• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A past professor of mine has made posts on FB recently about feeling unsafe since she is recently single. She asked what she could do to feel more secure and protect her home and her children. I don't know the whole story, but she's spooked for some reason.

Anyways, being the 2A supporter that I am, I mentioned buying a firearm and getting very familiar with said firearm. We talked extensively about gun ownership, and the responsibilities that come with carrying a handgun. She has since applied for her LTCH and wants to tag along with me to the range next Friday to get a feel for different firearms.

Here is my problem: The only caliber handguns I own and carry are .40s. I would like to get her to try out maybe a 9mm and .380 in addition to my 40s. I don't want to start a caliber argument here, if she's more comfortable with a .380 than a 9 or a .40, I'd rather see her with a .380 than nothing at all.

Would any of you (I know there are a few local female shooters here in town) in Fort Wayne be willing to rent me a pistol for a few hours next Friday? OR - you could tag along with us to the range and bring some of your goodies and knowledge/experience to share with my friend. I will pony up for the ammo and your guest fee to shoot.

I shoot up at the Izaak Walton League up in Huntertown. Let me know - Thanks!!

Joe :patriot: :ingo:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If I lived closer I would bring everything I had to help you out. I am sure there will be someone close to you on here willing to do that very thing. I hope so at least.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Make sure she knows that if she takes certain courses, she'll get to try out different calibers then.

johnsmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    A past professor of mine has made posts on FB recently about feeling unsafe since she is recently single. She asked what she could do to feel more secure and protect her home and her children. I don't know the whole story, but she's spooked for some reason.

Anyways, being the 2A supporter that I am, I mentioned buying a firearm and getting very familiar with said firearm. We talked extensively about gun ownership, and the responsibilities that come with carrying a handgun. She has since applied for her LTCH and wants to tag along with me to the range next Friday to get a feel for different firearms.

Here is my problem: The only caliber handguns I own and carry are .40s. I would like to get her to try out maybe a 9mm and .380 in addition to my 40s. I don't want to start a caliber argument here, if she's more comfortable with a .380 than a 9 or a .40, I'd rather see her with a .380 than nothing at all.

Would any of you (I know there are a few local female shooters here in town) in Fort Wayne be willing to rent me a pistol for a few hours next Friday? OR - you could tag along with us to the range and bring some of your goodies and knowledge/experience to share with my friend. I will pony up for the ammo and your guest fee to shoot.

My wife uses a Ruger 357 with 38 ammo in it and she likes it a lot. I also shoot at IWL. We also have a very small 380 which I don't like much, but she is welcome to shoot it. I am busy this Saturday from 10 til about 2. Let me know, I'd like to help out.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    IWL... Have they move the targets up ? Last time I was there for an INGO meet and greet, the distance for handgun was way too far. To get the confidence of a new shooter up, probably best around 7 yards...

Any way you would be open to Roush at Huntington ? Looking at the weather forecast, I'm not sure this weekend would be very good. Give me a holler if next weekend & Roush would interest you. Wife and I was thinking of going and we could offer a couple different 9mm's ( Kahr CW9 & Glock G19 ) and a couple very soft shooting .45's ( 1911's ) We could also bring a SP101 and security six with small grips in case you two wanted to rule out revolvers...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Find an INGO meet and greet in your area. There will be "more weapons than you can shake a stick at."
    Not really sure what that means, but it seems to apply her.
    Training class is a good recommendation.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Or it could be a great excuse to pick up a new pistol. :) I have added more than one or two to my collection with the intent on introducing friends to different options in handguns.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Or it could be a great excuse to pick up a new pistol. :) I have added more than one or two to my collection with the intent on introducing friends to different options in handguns.

For realz. :D

And I think a .22 would be the best to start her on. Small-framed 9mm have some serious pop and muzzle flip. Not to mention hella-tight springs which makes manual slide movement that much harder. Or a .357 revolver with .38s.

For this first trip to the range, don't worry about considering what she might end up carrying. Just let her become familiar with shooting and how a firearm functions. I think if you limit her carry options to what she becomes comfortable with in a first trip, you unnecessarily limit her carry options. 3 more trips to the range and she might be comfortable with a 9mm more than she was her first. And I've never met a woman who wasn't comfortable with a Commander or larger size 1911 once she became familiar/comfortable with shooting (provided she has the grip to depress the grip safety spring enough). It's just not a powerful recoil despite the expectations based on caliber. And different firearms present different calibers in different ways so sticking solely with caliber as a criterion is unwise.

If I were closer, I'd join you, but alas, 3 hours away just won't work. Have fun and be sure to provide an AAR.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    For realz. :D

And I think a .22 would be the best to start her on. Small-framed 9mm have some serious pop and muzzle flip. Not to mention hella-tight springs which makes manual slide movement that much harder. Or a .357 revolver with .38s.

For this first trip to the range, don't worry about considering what she might end up carrying. Just let her become familiar with shooting and how a firearm functions. I think if you limit her carry options to what she becomes comfortable with in a first trip, you unnecessarily limit her carry options. 3 more trips to the range and she might be comfortable with a 9mm more than she was her first. And I've never met a woman who wasn't comfortable with a Commander or larger size 1911 once she became familiar/comfortable with shooting (provided she has the grip to depress the grip safety spring enough). It's just not a powerful recoil despite the expectations based on caliber. And different firearms present different calibers in different ways so sticking solely with caliber as a criterion is unwise.

If I were closer, I'd join you, but alas, 3 hours away just won't work. Have fun and be sure to provide an AAR.

Agree with all this.
    I'd go with you, let you use my guns, but I'm also a little distance away.

johnsmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    IWL... Have they move the targets up ? Last time I was there for an INGO meet and greet, the distance for handgun was way too far. To get the confidence of a new shooter up, probably best around 7 yards...

Any way you would be open to Roush at Huntington ? Looking at the weather forecast, I'm not sure this weekend would be very good. Give me a holler if next weekend & Roush would interest you. Wife and I was thinking of going and we could offer a couple different 9mm's ( Kahr CW9 & Glock G19 ) and a couple very soft shooting .45's ( 1911's ) We could also bring a SP101 and security six with small grips in case you two wanted to rule out revolvers...

There are four distances set up for hand guns now. It is really nice to shoot under the canopy.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    New shooters, regardless of gender, should get the opportunity to shoot a .22 first. Then work "up". That way, you've got less interference (recoil/muzzle flip/noise) with learning a proper grip and stance without developing bad habits like flinching.
    Once you learn the right way -small- you can shoot anything from there on up.
    If I didn't work that day, I'd be willing to meet up with a couple different toys in .22 and .45 to add to your "try it". Sorry...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Definitely start with a .22lr pistol. My sister wanted to shoot for the first time so I let her shoot a .38 with some very light reloads. She still didn't care for it too much. She did like my .22lr rifle though.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Wish that I was closer. I dont have any 22 to start her on, but I do have more then a couple 9mm, a 380, and a couple others. As was stated before, the more the merrier.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN

Have her contact NIFT from this forum. He is an NRA Instructor in Ft. Wayne. Most NRA instructors are very good with new shooters and have a wide variety of handguns to use.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I know you don't want to scare her, but starting with a .22 can't be necessary for everyone. Five year olds can shoot a .22. A grown woman can handle a 9mm or a .40. Just make sure she's holding it right.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I know you don't want to scare her, but starting with a .22 can't be necessary for everyone. Five year olds can shoot a .22. A grown woman can handle a 9mm or a .40. Just make sure she's holding it right.

ANYone can handle those calibers (even a young kid, and that can backed up!), provided they get the basics of good form down first. A .22 provides that opportunity better than bigger calibers.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Find an INGO meet and greet in your area. There will be "more weapons than you can shake a stick at."
    Not really sure what that means, but it seems to apply her.
    Training class is a good recommendation.

LOL....i dont think you wanna shake a stick at a bunch of people with weapons, they might get mad. :laugh:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    ANYone can handle those calibers (even a young kid, and that can backed up!), provided they get the basics of good form down first. A .22 provides that opportunity better than bigger calibers.

Agreed! My 12 year old son handles 1911s better than many grown men. Heck, with mid range loads in my SuperBlackhawk, he is still pretty proficient, just the long barrel gets a bit heavy for him after a couple of cylinders. But the basics were learned with a .22 single action revolver.

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the ideas and suggestions folks. I think for our first few shoots/lessons I will stick to the basics and bring the trusty Buckmark. As the weather gets better I'm sure we will see some local meet and greets in the area and I can introduce her to a greater variety of handguns.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Thanks for the ideas and suggestions folks. I think for our first few shoots/lessons I will stick to the basics and bring the trusty Buckmark. As the weather gets better I'm sure we will see some local meet and greets in the area and I can introduce her to a greater variety of handguns.
    That sounds like a solid plan. :yesway:

Top Bottom