OWB. If it were IWB it would be very slightly more comfortable. I know it was when I switched from carrying a G19 to a Shield back in the day. The only real reason I'm switching to the X Macro is that it has 2 more rounds of carrying capacity in a slightly smaller package. If I decide to try IWB it'll make a slight difference over a thicker gun. The trigger isn't as nice as on my P10C OR and the view through the K optic instead of the C optic is slightly less, but I like the gun better overall. Now to take some training with this gun (and the backup TacOps model I just picked up) to get more used to the gun.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    T1C is as flat as it gets for AIWB, among all the holsters I bought. I think LAS Concealment is a close second, their sidecar bend is pretty neat and doesn't collapse as much. I personally like the simple and basic Phlster Skeleton setups.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    :popcorn: AIWB is my preferred. My issue is I'm not 6'5"@200#+ but 5'11"@145. I need it to ride a bit higher so to not pinch the crap out of me when I sit. A P226 is out of the question for me. P2000sk or P99c works fine but the clip to bottom of the holster distance is critical for fit. Seeing some of the suggestions above with various hole placements is interesting.

My my $.02. Thats all...

Top Bottom